School psychiatric wants me to withdraw MDE (UPDATE)

Sheila

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Extremely difficult child, defiant, argumentative, non-stop on the go, talks incessantly, quirky. Was a easy child from birth to age 1. </div></div>

Early intervention is key, so if your child is having behavioral or academic problems in school, I recommend that you follow through, but that's strictly your decision.

Labels? I'd put worrying about labels on the back burner. If your child has a neurological disorder, it is what it is. Labeling the disorder or not labeling it will not change the fact that it exists.

Children with-behavioral or academic problems are labeled informally by educators, peers, et al, as willful, mean, lazy, indifferent, and/or undisciplined, etc., and tend to be isolated, ignored, punitively punished and more which creates a whole other set of problems. A formal "label" can open doors to the help your child get what he needs in school.

While the Sp Ed Director is definately not an impartial party as he indicates, his comment that "if an error was made by staff I will ensure that it is addressed promptly" is encouraging. You tendered an opportunity for the sd to correct itself, and on the surface the sd appears willing to reconsider their decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if you want to take other steps I would like to hear about this from your point of view. </div></div>

This could be a bit of a fishing expedition, e.g., how much does mom know about special education rights and responsibilities?, is she committed to taking this issue to a higher level if it's not resolved within the district?, etc.

I wouldn't call to discuss your point of view; I'd respond in an email to get an appointment scheduled.

If you decide to go forward, just stick to the facts:

My perspective is:
*there are behavior or academic problems based on feedback from educators via formal and/or informal meetings/calls/discipline issues. We have suspected something is not right with-difficult child since he was about 12 months old.
*We've come to learn that early identification and intervention is important.
*parent opinion that an evaluation needs to be done to identify underlying problems
*IDEA says that a sd must evaluate if a disability is suspected,
*sd personnel suspects there is a disability.

brandyf

hello, we have so much in common. my boy is in the first grade, but did just get suspended for 1 day. he has went to this school since preschool and has been kicked out at least 1 to 2 days every year. your child sounds just like mine. we knew he was different from about 1.5 to 2 years old. let me tell you, sure does shake ya up, and you are in my prayers. i am in teh exact same boat. teh school thinks its behavior...i'll i hear is "try to calm down and dont worry so much..." , we are back with the psycologist of my choice...the school has not referred or intervened what so ever. i have tip toed around the thougt of an evaluation, i would love one, but again like you...????i dont knwo what i am doing. or what i am suposed Occupational Therapist (OT) be doing and its like evryone has their own motives..

our psychiatric visit was yesterday and in 1 hour visit she didnt see any signs fo anything..but it was just hte first visit, and my difficult child can behave in quiet settings like an angel when he wants. but let me tell you, it turns...he changes into someone else.

gave the teacher a form of like 50 questions about my difficult child from teh psychiatric's office to complete. we will see what happens.

everyday he hates school more and more, he is depressed, angry, aggitated, its killing me. i just want to hold him and make everything better.

and like someone said earlier, they will label him with our with-o you...they are just humans too... i pray for some label to come out of our pschy visits...just for protection.

you will be in my prayers...adn thanks for all the information you have dug up for me.

hang in there, and remember, everyday is a new day...

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Children with-behavioral or academic problems are labeled informally by educators, peers, et al, as willful, mean, lazy, indifferent, and/or undisciplined, etc., and tend to be isolated, ignored, punitively punished and more which creates a whole other set of problems. A formal "label" can open doors to the help your child get what he needs in school.
</div></div>

Sheila, I agree with this completely. I would rather have him labeled ODD/ADHD or whatever, than a brat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This could be a bit of a fishing expedition, e.g., how much does mom know about special education rights and responsibilities?, is she committed to taking this issue to a higher level if it's not resolved within the district?, etc.

I wouldn't call to discuss your point of view; I'd respond in an email to get an appointment scheduled.
</div></div>

I agree with this also. Definitely a fishing expedition. I am careful to have things in writing and if I do meet with him, it won't be alone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you decide to go forward, just stick to the facts:

My perspective is:
*there are behavior or academic problems based on feedback from educators via formal and/or informal meetings/calls/discipline issues. We have suspected something is not right with-difficult child since he was about 12 months old.
*We've come to learn that early identification and intervention is important.
*parent opinion that an evaluation needs to be done to identify underlying problems
*IDEA says that a sd must evaluate if a disability is suspected,
*sd personnel suspects there is a disability.
</div></div>

You got it exactly right!

I will take the weekend to think about things and decide what to do. In my opinion, the director should be looking into things to see if they were handled properly with or without me asking him to.

Thanks for everything and have a peaceful weekend!