School Supply Bank

KTMom91

Step, post-its are used to teach the kids about skimming the pages for info when writing reports. They write the fact on the Post-it, stick it to the page, and continue looking for facts.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
They clearly don't think about what kids do with post-it notes.

In 7th grade?!

I had to hide mine - O didn't take them. J, on the other hand, likes to decorate with them.

I'll get PINK or some color he doesn't like.

DammitJanet

Ok, I will have to admit that we have a fill the bus drive going on here. People fill up boxes at Walmart, grocery stores, Office Depot, etc and then about 2 weeks before school is to start they have a day when they open up the farmer's market and people who need help can go and pick up basic supplies.

Here kids are only allowed to have mesh or plastic book bags so thats all they hand out. I dont think they get anything like graphing calculators but they probably get basic school stuff.

Kathy813

Staff member
Since I teach in a high school, we don't have grade level supply lists but each teacher has a "suggested" supply list for their class (usually a three ring binder and notebook paper). No one has to buy or donate anything and no child will be denied. In fact, if a parent goes to the administration and says that they can't afford something that their child needs for school (an example for my class would be a graphing calculator) the school supplies one for a low rental fee or even free in certain circumstances.

However, I do want to point out that at least in Georgia things like tissue boxes and paper towels are not supplied for teachers out of tax money. I went through 15 boxes of tissues for my 150 students during the course of last school year. I had approximately 6 boxes donated at the start of the school year and paid for the rest myself. Many teachers' families have also been hit by the bad economy so spending money on things like that hurts our budgets, too.

Everyone sneezes so just sending in tissues when your child has a cold isn't a practical solution. Just please keep an open mind on things like that. My school district has also greatly reduced the amount of copy paper supplied to each teacher so I am now buying that for my students also. These are hard times for everyone.

~Kathy

KTMom91

I've been in a lot of classrooms where the teacher has written on the side of the tissue box something like, "Thank you, Missy and family!" Same thing with the hand sanitizer.

tiredmommy

Kathy- Duckie has allergies so I feel honor bound to supply tissues. I bought a 4 box pack for the classroom.

Duckie is in a nut-free classroom due to two other students having nut allergies. All food consumed in the classroom must be nut free so her teacher keeps some snacks on hand in case someone accidentally packs an unsafe snack. She provides these, not the school (she has a big heart). Duckie thought it was scandalous that a few of the kids would always "forget" to bring a snack or even ditch their "yucky" snack so the could eat from the teacher's stash.

I also make a point to donate full packages of paper goods such as plates or napkins because the teacher will use them. I figure my family has been blessed that husband has held onto his job while so many have been laid off... so we should donate when we're able to do so.

H

HaoZi

Schools here have a loooong supply list AND you have to pay book fees on top of it. Triple digit fees, even in kindergarten ($120 or so). If you're on the free or reduced lunch program they knock it down to between 1/3 and 1/2 of that. Price goes up every year, I saw the fees for middle and high school a few years ago and it's scary. FAPE my lily white a.....
Not to mention I'd like to know where I'm supposed to buy a blue dry-erase marker by itself (everything I can find is part of a pack and she needs two) and no one around here sells Sharpie twin-tips either. Regular Sharpies, fine point Sharpies, wide Sharpies, every color Sharpies, but no twin-tip Sharpies.

There is a church here that does a carnival and backpack (with some supplies inside) give-away every year. This year I have most of her stuff covered thanks to you lovely ladies intro'ing me to the couponing stuff! In fact the sales I hit were so great I bought extra pencils, pens, and highlighters to donate here (our apartment complex also started taking up donations of supplies this year).

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
HaoZi, come see me, I'm only a few hours away. We have twin-tip Sharpies.

I have no problems with that - but when I send in 5 or 6 boxes of Kleenex a year, it gets annoying. One per kid? OK. Even two. But...

The biggest issues hit later. "We need..." everything from ice cream to soda pop to prizes for some game. And they give you a list, that the kid uses half of, and you have to get a bunch of other stuff later.

I'm sticking to basics - the school J is at, all the teachers send their requirements - so he will get notebooks, ruled paper, binders, pencils and pens - and we will go shopping again after the first week.