School transfer info--good and bad

TerryJ2

I checked in with-the biz ofc at difficult child's school yesterday, briefly told the woman that we've been having monthly mtngs and he's struggling, and asked if we were bound by contract to pay the rest of the tuition if we agreed he should leave. The short answer is yes.
The longer answer is that we can write a ltr to the board and explain the situation, and see if we can get out of it. She said there are extenuating circumstances, and pointed to a section of the contract that said that, and gave the example of military families.
My husband has been on the board of one of the kids' schools and said that most of the families that get nailed financially are the ones that don't communicate. That gives me hope.
Also, I stopped by our local public middle school and got the paperwork. It turns out that their semester starts Jan. 15, the same as difficult child's school! I don't know where I got the idea it ended today.
Whew.

Christy

I would try getting a letter form his psychiatrist, therapist etc... stating their recommendation for an iep and a special education services available through he public schools. If the private school cannot provide these services, I think this should excuse you from the financial commitment.

Good Luck
Christy

Marguerite

Use the hhip pocket nerve to communicate - work out how much it will cost them (in terms of effort to draw up and to administer an IEP, for example) to keep him there, vs how much they are likely to lose by letting you off the remainder of the fee.

If you have to pay the fees, you may as well leave him there (which will cost them as well as annoy them) but if you are let off the fees then it's easier for you to walk away and save everybody a lot of money and a lot of stress.

Good luck!

Marg