School update.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I apologize for disappearing. I have been fighting something since the beginning of January and it has finally gotten me down.
Wee difficult child is on day 6 at school. The first two days were hideous - biting, kicking, screaming, hitting, throwing chairs, calling names, etc. Then he had Wednesday off, and Thursday was a whole new ballgame. He still very much needs the one-on-one's, but the aggression has drastically subsided at school and at home. Perhaps this streak is over? (knock on wood)
The school is really working with him. Yesterday he came home with a list of teeny tiny things to find. He had found a picture of a miniature forrest in an I Spy book and wants to create it. That is his "goal" this week - his reward for working is to work on creating the miniature forrest. They are even starting to get some actual work out of him. Some of the older kids we camp with are doing mentoring projects for high school and they have identified some of those kids that wee difficult child likes and are going to try having them come in thru the week, too. Its wonderful. And despite his claim that he still hates school, he was up and ready to go this morning.
I just hope it lasts.
On the not so positive side, his teachers have also seen his inappropriate attachments. They brought it up at the IEP meeting yesterday. Which was interesting, because Sunday we played at the park and the mother of an 8 year old girl that he was playing with and had latched onto came to me because it was becoming a problem. All I could recall after leaving that day was how long ago it had been when I'd posted a vent here about people thinking wee difficult child's clinginess was cute and how it wouldn't be "cute" very much longer. Well, I guess its not cute anymore.

crazymama30

I am glad the school is working with him so far. Hopefully that continues as they are required by law to accomodate him.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

TerryJ2

Feel better!

I think the forrest thing sounds neat.

So sorry about difficult child's clinginess and, of course, the awful week. Sigh.

So, the teachers brought it up at the IEP mtng, but did they have any suggestions?

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry you are sick! Take care of yourself and don't let this become something serious.

I am glad that the school is working out well. It is actually GOOD that they are seeing his "behaviors" this early on. That means that they won't balk at providing the services and accommodations he needs. And THAT is GOOD!

I am sorry he had a rough week though. But glad he turned it around. I hope the school can find a way to help with the attachments.

Sounds like this school was a very good choice!

Feel better soon.

jannie

trying to survive....
Thanks for the update...I am so glad to hear about the progress so far...it does sound like the school is really trying to connect and establish a relationship with difficult child....Wishing you a good wednesday...

M

ML

I was glad to "see" you but sorry to hear you've been sick. I hope you feel better soon and I am crossing my fingers that difficult child starts to settle into his new routine. Hugs, ML