school vent

L

Liahona

I am dealing with 3 different schools this year and all 3 of them are ticking me off.

difficult child 1 got home today all excited about playing Halo in his after school program. difficult child 1 does not have both feet in reality. If he plays a game enough it becomes his reality which is why he is restricted to games like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart. We are trialing the Legend of Zelda and so far he is doing o.k. with it. One of his former therapists found out x was letting difficult child 1 play Halo and actually called x at home to try to get him to stop. (Normally people avoid x at all costs and this was the only time he ever initiated contact with x.) During school time they showed the Hunger Games. I haven't seen the movie, but I've read the books. difficult child 1 has read the books, but hasn't seen the movie. Only because I won't let him. If the movie is anything like the books its not a movie difficult child 1 should be watching. Luckily he didn't get to see it because he is failing Spanish.

difficult child 2 got to go to inclusion today. I had asked that they start with something very structured like math (not as many social skills to navigate.) The teacher said that they would start with computers. Its not math, but I was o.k. with it. Guess what he went to today! Art and music and they had the first fire drill of the year while he was with the 2nd grade class. Plus, the autism class had a sub today. And another autistic kid started in that class today. One that difficult child 2 knows from his class last year. difficult child 2 does not like him because "he is mean". Talk about setting a kid up to fail. Somehow difficult child 2 still got along well today.

difficult child 3 is being bullied during recess about once a week. I've been talking to the teacher about it. I talked to the playground aide about it and nothing was done. I called the principal who started looking into it. He called me back to tell me that difficult child 3 has never told the teacher or playground aide anything about the bullying. DUH! The kid is autistic! (I pointed that fact out to him nicer in the phone call.) He countered with difficult child 3 came up and talked to him when he was in difficult child 3's class room. I informed him that the only times the autism comes out is when difficult child 3 is under stress or physically hurt and being bullied counts as both. I reminded him of difficult child 3's failure to communicate the first day of school when his JRA was acting up. He said that the teacher has been looking for signs of arthritis everyday since then and she couldn't see any. I have told these people many times that his JRA only acts up once or twice a year, but when it does he has a hard time (or it isn't possible to) walking. I don't think he believes that difficult child 3 has JRA or autism or is being bullied. I am so frustrated. He did suggest giving difficult child 3's picture to the playground aides so if he comes and stands by one of them they should know he is trying to tell them something. He is also going to formally introduce difficult child 3 to the playground aides in hopes difficult child 3 will feel more comfortable talking to them. I'm not hopeful about either of these working, but they might. husband has told difficult child 3 that if anyone tries to hurt him to punch them in the nose. husband said he'd rather difficult child 3 got in trouble for fighting than be bullied. The problem with this is that it is a group of older kids. And, difficult child 3 doesn't understand who he is and is not supposed to be punching in the nose. husband has already had to clarify that it does NOT mean his sisters. :groan:

Thanks for listening.

T

TeDo

I am sooooo glad I don't have those issues anymore. difficult child 2 got bullied all the time and no one believed difficult child 1 had Asperger's OR PTSD OR sensory issues. Yea, I don't miss the fighting for my kids.

{{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} to you and the difficult child's!

L

Liahona

I am so tempted to homeschool difficult child 2 and difficult child 3 right now. I'm trying to work with the school though. difficult child 3 especially likes the social interaction school brings during class.

JJJ

difficult child 1 is 12????? I would be screaming at the school. Both of those are incredibly inappropriate choices for school and for 12 year olds in general!

DDD

Lordy I am so totally glad that I survived all the school years....I do understand. The thing that irritated me the most was when teachers or administrators would smile and say "I have talked with difficult child a few times and there doesn't seem to be any problem." Yeah, right, difficult child's doctors and I are imagining things. Sigh! Hang in there. Hugs DDD

TerryJ2

Arrgh! I would be so mad!!!!
You have to keep on some of the teachers as much as you have to keep on the kids!

L

Liahona

Yeah, pulling him from the after school program will be the easiest solution to this. Even if he doesn't play it if it's anywhere near him he will be watching it. I won't be there to monitor and now that difficult child 1 knows he'll be in trouble for it chances are high that he'll lie to me if he does play it. And right now I don't have the energy to fight for them to remove it for everyone.

Thanks for the listening ear and letting me vent.

greenrene

Isn't Halo rated M? As in, over 18? I know the one we have is. How on earth can they justify having it in an after school program? Is this a public school program? I am just gobsmacked at the inappropriateness of this.

DDD

I "think" I would calmly point out that PG13 is not legal for youngsters and innocently suggest that maybe someone just didn't notice the rating. It's a shame for you to sacrafice what little free time you have because some dumb bunny made an ignorant choice.

by the way......I made the same mistake twelve years ago or so and let difficult child#1 buy the game that "everybody" was playing.
Two other CD Moms also messed up. It was a major problem in all our homes because we had to take it away. Sigh.
Just remembered it was called "Grand Theft Auto". Glad it popped in my head or I would have days trying to recall the name, LOL.

It really could be an "innocent" mistake and "maybe" once they realize it the school will deep six it. fingers crossed. DDD