School wants reasons why I requested IEE...

jcox

I have requested IEEs for my son in all areas because I do not believe that the school's testing was adequate. The school since agreed to redo their speech testing and provide him with direct PT services... so I amended that part of my request. I would still like the testing done in the areas of cognitive, neuropsychologist, psychiatric, and educational. The SPED director wants specific reasons why I want each test I want. I wrote that I feel thier testing is inadequate and also they were not comprehensive enough because of my son's diagnoses. Does that sound good? How specific do I have to be with reasoning?

Sheila

The sd may ask for your reason, but you do not have to tell them. You simply "disagree with the evaluation."

if a parent requests an IEE, a public agency [school district] may ask why the parent objects to the public evaluation, but may not require the explanation; and "the public agency may not unreasonably delay either providing the [IEE] at public expense or initiating a due process hearing to defend the public evaluation."
They do this in order to limit IEEs which must comply with Initial Evaluations definition unless the parent and sd agree to limit it. In a nut shell, the initial evaluation and IEE's, " In evaluating each child with a disability under §§300.531-300.536, the evaluation is sufficiently comprehensive to identify all of the child's special education and related services needs, whether or not commonly linked to the disability category in which the child has been classified. The child is assessed in all areas related to the suspected disability, including, if appropriate, health, vision, hearing, social and emotional status, general intelligence, academic performance, communicative status, and motor abilities.

Also, the sd must provide you with a list of where you can get evaluations performed. HOWEVER, you are not required to use the professionals on the sd list. (Frankly, I'd avoid those on the list. Too often those on the list and the sd have too close of a relationship to truly be Independent.")

Sheila

One other thing for you to consider.

I personally do not pay for IEEs and then ask for reimbursement. I select the evaluator(s) and tell the Sp Ed Director to get with-the professional(s) and make payment arrangements prior to proceeding with-appointments.