Screwed up at work. I am feeling like the biggest failure as a person.

Californiablonde

Damn iPhone is screwing up. What I was trying to say was that post absolutely crushed my self esteem. I felt like I was being kicked while I was down. For me it was a trigger. And right now triggers for me are dangerous. Her post, along with everything else that went down yesterday, almost triggered me into doing something I haven't done in years. Thankfully my therapist snapped me back down in reality and I kept myself safe. You gotta be extra careful with me, that's all I'm saying. Bluntness and harshness doesn't work for me. Thankfully I'm over it now.

cubsgirl

CB-I feel your pain. In AA there is a saying "Take what you need and leave the rest" and that's how you should approach this board if you are sensitive. Take all the advice that you need and leave everything else behind. You'll feel much better. Remember, we are all in various phases of our journeys with our variety of difficult child's and we are all doing the best we can.

DammitJanet

CB, look, now I am going to be blunt with you bipolar to bipolar.

You come on here and you pour your issue out and we all try to give you advice and most of the time it doesnt seem like you listen to anything we say. You have an excuse or you have tried everything or nothing will work. We all try to come up with something, anything that will help you and after awhile it sounds like maybe you are just filled with so much anxiety that you are catastrophizing everything to the point that you are completely paralyzed and cannot make any decisions.

We have no idea if your ex is as bad as you say he is or not. Every story has two sides. Or as Dr. Phil is fond of saying, there are two sides to every pancake. With most stories there is her side, his side and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

I think DDD has given you some good advice about possible attention issues. It is not uncommon for people with bipolar to also have ADHD comorbid. You could also have issues with executive function problems. But whatever is going on you cant just say that bipolar is an excuse. I cant tell you how many people hurt my feelings in life but I have to deal with it because it isnt because Im bipolar that they hurt my feelings, its because of the fact that I have to learn to keep my emotions in check and see if what someone has said to me might just have a kernel of truth to it. Most often if I have become upset by something, there is a kernel of truth there or it wouldnt have upset me in the first place.

InsaneCdn

Californiablonde

I am in the middle of a huge depression so yes bipolar is a good valid excuse. You don't trigger someone who is in the middle of a depression. Not smart. Even more bluntness is making me even more anxious. I would think someone who has the same disorder as me would understand what it's like. What this person said about me didn't just hurt my feelings. It triggered me into doing something bad, and yet you sit here and trigger me yet again, after I just got through explaining I can't handle it right now. OH, as for the advice, I've taken plenty of advice on here. Plenty I haven't taken because in my opinion it wasn't good advice. So like cubsgirl said, "take what you need and leave the rest." And that is what I am choosing to do. And about the ADHD, so I suddenly developed that disorder in the last two months when I've never had problems with it before? I just got through explaining that I've been at my job seven years and have never had a single complaint ever until the last two months. So I don't buy into the ADHD ****. I have never had problems concentrating. Was a straight A student. So I honestly don't think I am ADD in any way. That's just my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

I feel comfortable saying nobody means any harm to you, we don't know one another in real life and we are straightforward with advice. We sometimes throw everything out there, trying to be helpful in case anything may resonate with the person who's posting. If you're "triggered" by something, then stay away, especially if it keeps on happenenig and you do bad things when triggered. You need to do what's best for you.

Californiablonde

So far it's only been two members who have triggered me. Hopefully they get the hint and stay away for now. I can't deal with harsh words at the moment. Most everybody else has been very supportive and understanding.

DDD

I apologize if my two references to ADD hurt your feelings. That was not my intent. You have written at least twice that you have a problem with short term memory and all three of my ADHDers have had that issue also. Without an ounce of exaggeration easy child/difficult child could not remember anything following his brain surgery. His IQ before his accident was so high that he was recruited by Duke U. when he was thirteen, by the way. Anyway I called in a psychiatrist who prescribed a stimulant and the very next day he was able to take care of his basic needs in a timely fashion and was on his way to recovery. Short term memory loss is still a problem because he opted not to take a pill (a legal pill, anyway) but I know that "sometimes" this issue is overlooked and "sometimes" it can really make a huge difference. I would never suggest a medication as a put down...just not my way. Hugs DDD

Californiablonde

DDD no worries. You weren't the one who offended me. Not at all. It was two other people here. One of em mainly who insinuated I don't deserve custody of my kids. That's what set me off. It was nothing you said. (((hugs)))

H

HaoZi

Stress can cause memory issues, too. Or so I've heard. I've always had memory issues, though. If I don't talk to myself all the way to the stockroom, I forget what I'm going in there for by the time I get there!

InsaneCdn

One of em mainly who insinuated I don't deserve custody of my kids
And I don't think it was meant that way.
But us difficult child adults don't always take in things they way others put them out... and don't put them out there in ways others expect to receive!

And for some people's situations... the approach of "let THEM try and find out the reality..." actually works.
It wouldn't work in mine.

Californiablonde

I think it's my old age that affects my memory. It's been the last couple years that my short termy memory has been an issue for me. But it wasn't me forgetting anything or memory problems that made me screw up at work. It was bad judgement calls on my part. One example, a girl came up to me in between classes telling me she had to leave for a dentist appointment. I get kids all the time who come to my desk claiming they need to leave for something or another without giving me parental consent first. I always tell them to have their parent call me or have them come in the office to sign them out. Some kids just assume they can leave whenever they want to as long as they tell me first. That's not how it works. We need a phone call from the parent and they can leave on their own, or the parent can come in to sign them out in person. I thought that this particular girl was trying to leave with out parental consent. So I told her she could use my phone and call her mom my so I could speak to her. Then I could give her the off campus pass so she could leave. Or I gave her the option to have her mom come in the office and sign her out. The girl said okay she would call her mom and have her come in.

Well I didn't know that a couple of hours earlier her mom already called in and talked to my coworker. The parent specifically asked my coworker if it was okay for the girl to leave without her having to come in and sign her out. My coworker told her that yes, she could leave on her own since she already called in. I had no idea that conversation took place. So the girl ends up calling her mom and telling her I wouldn't let her leave unless she came in to the office personally and signed her out. So the mom came in, signed the papers, and left. A bit later she called and spoke to my coworker and read her the riot act. She yelled at her, stating that she was specifically told she didn't have to come in the office, and now I refused to let her daughter leave without her coming in. My coworker got very upset at me for it. There was the off campus pass in a little box on the counter and I was just supposed to give it to her and let her leave. I didn't bother to check the box. When the girl came up to me and asked if she could leave, she made it sound like her mom never called in. What the girl should have said was "My mom already called earlier and I'm just here to pick up the pass." But she didn't. It was a bad judgement call on my part. I should have checked the box just in case, but I really thought this girl was like so many of my other students who wanted to leave without parental consent. So I got in trouble for it.

It had nothing to do with memory. I just screwed up. And I did another screw up with the same girl a couple weeks later, by not seeing the bag her mom dropped off for her. She came to me stating her mom dropped something off. I looked everywhere and didn't see it so I told the girl her mom must not have come yet. Turns out the bag was there the whole time but it was on a table that we NEVER put student stuff on. I never even thought to check there. So again, my bad. This parent is now going to the principal to complain about me. So don't I feel stupid.

JKF

Stress can cause memory issues, too. Or so I've heard. I've always had memory issues, though. If I don't talk to myself all the way to the stockroom, I forget what I'm going in there for by the time I get there!

Stress definitely causes memory issues. When I'm super stressed I can't remember s**t. I can't tell you how many times I've had to call work from the parking lot to make sure I punched out even though I did it literally 2 minutes before! And that's just one example. When I'm less stressed I can take my time and process things but when I'm stressed - forget about it!

InsaneCdn

Those are not mess-ups. Those are signs of a dysfunctional organization. What ever happened to... communication? and systems, and procedures...

Since when can stuff get put just anywhere?
And if a parent calls in - anyone else who would deal with the student from the front office needs to know.

TALK, doggoneit.

buddy

Those are not mess-ups. Those are signs of a dysfunctional organization. What ever happened to... communication? and systems, and procedures...

Since when can stuff get put just anywhere?
And if a parent calls in - anyone else who would deal with the student from the front office needs to know.

TALK, doggoneit.

omgosh, I thought the exact same thing. These are not huge deals. They are just things that show there needs to be a system that is more consistent if parents drop things off they go X if people call to pick up kids and there are instructions you always check the X book or whatever....

If you get called in rather than be defensive or beating yourself up or being sorry, perhaps suggest that there be systems in place so that there are fewer communication issues.

Californiablonde

She's upset because she was the one to get yelled at by the parent. And now the principal is going to find out. So I'm nervous about it. You're right. There should be better procedures in place. But I still should have looked harder. I guess. At least that's what I'm being told.

DammitJanet

Now I think you are taking on issues that arent your own. This is a situation that belongs on your schools shoulders. In today's world they need to have much a better way of dealing with kids who come and go in a school. It shouldnt be so loose that someone could just make a phone call in. That leaves too much room for error. Same with stuff being brought in for students.

Im taking it you work with older kids because I cant imagine a 5 year old in this situation.

I dont see how you could be held responsible for this.

I didnt say you definitely had ADHD. I said attention issues. There is a difference. It could also be executive function issues. I have both. My executive functioning has become much worse after my meningitis because that actually was a form of damage to my brain. Anxiety can cause huge attention issues.

What kind of school is this? Public schools would never allow anyone to leave based on a phone call? A bad guy can call and pick up your kid???? Seriously! Not only do you have to come in and sign the child out, but you have to show ID-even if they know who you are and you're there every day. Some people have custody issues, imagine HS age kids calling the school and leaving? Something doesn't sound right about this.

DammitJanet

UAN....I know. I fought the school tooth and nail when I turned 18 in the middle of my senior year and told them that as an adult (Ha! yes I know, Im ODD) I was going to sign all my own paperwork now. I was going to do all my own excused absences, sign my own report cards and all that garbage. They didnt like it. We went rounds over it. I told them to treat me as a person who had no parents. Finally they just gave in to me. LOL