See difficult child. See difficult child climb a tree. It is tall. Climb difficult child, climb!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yeah, Terry -- it was NOT dark out at all! He was NOT trying to be discrete about it, either!

I'm starting to wonder if he needs his Depakote levels checked... we were out yesterday for an early dinner and he was clearly becoming very wound up, hyperactive and impulsive. I brought that to his attention and he admitted to feeling out of control. He settled down a little after he ate, but he was still behaving impulsively and something else I've noticed -- he becomes very concerned about how he looks and what he's wearing when he gets like this. He'll primp in the mirror for an hour like he's going someplace special when he's supposed to be getting ready for bed!

We went into Old Navy to check out a sale on men's shorts after dinner last night and difficult child 2 started buzzing around from rack to rack grabbing one thing after another with this expectation that he was going to have it bought for him! Now, if he was truly manic, he would have gotten REALLY angry when I told him to put stuff back, but he didn't. He argued a bit, and I allowed him to negotiate on two items, but the rest he had to put back and he was cooperative and didn't give me any attitude. But the "driven" behavior, the impulsiveness -- combined with the tree stunt, the excessive sleeping... I'm keeping an eye on this.

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds like he might need the levels checked. The primping is a teen boy thing. He is noticing girls, whether he admits it or not. Sometimes boys of about that age will get more impulsive and active if they have had their bodies suddenly react to the increased testosterone. They see or hear something, their body reacts and they do not know what to do. It is one reason a lot of boys that age often have jackets around - so that they can hide these reactions. They feel antsy and all sorts of feelings are running around their system and they just do not know how to handle it.

It took me a while to figure it out with Wiz also. Wiz went to my dad about it. By that age he had cut his father off almost totally. I do not have a clue as to how you would talk to him about that.

There is a BIG difference between peeing on a tree when you are out in the country all alone or with other guys. It can be a fact of life in rural areas. I am just glad our neighbor finally got her husband to stop peeing into the pond. He will be out mowing or whatever and just walk over and let it fly into the pond. NO bushes or trees. We may each have almost an acre, but we can STILL see each other from our homes!! His property has NO trees/bushes to help hide him.

At 13 I would expect a lecture about how it is inappropriate to display yourself while peeing should help. Unless there is a hypersexual element to this. That may be harder to handle.

{{{{{hugs}}}}} When you had a little boy did you ever imagine having to explain this kind of stuff to them??? I sure didn't, LOL.

DammitJanet

This could be a puberty thing. Even the peeing stunt. Think animalistic behavior. See Jane...boy have ability to pee long distance from tree because he well...insert imagination!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Part of it might be puberty... he is just SUCH a different animal than difficult child 1. He cares about his hair, his clothes, accessories, shoes -- all things difficult child 1 could care less about. He is VERY open about his attraction to girls, and thanks to husband (NOT -- for some bizarre male reason he points out cute girls and asks difficult child 2 if he likes them, and difficult child 1 is usually mortified when he hears this) he makes no effort to conceal when he notices them in public (think WHIPLASH). Make no doubt, I am quick to lecture him on the importance of being discrete in ALL things related to women. No one likes to be gawked at. A friendly smile is one thing, but staring is not going to be received very well.

Some days I feel like I am raising a mini-husband, and some aspects of that worry me. Glad that I have influence and can affect a better outcome (hopefully), but concerned about the issues I'm going to have to deal with in him, especially the hypersexual aspects of BiPolar (BP) AND his personality in general.

No, Susie, when I gave birth to him, I never imagined having to grapple with ANY of these issues. I guess we're all a bit naive, huh? :whiteflag:

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh yeah, naive is one word for it!! I think it is mostly because the y chromosome makes them another species completely. Of course my mother has her own opinion, garnered from over six decades of life. She flat out will tell you that testosterone kills brain cells. I think that for the most part she is joking. I think.

You are being a good future boyfriend's mom and mother in law by thinking about these things now and doing what you can to moderate his behavior. MY mother in law would not have dreamed of even thinking about these issues. She didn't want husband to ever marry or have a girlfriend - she has told me that she wanted to be the ONLY woman in his life besides his sister. husband doesn't know this, but it is why she won't even let him visit her, much less let the kids visit her. I simply cannot bring myself to tell him.