Sensitive scalp question

KTMom91

Since Warrior Moms know EVERYTHING, Miss KT wanted me to ask for your wisdom and advice...she recently bought a new kind of shampoo and conditioner that, after about a week, is drying her scalp out to the point where she's scratching hard enough to hurt. She went back to the Fructis that she used before, but her scalp is still itching. Any suggestions on shampoos or something to calm the itching down?

DammitJanet

She can try the tea tree oil stuff but for immediate relief you can buy that stuff that is hydrocortisone lotion in a bottle for heads. I cant remember the name but if you walk down the hair care isle you will see it. It comes in a white box with green letters I think. Its a bottle that kinda looks like eye drops and you just apply it to the scalp...oh...scalpicin...thats the name!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This feels horrible, but it works a charm.

Take 1 cup olive oil, mix in 1 cup oatmeal and 1 egg. Rub into the scalp and hair and do usual showering, etc for about 5 minutes, then rinse out. Follow with baby shampoo and leave-in conditioner.

Oh yeah - oatmeal will help relieve the itching, olive oil will help seal in moisture so the scalp heals, egg will make her hair really shiny...

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
She can take any conditioner that doesn't make her scalp sting, burn or itch and put it on clean, wet hair. Let it sit for ten minutes and rinse. make sure she has it worked into her scalp, NOT just itno the hair. Conditioner is basically a water-soluble moisturizer and will soothe the itchies most likely. the scalpicin might work or might make things worse. I would not use head and shoulders or other dandruff shampoos for a few days up to a few weeks.

Any/all styling should NOT involve blowdryers, hot rollers or other hot items near the scalp. the heat will irritate the scalp. She canwork a product like Farouk Silk Therapy (the clear serum stuff) into her scalp and let it be absorbed. I find it helps greatly a few days after something has irritated my scalp.

If she uses step's mixture, canola oil is also good. If the oatmeal if run through the blender or food processor until it is a fine powder it makes a HUGE difference and it doesn't muck up the pipes. She can use the aveeno bath packets in a pinch. they cost a fortune and are close to the right amt for the formula.

H

HaoZi

Tea tree straight works well for healing, but it's strong smelling as all get out. Another option is to go to the ethnic hair care section and get their tea tree conditioner and scalp care stuff (look for the ones in a tub not a bottle, like a hair mask or deep conditioner). by the way the Luster Pink conditioner is great stuff for once her scalp has healed.

DammitJanet

scalpicin is made for scalp problems so I dont see why it would make it worse. I have had some issues with dry scalp and hair loss and I used it then.