Sensory Integration Disorder checklists

Sheila

There's been several threads referring to Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) of late. Thought I'd post these checklists. Keep in mind that they are not all inclusive and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) would have to be diagnosis by an Occupational Therapist with-special training in Sensory Integration Disorder (SID).

Sensory Integration and fine/gross motor skill checklist:
https://web.archive.org/web/2005031...ologist.com/Advocacy_training/SIchecklist.pdf

Sensory Integration Checklists/Info:
https://web.archive.org/web/2003091...om/handouts/sensory_integration_checklist.htm

http://members.tripod.com/gigli/therapies/symptoms.htm

Sheila

Interesting simulation of how Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) impacts learning.

Try this: Turn on the radio, but don't tune it. Leave it on static and fuzz. Turn it up. Ask someone to turn the lights on and off, at will. Strap yourself into a broken chair that is missing a leg and use a table that is off balance - you know the ones in restaurants that makes us all so mad. Now, put on some scratchy lace in place of a comfy T-shirt, put your pants on backwards and wear shoes one size too small. Pour a bowl of grated parmesan cheese, open a can of sardines and bring the cat box to the table. Now, snack on your least favorite food; the one you NEVER eat because it comes with a gag reflex. With all this in place, pick up a new book and learn something new! How can anyone claim that SI problems don't interfere with education??

Ephchap

Alisha -

I just wanted to mention that tags in shirts and seams in socks can bother those that are not diagnosis'd with SIDS also.

The tape we were given by difficult child's psychiatrist way back when he was only 7 showed a little boy who couldn't get ready for school, because he couldn't find a pair of socks that didn't hurt his toes. We were stunned. That scene had unfolded in our home everyday since we could remember.

Back in my son's hockey playing days - he used to wet the toes on his socks because he said the seams didn't bother him as much in his skates if they were wet (yeah, probably because they numbed his toes! lol).

Every shirt my son ever owned had to have any and all tags removed. As he got older, I bought him countless seam rippers - but he usually just yanked them out anyway. sigh.

Just wanted to mention it because I did see it mentioned on another thread - so that those whose child does exhibit those symptoms but not many others on the checklist will understand that it is sometimes part of other disorders - such as ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), etc.

Deb

Sheila

It's my understanding that Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) is a fairly newly identified disorder. As with-other disorders, individuals can have a few "symptoms" on Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) symptom lists, but not have Sensory Integration Disorder (SID).

I've never read where sensitivity to shirt tags or socks are ADHD symptoms -- it's always been in relation to "sensory" issues. I've read where ADHD and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) symptoms can mimick each other so closely that a child can be misdiagnosed with-ADHD when Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) is actually the problem and vice versa. I've also read where it's not uncommon for the disorders to co-exist.

Sometimes I think ruling out a disorder is just as important as ruling one in.

Occupational Therapist (OT) was very helpful for our son. It didn't cure everything, but I sure don't miss the days when it took 30 minutes to get shoes and socks on because socks had to be just right. Getting a better understanding of Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) helped me to understand his picky eating, need of wearing long-sleeve shirts in 90 degree weather, his love of spinning, swinging, rocking, high pain tolerance, preference for certain textured clothing, tactile defensiveness, etc. I can still rarely get him to wear shorts -- it's still heavy jeans in hot weather. Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) therapy helped a lot -- he's much better than he was.