Seriously? Who Messed up the Weather??

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It has been raining since I woke at 6am. No, raining doesn't cut it, it's been Pouring since 6am. You know, like you lost your mind and decided to walk into an ice cold shower with your clothes on.

Then there are periods when deluge is the only way to put it, rain coming down so hard I can't see past the front porch. (now that's bad my front porch isn't that big) I just now got the girls out to potty for the first time today. Awful. I *thought* we'd finally reached a lull, but as I opened the back door another deluge hit..........and they went anyway. Cuz I was not trying to get poor Betsy back into her crate and once you wake Molly she's gotta GO. (age catches up with us all) I dried them with some papertowels betsy had gotten into last night. That actually works much faster than a normal towel! (and I'm frugal enough I'll set them aside, let them dry and they can use them all day. lol

My patio has about 4 inches of standing water. My patio is made so that there should be no standing water at all. There is a river running down the street. Coming back from drugstores there was flooding everywhere the land was low.

It's Jan 17th for Pete's sake! And I'm almost to the point of wishing it was snow because two steps out the door and I'm soaked. blech Tonight it's going down into the lower 20s, that ought to be interesting if this rain doesn't stop.

Perfect day for ham n beans with corn bread, which is currently on the stove cooking.

T

TeDo

I'll take the rain Hound........ I'll trade ya' for it.........We have single-digit temps with below zero windchills for the next day or two. The rain you're getting was snow here but must have gathered strength because we didn't get THAT much snow.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
It's supposed to start snowing here around 9PM tonight. Yay, on top of all this water. Whee. Yuck.

I wish I was sitting on a tropical island...

T

TeDo

Take me with you Step??.....no difficult child's right??? Please tell me no difficult child's!!!

InsaneCdn

TeDo ... I'll swap with you... thermometer is frozen stuck at -27C... in reality its more like -35C add windchill and its -45C... (-40 = -40 = just plain cold).

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We got some snow last night but all the weatherman keeps talking about today is the torrential rains we are supposed to get. It's in the 30's here. I would rather have snow than sleety slushy icy rain!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
IC... LOL I should call you ICY! I'd just die in that weather. I was born in West Texas. I could use some of that hot weather now!

...Of course, DS3 is there, she's probably digging out right now. They got serious snow this year...

CrazyinVA

Staff member
We've had crazy temperature variations here, crazier than usual. 28 at my house yesterday morning, high of 64 today. We're getting rain/wind too.

InsaneCdn

We'll be out of it by the weekend, they tell us. Which is marvelous. Some years... this can last 3 weeks!
By "out of it", I mean a balmy -25C for lows, and -15C (about 0F) for highs. <grin>

Jody

Omg, it was 60 yesterday in Illinois, now today its cooler but not bad, no sun though. Insane, I don't know how you do that. I would never leave my house. How does your cars start at that temp?

InsaneCdn

Omg, it was 60 yesterday in Illinois, now today its cooler but not bad, no sun though. Insane, I don't know how you do that. I would never leave my house. How does your cars start at that temp?
Cars? Lets see...
1) heated garages
2) block heaters and battery blankets - if you're really desperate, interior pre-heaters, too, but those cost a lot more to run (all on a timer... don't need more than 2-3 hours to get things warm)

And then... you don't drive 8 blocks and park. You have to plan your trip to go to the farthest point and get the car warmed up first, and THEN start making stops.

husband just left for an event at the school... 8 blocks away. He's walking.

OK, how do we WALK in this stuff? You just have to have the right stuff. Layers. Warm parkas. Thermal boots. Windproof multi-layer mittens. Balaclavas (needed especially for snowblowing!).....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
And we just got the sun too step.............

Temp is still 51 degrees. Weird. But it's far better than that rain was! omg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL!

My car doesn't like cold weather either - it actually shivers while warming up. But I park in the garage, which while it isn't heated, is out of the elements...

InsaneCdn

Lets see... its finally "warmed up" today... its now -27C... with windchill, that would be -37C. A whole 10 degrees warmer!
Just three more days - please, let the weather man be right.

DammitJanet

I would never get out of bed. I would be tucked in with a heated mattress pad, flannel sheets over that, electric blanket and then a down comforter. Oh...dont forget the electric socks and a snuggie to wear so that my arms are covered when I sit up and a portion of the blankets are not on my shoulders...lol.

InsaneCdn

No you wouldn't, Janet...
You'd be in a nice warm house with natural gas heat, just as toasty warm as you want to pay for...
I need a sweater in the basement - cooler air goes down, of course, so its cooler there.
But... you really only feel the cold when you have to step outside.
I wouldn't blame you for staying in for the week when its this cold... we minimize our trips out, too.

Mattsmom277

Weather? Heck I'm moving to somewhere with like, no precipitation. Who has a shed in a desert I can move to??

We are getting nailed with snow. Highway closures with drifts mid road as high as cars. My neighbor is a transport driver. He ended up inches from another neighbors front window while trying to back into his own driveway. Some hotels are offerIng $20 rooms to get people off highways.

S/O is at work, road off the main waterfront. I can only image the snow drifts with gusts of wind over 60. We are supposed to get 20cms. The drifts become problematic. His coworkers live next town over and laughed at him for suggesting they head home early. Idiots! I was so angry I told him if their highway is closed have them sleep in the plant because they aren't welcome on our couch when they could have driven much safer by leaving hours ago. He on the other hand has promises to take a taxi although it will depend if they can make it into his road.

Meanwhile my Matt is across the country and it due to be -50 tomorrow. Their car died two days ago in -42 temps. Their bouvier is going postal staying inside. He just texted that it killed their brand new big screen tv and his Xbox. Guess who likely won't make it the 6-7 hour drive to the airport to visit home this weekend? :( its been 8 months since we've seen him. Tonight I'm hating mother nature. I guess I'll send Matt the plane ticket value for car repairs and white knuckle the rest of tonight waiting for S/O to get home.

Or I could spend the money on a ticket to that shed somewhere warm.