Seroquel & Difficulty Urinating?

Alisonlg

Finally heard back from the psychiatrist this morning. HE doesn't think it's the Seroquel either, but I told him I already had M checked out at the ER and was cleared for a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) and it seemed like an awful coincidence that the problem popped up within less than 24 hrs of increasing the dosage of the Seroquel. So, after he grumbled about how in all his years of practice he has NEVER seen/heard of anything like this ever happening and how unusual urinary retention is in an 8 yr old boy, he said to stop the Seroquel for 24 hrs and then resume the 200 mg a day dose he was at and see if that makes a difference.

In the meantime, I did place a call to the pediatrician to try to arrange an appointment with a urologist and also to see if the results from M's urine cultures came back yet from the ER. So, awaiting a call back on that.

Joy! My son...the medical anomaly.

smallworld

Alison, my son isn't 8, but when he was 13, he had urinary retention. Our psychiatrist said it's not common, but it can happen from some medications. I honestly hate when psychiatrists have the attitude, "I've never heard of it so it can't be."

Just keep an open mind that it could be the Strattera or the combo of Strattera and Seroquel. If things don't improve, you may need to make other medication adjustments. And I think it's wise that you're taking M to a urologist. It's important to know what's going on.

Hope he feels better soon.

Michellenurse0

Your primary doctor stands to be corrected. Seroquel can cause urinary retention. Please see the side effects below. Good luck.

What are the possible side effects of Seroquel?
Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat. Stop using quetiapine and call your doctor at once if you have any of these serious side effects:
fever, stiff muscles, confusion, sweating, fast or uneven heartbeats;

jerky muscle movements you cannot control;

sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;

sudden headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;

increased thirst, frequent urination, excessive hunger, or weakness;

thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself;

feeling light-headed, fainting; or

urinating less than usual or not at all.

Continue taking quetiapine and talk to your doctor if you have any of these less serious side effects:

dizziness, drowsiness, or weakness;

dry mouth, runny nose, sore throat;

nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, constipation;

blurred vision, headache, anxiety, agitation;

sleep problems (insomnia);

breast swelling or discharge;

missed menstrual periods; or

weight gain.