Seven year old have outbursts in class (already)

snees

My seven year old boy (diagnosis ADHD combined type and expressive receptive language disorder) is in a regular first grade class this year. He has had problems with behavior for years beginning in special needs preschool. Anyway, this is a new school for him, with a crowded class. I have an IEP and special accommodations including pull outs, breaks, etc. He has been coming home every day in a good mood which honestly surprised me. But I got a call from the school that he is having outbursts, and issues with behavior. We are going to start giving him afternoon medications and see how that works. What surprises me is that he starts with the outbursts first thing in the a.m. which is strange because I give him is medication with breakfast. I talked to him today about it and he is oblivious. I think it is just getting used to routine but I worry. I don't know how much more I can take of this with the school insisting that he be in a regular classroom.

fun fam

I'm sorry. This is something I worry about all the time. Did your son have outbursts in kindergarten? What did the teachers/aides do then? Good luck. This is a hard road to walk!

BusynMember

Trust me. If he keeps having outbursts, he won't remain in mainstream class. At the very least, the other parents will start to complain. The problem is, they may want him in BD or ED and, if it were my kid, I'd refuse to put him there. He has a neurological disorder, which, by the way, could well turn out to be more than just ADHD. He is not emotionally disturbed. If he is oblivious to his own disruptive behavior that makes me think he needs a thorough neuropsychologist evaluation just to cover all bases.

Why did they change his IEP? Do you have a parent advocate?

snees

My son had a six hour neuropsychologist evaluation, ADOS evaluation and therapy. I think he is having issues with the setup. I don't know what BD stands for but I just think he needs to be with a smaller group. I know the advice was to keep him in a regular classroom for modeling. I just don't want him to be isolated. It hurts me to see him be uncomfortable. I really am at a loss of what to do.

InsaneCdn

BD = behaviourally disturbed.
ED = emotionally disturbed.

He is neither... so make sure that whatever else they DO want to do, that he isn't lumped in with BD and/or ED kids.

fun fam

Ok, so I'm not trying to be rude, but what are BD and ED classes for if not for kids who have disorders and being disruptive in the classroom? I'm just curious because I'd always pictured our son going to a BD class if he cannot behave appropriately. My cousin teaches in a ED class, and she says her kids all have diagnoses like aspergers, bipolar, ADHD, etc...but they are not placed in ED because of the diagnosis, but because they are highly disruptive (outbursts, running away, throwing things, screaming, hitting etc) in a regular classroom. Who goes to ED class if not for these kids? I'm truly just wondering! I've been misinformed.

BusynMember

Our son, before his definitive diagnosis, was called Other Health Impaired (OHI).

I like that a lot better.

And I don't like putting a bunch of kids with different disorders, all who act out to deal with it, in one class setting nor would I allow them to do that to my child. My friend has been an aide in that sort of classroom for twenty years. It is in middle school. She doesn't think it helps the kids and often makes them worse with bullying being a huge problem. As to an alternative?

I don't know. But putting them all together seems insane. Staff and other kids can get hurt. Badly.

InsaneCdn

Ok, so I'm not trying to be rude, but what are BD and ED classes for
We had a really GOOD "bip" classroom - behaviour intervention plan.
It was for kids who were extremely disruptive and it couldn't be attributed to a diagnosis.
The "ODD" kids. The "climb-the-wall type of ADHD" kids.
The ones who were simply never taught or never caught on to the basic rules of life... and some of these kids can be turned around, but the assumption is... roughly neurotypical.

The ED class here is for early-onset BiPolar (BP), Schitzo-affective, etc.

Neither works for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)-specific classroom would be fine. But that's not ED or BD.

justour2boys

Momto2Boys
which is strange because I give him is medication with breakfast.

What is the medication he is taking? There is a lot of anecdotal information about medications this group can offer... most of which we parents have learned through trial and error. For me I kept a journal of which medication, when my difficult children received it, with or with out food, type of food and the behavior of that day. And you might be surprised and find a pattern that might help.

For example, what work for my youngest on a stimulant (stimulant) is to give it 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast, not with food. When I gave it to him with food it was almost like he had not even taking his daily dose.

Also you might need to try a different medication, or even several different medications, not all stims are the same. We went through 7 different medications/medication combos until we found the right fit for my difficult children. So it may take some time, and a lot of patience, to find the right medication(s) for your child.

IT1967

How soon after he gets his medication is he in the classroom? My doctors. have told me it takes 30 min. before the medication kicks in. Maybe if you're giving it to him too soon before school, it isn't fully absorbed in his system and not effective that quickly which may explain the behavior issues first thing in the AM in the classroom. Just a thought.

DammitJanet

I have always been told not to give the stims with food and even today my psychiatrist asked me if I took it with food and wanted to remind me not to eat with it or it wont work nearly as well. Im on adderall.