Share your experience for Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified adult kid

usernew

My son, very sweet ,cute good looking was only 3 when he was diagnosed with autism.Around 4 he was diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified.I had tears in my eyes. His speech is improved in all these years from non vocal at age 4 ( hardly speaking any sentence whole day ) to now (age 6 ) using 10-15 sentences a day.But he is still far behind from his peers , he cant speak fluently in 3 or four sentences. He will use max 5 word sentence.And most of the time its similar kind of sentences .I want cookie, I want that , I want this... etc. His sentences have prepositions ( for, of , up , in etc. )missing ..even if he use , most of the time use inappropriately.

My doctor told me if will speak, because he had good joint attention.

I am particulary looking for feedbacks of parents whose kids were diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified in early year.How far those kids have come in speech, academics or sports or socially .

I know this issue affects every kid in different way. No kids cannot be same.
But still any kind of feedback from parents is advisable.

Thank You,
Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified Kid Mom

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Welcome to the board. :)

My son diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified is 26 now. He wasn't diagnosed until later years though because it just wasn't well known when he was young.

He had speech issues early. Speech therapy, as well as my working hard with him at home, did wonders. He had a pretty awesome speech therapist during his first several years of school. If I remember correctly he was done with speech therapy about the 5 th grade or so. He speaks fluently now, you'd never know it had ever been an issue. (when he began he couldn't get his tongue to move much from the roof of his mouth) Although I will say his speech is not always organized........he can jump around a LOT during a conversation sometimes.

I'm not sure what you mean by "joint attention' ?

Travis has far exceeded any prognosis or expectation given by any doctor. But regardless of that, he's still Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) not otherwise specified, that's not going to change. He does well now for the most part. His social skills have improved somewhat, but he will never be a very social person. He still has many sensory issues, and he always will. He graduated high school on the honor roll and made it in to a 4 yr college.....although he only stayed half a year that was an enormous accomplishment. There he did independent living and did well, not perfect, but much better than expected. And he did a few more years of college before his brain injury and vision issues really started becoming a major hurdle. He's even been employed for long periods of time.

Although now we're going through the disability process. Not due to the autism, but due instead to his vision. (as you can see he has other dxes too)

Don't give up on your lil guy. He will probably knock your socks off by the time he's an adult. Seriously. Given the therapies ect available today........who knows where he'll be at 26. :)

Travis today is not much like Travis was at 6, behavior wise that is. Much of that old behavior disappeared as time went on and maturity began to set in. He always lagged far behind his peers, but he got there every time, just at his own pace. He still does.

(((hugs)))

BusynMember

Lucas has Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and did not speak until he was 4 1/2. His speaking skills are now very good and he talks as well as anybody. He has compensated quite a bit and is doing very well, considering where he started out. Having said that, he will need some help as an adult and is in special services.

He is overall a very sweet young adult who has some wonderful skills, but is lagging in social skills and some life skills and can not multi-task well. He is considered a disabled adult. But he is probably my happiest kid!

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hello and welcome. I know what you are looking for. I looked for it myself for a long time. I wanted to see what the future held for my sweet,loved first born. I wanted someone to give me hope, a path to follow and reassurance that everything would be ok. difficult child will be 28 in August. He is doing well. He isn't typical of his peer group but he isn't just existing in mom's spare room, living a marginal life.
There wasn't much out there when we started this journey and my son's symptoms are different. He never had speech issues and tends to be overly gregarious and out going.

The years into puberty were tough. No doubt about it but things have come along slowly. It is a delay. Doesn't mean it won't happen at all. The statistics are pretty ugly for adults on the spectrum but I'm hopeful your generation of children, parents and professionals will change those statistics.

I tried to keep difficult child on the same level socially as his peer group but always watched for difficult child's comfort level. I held him accountable. I was clear and told him the truth. You will understand that more when he is hitting adolescence and hygiene doesn't seem too important.
The biggest discovery for me was learning to ask myself "what does my son need?" not what I need or school needs or in laws need or health care professionals may need. Be his advocate but make him accountable. Give him constant lessons on right from wrong and appropriate behavior. Ask him what he thinks about the choices he has and always make sure everyone treats him with dignity. He is not a trained pet or stupid. Don't let anyone treat him that way. Encourage him to stand up for himself and to always be respectful in return. I hope at the end of the day you remind yourself that you love him and you want him to be happy with his life whatever that turns out to be.

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The biggest discovery for me was learning to ask myself "what does my son need?" not what I need or school needs or in laws need or health care professionals. Be his advocate but make him accountable. Give him constant lessons on right from wrong and appropriate behavior. Ask him what he thinks about the choices he has and always make sure everyone treats him with dignity. He is not a trained pet or stupid. Don't let anyone treat him that way. Encourage him to stand up for himself and to always be respectful in return. I hope at the end of the day you remind yourself that you love him and you want him to be happy with his life whatever that turns out to be.

AMEN Fran!!! You said it perfectly!!!

JJJ

Hound dog:538576 said:
The biggest discovery for me was learning to ask myself "what does my son need?" not what I need or school needs or in laws need or health care professionals. Be his advocate but make him accountable. Give him constant lessons on right from wrong and appropriate behavior. Ask him what he thinks about the choices he has and always make sure everyone treats him with dignity. He is not a trained pet or stupid. Don't let anyone treat him that way. Encourage him to stand up for himself and to always be respectful in return. I hope at the end of the day you remind yourself that you love him and you want him to be happy with his life whatever that turns out to be.

AMEN Fran!!! You said it perfectly!!!

Completely agree!!!!

While my boys are still teens, last summer I had the great privilege of seeing a 22 year old man who I taught when he was 6-7 in my classroom for kids with severe and profound autism. At 6-7 he had limited speech and I remember the hours and hours we put in trying to increase his expressive language. He talked non-stop when I saw him! He still needs special support but he is happy, does special olympics and has friends.

We have several group homes in our area. The men there have good lives. Mostly they wish for more employment opportunities but they are happy.

Life can be okay even if it stays different than your first dream.