Shari's "Mary Mary" thread -- my response

Status
Not open for further replies.

DammitJanet

Oh Shari...you didnt say Dreamcatcher ear rings! Now you know we do those here! We are all about that here. Those are indian.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Esther, I had no idea what that thread was all about either ~ sometimes I'm just clueless.

Thanks for the info, ladies.

KTMom91

I want to add my apology to those who felt left out. That was never my intention. I did PM several people who asked with the backstory, like Star, if you ask, I'll tell you.

Estherfromjerusalem

Well, Star, thank you for that detailed explanation. And for making me feel belonging again. I suppose last night I was just in a bad mood, otherwise I wouldn't have written what I did. You all know me well enough by now (after all these years) to know that I'm not usually like that.

In future, I'll PM someone for explanations if there's something I don't understand.

And yes, Marg is right, there are definitely culture differences, and since I am British (and actually I haven't lived there for 36 years) obviously I am not familiar with the US scene.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one who was out of her depth.

Love, Esther

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Shari, the problem is that I do know how to do a four-strand flat braid, but I can't explain it. There are some very good books on leather work and braiding that have picture instructions for the various braids.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Tried the book route...so far have not figured it out.

And actually, I'm not sure if what I'm looking for is considered flat...its almost square. I dunno.

I'll probably be 72 before I finally get around to getting that hair braided. If I remember to keep moving it from glove box to glove box, because I doubt this truck will still be running by then...

Marguerite

The song - we don't know it here. Back in the 60s, our pop charts were very different to yours. We had a lot of overlap with the British charts (lots of Beatles, Herman's Hermits, "Mrs Brown You've Got a Loovely Daughter", etc) and a lot of Aussie hits. We got the occasional US hit, but it had to be a hit on OUR charts or the British charts, for it to get much air time here. I had older sisters in the teen bracket and so our radio was always on the top of the pops. I remember when we all had chickenpox together, we had three weeks of the radio in our room, all of us singing along. And then with the mumps... I knew those songs intimately. Still do.

Braiding with multiple strands - practice with string. The principle is simple. You take the one from the outside and move it to the middle (or one further over from the middle, if you have an even number). So if you number a four string braid as 1, 2, 3, 4 then you take string 1 and move it to position 3. Take string 4 and move it to position 2. Continue.

With multiple braids you can try moving two at a time or more (depending on how many strings you are doing). Practice with string until you get the look you want.

Marg

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Another thing that helps is to divide the hair into the sections you want to use and tie off one end. Using tacks or t-pins, attach each seperate section to a board. You are then really weaving the hair.

Once you finish the braid you can then tie off the ends however it suits you. I think for a square 'lanyard' style braid you need to use at least six strands, but it has been so long since I've done any braidwork that I'm not really sure.

I do remember tail hair from my little gray Arab mare being in high demand because it was silvery white and looked gorgeous with black and sorrel tail hair.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I was actually able to "get" one of the braids Star linked...with string. Maybe I will get this done!

Mine's just black, tho, but I'm now riding her son, and he's a black and white paint, so maybe I'll mix it up a bit. We'll see. Gotta master the braid, first!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Actually I've always had a lot of success with having the chamber made using the house phone and calling down to the stable then asking my personal groom to do it. Of course it depended on the day of the week and the color of my riding habit as to what color ribbons were incorporated into the braid, but that was usually taken care of well in advance by my wardrobe mistress.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Actually I've always had a lot of success with having the chamber made using the house phone and calling down to the stable then asking my personal groom to do it. Of course it depended on the day of the week and the color of my riding habit as to what color ribbons were incorporated into the braid, but that was usually taken care of well in advance by my wardrobe mistress.

That would work.

Then again, there'd not be much sense in having myself call myself and tell myself to do this, now would there????

Star*

call 911........call 911
I dunno - can you braid? It all sort of hinges on that. I mean almost anyone can answer a phone and match a ribbon to riding silks. :tongue:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Actually, I showed Saddlebreds and Walking Horses as a kid, and you do use ribbons in a few braids on them.

I also know how to do the mane and tail braids they use on hunters and showjumpers.

Of course, I WAS the "groom". That's how I paid for riding lessons and the like. I was a working student.

Star*

call 911........call 911
We go to TW shows whenever we can and support our friends that own/show. I used to board my horse in the pasture next to Colonel Herman's WORLD FAMOUS Lipizzaner Stallions and got to watch them train all the time. Absolutely incredible athletes.

Probably my most favorites if I had to pick would be Clydesdales, then the Gypsys, then oh well anything with feathery fetlocks. sigh....someday and yes my most favorite commercial in the world? The donkey that wears the little covers on his shins and pretends to be a Clydesdale. (mwah)

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
This thread has gone so far off topic that I'm not sure why it's still here. Maybe a new thread should be started and this one locked?

I think Esther's message is important and should be respected and preserved without these other tangents.

Suz

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's fine.

I've got enough koi going on. I don't need the weight of inadvertantly ticking anyone else off added to the drama-fest.

Marguerite

One last word on Esther's original message - sometimes we are not aware of the cultural differences between us. Perhaps Esther & I are a little more aware, because we strike it more often (we are the different ones to a larger extent).

The example - the "Name Game" song here, is one that was outside my realm of experience. Since I found out a bit more about it, I've been running through other things I've read or seen over the years and I'm finally realising things I didn't 'get" were probably a reference to this song. If you didn't actually live through the time when this happened, then your life has taken a slightly different path. it's easy to forget this or not realise this, when everyone else around you understands where you are coming from.

On this site we all have so much in common, especially with our kids, that it's easy to not realise that in a lot of areas, we may not have the same meeting of minds.

Yes, we've digressed. In digressing, we've strayed back into territory where our understanding is much more mutual. We see horses with plaited manes here too, I even have horse brasses hanging in the house. Like Star, I love the large Clydesdales and similar breeds (so does husband). So there - we're on the same wavelength.

I do find cultural differences fascinating, and they can also be very unexpected. I often use Aussie slang and have learnt that sometimes I need to explain myself, which surprises me because where I live, everyone understands me.

In Australia, we've had a history of people coming here and not always understanding us, so perhaps we're a bit more used to having to translate. An Aussie author wrote a wonderful, funny book about this in the early 60s - it was called "They're a Weird Mob". In the book, an Italian journalist with perfect English moves to Australia, and rapidly discovers that although he speaks English, he can't understand what people are saying. Because the book was written 50 years ago, the language has once more shifted. It has, in fact, shifted much more to the US model. So much so, that our younger people especially, consider themselves to be fluent in US culture and language. Completely.

They are wrong. Perhaps they are more fluent, but there will always be cultural differences.

That is not necessarily a bad ting - I revel in the uniqueness of various parts of the world. I want one day to go to Paris and see the Eiffel Tower; to go to New York and look at the Statue of Liberty (same designer, but we won't go there!); to check out Disneyland, to go see the Grand Canyon, to visit so many places. I've been to Athens and walked around the Acropolis. I've walked deep underground in the labyrinth of the palace of Knossos on Crete.
If we lose our uniqueness in order to have no cultural barriers, it will be a tragedy.

But the flipside of this is - we need to always be aware that there ARE cultural differences, and to help one another through them.

Thanks, everybody, for an ultimately entertaining and informative thread.

Marg

Status
Not open for further replies.