She called to tell me where all her alcohol stash was.

Nancy

Most of it I had found but there were a couple places I didn't know. She hid one of those little bottles of vodka behind the attic door in the ceiling. Also a bottle of wine in the basement. She obviously had been drinking more and longer than we knew. And I thought I was so on top of things, even locking all our alcohol up or throwing it away.

She said she wants us to make special plans to celebrate her 21st birthday so she won't think about drinking. She said she is working on step 4 in AA, personal inventory and she will be calling me to help remind her since she blocked most of it out.

Today was a good day and today is all I have so I am thankful.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Well, that sounds so good Nancy. Lets think about a good 21st...hmmm. Family trip to Disney? NYC? Hey...maybe she would like to meet her mini twin? LOL. Keyana is born on her birthday. We could take them to Busch Gardens!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Wow
I so hope that this epiphany becomes her reality for life.
I am so happy for you and hope that her 21st truly is a sober one and the start of many more.

susiestar

Roll With It
Very good signs, Nancy!!! Don't beat yourself up over the hiding places or anything else she tells you about. It is NOT your fault.

DDD

Do they have a step down program? It sounds like the dawn is beginning to light which is awesome. on the other hand she has such a long history of erratic behavior that rejoining "normal" society might be something to delay if possible. The program she is in sounds terrific. Perhaps they can evaluate when it would be best for her to be surrounded by peers in a less structured environment. I'm rooting for you all. How terrific is would be if your difficult child finds success.
Hugs and prayers continue. DDD

DammitJanet

Like DDD said, this sounds promising. Do you have sober houses available for after care? Maybe that would be the ideal solution for her when she gets out. From what I know about them from the TV shows, which I know is not perfect, they sound very good. Didnt Karens son go into one too?

Nancy

DDD she just moved into the step down house today. She gets a few more privilegs, they get to go on outings and to outside AA meetings. She also gets her cell phone back (yikes I'm not ready for that and will be talking to her counselor Sunday before I am ready to do that). Instead of all the educational lectures she now goes to meditation, art therapy, recovery group on how to prevent relapse, yoga, and some other things I don't know about yet. She still has group and individual therapy. While there she has to find her home AA group and start making contacts to find a sponsor.

I am very impressed with this program. They know recovery. Most of the people who work there are in recovery themselves and this is serious to them. After the wing she gets moved to a halfway house with a housemother. She talked to the housemother yesterday to apologize for stealing the bracelets. The housemother is the one who made them. She asked of she could help her make some to repay for those she stole. The housemother was very supportive and told her she was very proud that she confessed and would be happy for her help.

Her one last girlfriend from home, Michelle, is visiting her tomorrow and bringing her boyfriend and his mother who is a recovered alcoholic and drug addict. They all live a substance free life and want Jessica to know it's possible. She has offered to be difficult child's co-sponsor but since she lives about an hour away she needs one closer too.

We go back Sunday for another family program day. I'm hopeful about what I am hearing from her. We've had some real honest talks and she sounds more clear headed than I have ever heard. Yet I know the chance of relapse is always out there.

Nancy

svengandhi

It is good to hear that she is finally taking advantage of the opportunity you've given her. I hope she stays on the path of recovery and sobriety.

Ephchap

Nancy,

What a great update, and for the first time in a long time, you sound hopeful - cautiously hopeful, which is the right way to be - but hopeful. I can still remember when my difficult child came home for the first time from his Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and walked around the house with us to give us his stashes. Like you, we had thought we were on top of things, but addicts can hide things with the best of em. He had even put a small baggie of marijuana in the tieback of the bathroom curtain ! How in the world would I have found that, until I took the curtains down to wash. Sheesh.

I'm sending good thoughts that today was another good visiting day - and that you can all begin to heal. It will take time, but it's a start.

Sending mega hugs your way,
Deb