She did good times two!

tiredmommy

Duckie is turning into a really *nice* kid.

There's a child in her class that has multiple physical disabilities and possibly has learning issues and is somewhat naive. She's a sweet girl. Another classmate started teasing her and tricking her into "looking stupid" (Duckie's words) so Duckie immediately told the teacher who put a stop to the other student's inappropriate behavior. That was yesterday.

Then today, she was playing a card game in another classroom with three other students including the little girl from down the street. She's a rather bossy and manipulative child when dealing with other kids (bad case of onlychilditis) and she was really laying into one of the other kids. Duckie told her to stop and leave the other student alone in a voice loud enough for the teacher to hear. She received praise from both this teacher and her home base teacher for sticking up for another child.

I'm so happy that my ODD child is really starting to come into her own. The irony of this all is that the child she stood up for is one of the kids she was particularly mean and nasty to in Pre-K. This child joined the same school program last fall and Duckie has tried hard to make things right between them. The other child has remained cold toward Duckie and Duckie admitted to me that she may have to accept that she might never be forgiven. That's a tough lesson for an eight year old. But she's determined to be a good friend to this child nonetheless.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I've been bitten by a duck - (no really)

IT HURTS - they quickly get right to it. lol

BRAVO DUCKIE!!!!!\

I've been bitten by a goose too - really painful

Now I have to think about all the stuff that's bitten me.

But I'm still proud of our MIGHTY DUCK!

jbrain

Wow, Duckie is more mature than many adults! I am so proud of her--what a great kid and what a lot of insight she has!
Jane

donna723

That's great, TM! You should be very proud of her. :redface:

She has learned to really have compassion for others and to care enough about the their feelings that she is willing to speak up and put a stop to it if she sees them being treated badly! Many kids twice her age (and even some adults) aren't willing to do that! Way to go, Duckie! And "Way to go!" Mom, too!

aeroeng

Mom of Three
Wonderful! Thanks for posting we all need to see some light sometimes.

Star - I once tried to eat my lunch out side. Several geese came and demanded my sandwich. (I don't mean begged, I mean demanded). I was held hostage on the picnic table, surrounded by aggressive geese.

TerryJ2

Ohhh, that is so cool! She really sounds sweet. I am so proud of her, especially given the circumstances of that girl she was mean to. Duckie is wiser than some adults I know. Bravo!

tiredmommy

Thanks everyone. We've really been talking about the difference between tattling and standing up for yourself or getting help from an adult. I think it's been easier for her to put our discussions into action when it's another child (particularly these two) that needs sticking up for because she relates in some sense to them. Duckie has been sickly most of her life and has faced some slight limitations so I think she feels protective toward the girl with disabilities. She will not tolerate her being teased. She also already senses that this girl is quite a bit different socially than the other kids at this age and that it's unfair to take advantage of her.

The other girl has gotten a reputation as being pretty rough around the edges and has been known to get physical with other kids if teased. Duckie sees and understands her part in this from their younger years and hopes this girl will stop hitting or pushing kids if she sees that her tormentor has stopped. The other girl isn't exactly a bully but she does escalate to being physical quickly.