she did not call you???

Ktllc

A few months ago, V got a school evaluation. They seemed all sweet and eager to help, but despite our concerns we were told that nothing could be done at that point. I explained I really wanted V in the preschool within the elementary for various reasons. The main 2 were: he has a hard time transitioning and it will help when he goes to Kindergarten. He would have been used to the teachers, the buildings, etc. The second: the teachers are more qualified to understand his issues and help him learn despite those issues.
The Special Education director understaood all those very valid concerns, but nothing she could do: no preschool class in the elementary school this year!
Well, after talking to my big boy's kindergarten teacher yesterday, I ended asking her some question about what to do for V next year. She was so shoked that the Special Education teacher never contacted us: there is a class this year and there are only 5 kids for 2 teachers!! There are still spots available.
She also explained that kindergarten is not mandatory in our state which might allow for greater flexibility (a lot more than what the Special Education will admit). For exemple, should V need it, a half day kindergarten might be possible (it has been done before and it does not affect the learning that much since the core of the program happens in the morning).
I went on to tell her that right now, V is on a shorter day because he cannot handle a whole day. There are some half day preschoolers in this little class!!! My oldest son's teacher was so shoked that I did not have all those info. She recommended setting up a meeting with the principal. She said she would be my best source of uncensored info. She also added that, of course, we were not having that conversation. lol I understand she does not want to get in trouble. But that is so pathetic when telling the truth can put someone in trouble!!
She wanted to give me additional tips until I said that V already had an Occupational Therapist (OT) and a behavioral therapist. And that the Occupational Therapist (OT) also said that V needed a lot more than what the school could offer/afford. She does not understand why V does not qualify for an IEP since he needs all that help.
This teacher is fantastic, I hope she can teach V next year if that's the route we go. She is no nonsense and will say/do what it takes to get the job done. She leaves the stupid administration outside her class.
She really thought that a kid like V should be in this preschool class: the teacher has her preschool, kindergartebn credential as well as Special Education credentials. She does not believe Head Start is equipped for V (which I agree). The teachers are sweet this year but do not understand sensory processing disorder (SPD) and its implication.
I can't believe the Special Education director as snowed us so good! She was censoring us from very precious information and we never realised it. I even had husband come with me to the meetings just to be stronger and not miss anything. GRRR!
Now, I will try my best to transfer him to this little preschool class. I'm hoping he does not need an IEP for that. Otherwise, it might mean getting ready for a fight with admin....
I like the principal, she seems to be very good. But can I trust my feelings on people anymore??

buddy

Oh wow, I am so glad you found out now not in spring. I have been feeling the same, my trust level just goes down so much that I wonder whether people are just being phoney. I never want to be like that but lately it just happens. I hope the principal will back you up and get V into school pronto.

DammitJanet

In NC, we have what is known as More at Four. Every county in the state has those classes. Now I dont know if every school has that specific class but I would be mighty shocked if it didnt considering it is state mandated. But if your local school doesnt have one and your child meets the criteria for more at four then you should be able to get into a neighboring school. You might have to take them..dont know about that part. Now...I do think there is an even more specific part to More at Four for kids who have even greater needs that is a Title IV program. I think that is the Title number so dont quote me. If you go onto your school districts website you can get the true info. All kids in the More at Four program are considered to be on a IEP because to get into More at Four the kids are considered at risk of not being up to par for entering kindergarten so they should be in a public preschool. Whatever.

Ktllc

Yes Dammit, you are right. Although it is title 1 ;)
V is actually more at four but within Head Start. It really is just some paper work smoke because he is with the same class head star and more at 4 all together!
They also have a more at 4 class in the elementary school which also happens to be title 1. V does meet the criteria, that's why it's crazy that they don't even respect my wish! The class is not even full and the teacher that much more qualified.
Honestly, I don't understand why that Special Education director does not want to work with me. It does not cost her a dime, or does it?
Hopefully, I'll have more info on Monday and can get a meeting with the school principal pretty quick.

buddy

they get money per pupil so???? (I know it is not enough but still better than none)...Special Education students get more for the district. (again not enough to cover costs I know). but it wont affect her salary for petes sake. I think she just is probably a bureaucrat. Not seeing an individuals need. Just my guess. Sincere to your face, then drops the ball when out of sight/mind.

DammitJanet

My granddaughter went to head start at 3 and then to more at 4 and this year is her Kindergarten year but she moved to another state. Last year she was in more at 4. I know most, if not all, of the schools in my county have more at 4 but we are a very rural and poor county.