She got jumped in the bronx!!!

Sara PA

Ask for a EEG, one of the longer versions. There is the possibility that she has a seizure disorder. None of the drugs she has taken would address that and might even make it worse.

"Surprisingly, she likes the Lexapro, she says it puts her in a good mood."

I would suggest that means Lexapro kicked her into hypomania which has progressed to mania. Hypomania is the ultimate "good mood". Mania is over the top and out of control. It's considered an adverse reaction to the drug. Trazadone is an antidepressant too.

by the way, Strattera is an SNRI antidepressant and has more in common with Lexapro than with the stimulants like Concerta, Ritalin and Adderall.

susiestar

Roll With It
Hey Bran,

I am sorry she is so willing to fight. It is good you checked up on her story. I am just floored that an ambulance could let a minor go with-o checking her, even if she insisted. But she may not LOOK like a minor, and would problem lie if they asked her age, from the sounds of it. Geez, this is scary for you.

This is a really good, supportive community. And we really care about each other, even about our newer members. We are glad you are here with us.

I don't think an MRI will show what you need to check. MRI does not show seizure activity. Sara is right that you need an EEG, preferably a longer one. Maybe even one where you or someone else makes her mad so they can SEE what her brain does when she is so upset. Just be SURE there are people right outside the door on the way to keep you safe. I doubt they will agree to let you make her mad during testing, but you can always ASK. I think.

The "blacking out" could also be times of dissociative behavior. I really have NO experience in this, and think it is the least likely occurrence for this situation, but I did wonder about it.

I hope she stays argumentative in the hospital and they keep her until a residential bed opens up.

Hugs,

Susie

Marguerite

Bran, I'm glad you checked her story out. It was a good thing too because it gave you added information.

And even if she had been lying - you did the right thing getting her admitted.

Is there any chance they would do the scans while she is in hospital? If Sara's right, and they find something, it could help in maybe changing her treatment in a more positive direction.

Marg

Steely

I third the brains scan ideas. Just the phrase "black out" should cause the doctors to look into seizure activity. A MRI will show any brain structure abnormality, while a EEG will show brain wave abnormality. The "long" type of EEG is called a sleep deprived EEG where she has to stay awake for 24 hours, and then have the EEG. Some hospitals are also using PET scans, which show some promise in identifying some mental illnesses. I would advocate for all of these for your daughter. She just came one millimeter from getting killed, or killing someone - if they Docs don't take you seriously now - I don't know what it will take.

Again, so many hugs. I really believe that your daughter, will get the right help, will find the right medications, and will find the right groove for success. Somehow, someway.

smallworld

Actually, "long" EEGs can be 48 to 72 hours of monitoring, usually with a portable monitor. My daughter had one because her sleep-deprived EEG came back normal, and the neuro wanted to see if something had been missed. (I know no EEG is definitive, but it's more likely you'll pick up seizure activity with a longer EEG than with an hour-long sleep-deprived EEG.)

B

bran155

Thanks for the info. I wrote it down and will be calling tomorrow to request these tests. Any suggestions on what exactly to say to insure that I get them done. Is there any key phrases or words I should be using that would be considered a red flag, shoot even if I have to lie I will. I dont think my daughter actually blacks out, I have asked her that before and she said no. "Blacking" is sort of slang for getting really mad. That being said I'm still gonna go with the "blacking out" as that might get her the tests she needs!!!

Thanks again. I will keep you posted. :)

Steely

Smallworld, fascinating info. I have never heard that, and have wondered since difficult child was little if he was having abnormal brain activity.......but since his sleep deprived EEG came back normal I assumed that his brain waves were fine. Thanks.

Bran, I think the key words for most hospitals and docs are
"She is an imminent danger to herself and others". You have to play up the morbid aspect a bit, which is unfortunate, and let them know she could really harm or kill herself or others. I would also use the phrase "black out", because you just really never know. The most important aspect of this is actually your tenacity...........just keep pounding on those doors until you get what you want.

Sara PA

EEGs can rule in seizures but they really can't rule them out. I would have been told my EEG was that ubiquitous "fine" except that there were witnesses to my seizures. It wasn't until I was on Dilantin and some other problems stopped that anyone was aware that I had been having partial seizures for years.

My son's sleeping EEG was "fine", too. He has a number of different types of partial seizures and at least one convulsion while he was sleeping. We know about that one because I happened to walk in his bedroom to kiss him goodnight while he was having it.

My friend, whose aura is paranoia, has had seizures for decades. He's a priest who lived communally so many people have witnessed the seizures. He never had a positive EEG either.

And keep in mind that people who have periods of no memory like blackouts or who have only partial memory of some events my not be so willing to admit it. It wouldn't be unusual for someone to admit it and then deny it or offer some cover-up explanation. That use to happen to my brother -- seems a partial seizure disorder runs in our family -- and he later told me he made up stories to cover time he was missing because he thought that better than letting people know he had no memory of things. My son has only vague memories -- including inaccurate perceptions and misjudging time -- of what happens during his partial seizures.

KTMom91

Wow...glad you got her in the hospital. Sending many hugs. Please take care of you while you're busy taking care of her.

B

butterflydreams

Oh Bran!! You did the right thing. You are a true Warrior Mom! I am sending you big hugs!! You know now your daughter will be safe. Keep fighting. Now you need to take some time for yourself and make sure you are alright, even just a bubble bath.

Christy