She just can't let it be...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Just noticed Wee has in school suspension tomorrow.

Great.

Lets fix the problem of him feeling like an outcast by making him a bigger outcast.

Yay!

svengandhi

My Aspie son loved in school suspension so much that we had to stop using it as a punishment because he was deliberately misbehaving to go there. The other kids didn't know, they just assumed he was absent. He loved it because it was quiet, he could do his work and no kids bothered him. Wee may not have the same feelings about it but to my son, ISS was a relief.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee despeartely wants to be with and like the other kids.

If they couldn't handle not letting him go to recess with his peers without calling the cops, they really think they can handle keeping him from EVERYTHING ALL DAY?????

Farmwife

*sigh*

It just gets better and better doesn't it?

by the way, I have never heard of ISS at an elementary school before. Even easy child kids have too short of an attention span to gain anything from a full day of punishment. An hour maybe, but all day...seriously? What modern pop psychology model are these folks using anyway? Why don't we just bring back the paddle and dunce cap while they're at it.

*sheesh*

Just makes me crazy that they punish wee for their ineptitude.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Maybe things will look different in the morning, but this may be the straw that broke the camel's back.

He is supposed to have aids to help him. They are supposed to be able to recognize when he is getting frustrated, and help him self-regulate. Help him navigate social situations. Help him de-escalate.

So far, best I can tell, they've just made the situations worse.

They did not lay a hand on him ONE TIME last year. In 5 weeks of school, they have restrained him 3 times. Called the cops to help. Where were the aids? What were they doing???? If the aids had been doing what they are supposed to be doing, they wouldn't have been yanking him out of recess to begin with...

They couldn't handle him when they tried to keep him out of recess on Friday. They really think they can keep him out of EVERYTHING tomorrow? They think they can handle that????? Really? What changed, all of a sudden???

Oh, and what punishment did the aid get that a) didn't get involved enough to stop him from throwing rocks at kids he perceived to be teasing him b) didn't let anyone know it happened, and c) allowed that scenario to happen THREE TIMES?? Wee's being punished? What about the adults that were supposed to be there keeping that exact thing from happening???

Super told me he would not be suspended because its too long over the weekend...he won't get it. She said he was 2-3 years old and that's how you had to handle him. I said exactly. At best, he's 5. And I find out he's suspended.

I am angry enough right now...if it was not too late to call these people...I would be on the phone. I almost did, anyway. What do they really expect tomorrow to bring by doing this???? I mean, really?

I am to the point, that either this **** stops RIGHT NOW, or they are done dealing with me. They can deal with people on my behalf, but I will be done. Bad timing, I know, but this is a crock. This is a power struggle between a 30 something woman and an impaired 8 year old, and that's bull.....

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
This is supposed to be a positive behavioral supports school. PBS. Look it up, if you're interested.

susiestar

Roll With It
Shari, call the school's attorney. Then get one of your own. This has gone beyond BS to insane. You and Wee need legal support ASAP - esp with this principal calling the police and NOT telling them Wee is the sp ed student they had been consulted about. She wants to make the behaviors that are a result of Wee's disabilities into criminal behaviors and this could stay with him for a LONG time, because he will actually have a criminal record. Not to mention how many of Wee's rights the woman is trampling.

Get a lawyer to protect both you and Wee. Principal's next step is to file charges against YOU for harrassing her for the way she is treating Wee. I am NOT joking. I see this in the near future, esp with her complaints to Superintendent and the way the Super shouted at you.

B

Bunny

It does not sound at all like they have Wee's best interests in mind. They need to get someone in who can sit down and work with him. I agree with you questioning where the aide was when he was having problems on the playground. Are they going to say that the aide can't handle Wee's problems? Then obviously they need another aide who can deal with him the way he needs to be dealt with. It sounds to me like they are doing him more harm than good.

I think that the idea to call an attorney is a good one. Not only do you need to protect youself and Wee, but you need someone who can tell you what your legal rights are in what you can demand of the school district for your son. It sounds like the have no interest in actually helping him to grow and learn. They just want to punish him because he is different from the other kids.

Pam

slsh

member since 1999
Shari - if you can, I'd keep him home today. You know ISS is only going to trigger him, and if that doesn't do it, staff will.

I'm just so sorry.

JJJ

I hope you were able to keep him home today. I agree with the others, a lawyer and an immediate lawsuit against the school for federal civil rights violations and lack of FAPE.

This is BEYOND ridiculous.