She was raped!

recovering doormat

Lapsed CDer
don't know the answer to your question about having your daughter declared a danger to herself, but it's definitely worth checking out. I mean, you can certainly make the case that she is a danger to herself, given that she has been sexually assaulted, is on drugs and an active prostitute. Can someone help you set up an intervention?

I can't imagine the inner turmoil you are in. Please take good care of yourself right now, you need the support more than ever for yourself and your younger child.

Bless you all. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

rejectedmom

Bran, I think not knowing where she is, how she is, etc is worse than anything a parent ever has to deal with. I know because I lived in your shoes. My difficult child was on the streets doing drugs and getting inti trouble for months.

How do you shake it? For me it was the Serenity Prayer. I would go over it in my mind whenever the situation overtook my mind and paralyzed me with fear. I would ask myself "Is it in my power to change it?" I would think long and hard and when I realized that I had no control, I would just say a prayer that God take care of my difficult child. I focused on the belief that a higher power is always working for the ultimate good even when that objective was not clear to me. It was all I could do. After a while I relized that it was enough.

Unfortunately it is your daughter's journey. You can only do what the legal system will allow as far as incompentancy and/or point the way for her. It is up to her to take the path. I know it sounds trite upon first hearing it but it truly is not. When we can accept the fact that we cannot change things, we then can find a certain peace within the chaos.

Do all you can do and then put the rest in your daugher's and her higher power's hands. Then make a conscious effort to continue to live your own life. (((HUGS))) -RM

Last edited:

Jena

Oh wow, i haven't been in that much as you know i just can't seem to keep up with my new life as of late.

I am so deeply sorry for what you are having to go through right now and face and what's happened to her as well.

All I can say to you is you are in my prayers as always and i'm thinking of you. You are a strong strong resilient woman but make sure to take care of you now seriously meditation if huge for me, not sure if it would help you. The breathing techniques help me each and everyday face off my anxiety. Utube has some great beginner videos you can watch.

((((Hugs))))))

susiestar

Roll With It
Bran,

I am so sorry things are so hard. I hope your family would only be supportive of you, but I don't know them.

The first thing you can do to get through this is to go see a doctor. You can't afford to wait another week to see a doctor. you MUST get into a doctor on Monday or Tuesday. Your body is going to fall apart if you don't. Go to the doctor, and then if you need to make payment arrangements, do so. Be sure when you ask for medications you let the doctor know $$ is tight. But it will be MUCH more expensive to have a stroke or heart attack or other problem from all of the stress. Waiting to see the doctor at the friday clinic is definitely a false economy.

I have to say that while I wish it would work to have difficult child forcibly removed from the streets by the friend and her mother, or by the police, I strongly doubt it will. You had many signs that she was doing this while she was still underage. You had custody of her then and couldn't make a dent in her behavior. What would make you think you could stop her now? (I do NOT mean to be rude, mean or flip, I truly am interested in what you are thinking.)

If you CAN force her off the streets and into treatment or jail, what will stop her from returning to the life seh is living now as soon as she is out? You will probably get her off the streets and drugs for life faster by waiting until she is ready. Let her know you will help her whenever she is ready to leave that life for a clean and sober one, that you love her and want to help. But make her understand you can't help her until she is ready to go into treatment and work the program.

Then when she tires of her life seh will turn to you. If you force her off the streets she may NOT later turn to you when it is HER idea to get off drugs and out of the prostitution life.

Use the time until she is ready to take care of yourself and the rest of the family. Go to NA meetings, find groups for parents of kids in gangs or kids who have turned to prostitution. Work with a therapist. Exercise and pray regularly. Work with a doctor to cope with the stress and grief.

Whatever you do, I will support you 100%.

B

bran155

Hi all. Again, thank you just doesn't seem like enough. What else can I say to show my heartfelt appreciation for all of you??? I can't put it into words!!!

The party was actually a lot of fun. I had a great time. My family is used to seeing me a mess, hair in a bun, in sweatpants, dark circles under my eyes, 30 pounds heavier and very sad. I walked into the party in my heel boots, hair done nicely, make up on and 3 sizes smaller. Everyone made me feel like a million bucks. I got so many compliments and it felt great. I didn't really have to talk about B too much. And when someone did ask about her, I answered very briefly and said that I just did not want to talk about it. I laughed a lot and was able to hold it together. I did think a lot about my daughter but I was able to also enjoy myself. This morning my aunt called (the one who actually threw the party) and told my sister that the most special part of the night was that I was laughing and having a good time. She told my sister that I looked terrific and that it was so good to see me actually mingling and not sitting in the corner sullen with tears in my eyes. That made me feel really good!!!

I am doing okay today. The initial shock of this all has pretty much wore off and I am getting used to it. Sad to say but each day gets easier. I am just going to have to find a way to live with this. I know there isn't anything that I can do. I know that I have done it all. I must find a way to deal with the sadness. I have moments where it takes over and I just feel like I am going to die of a broken heart and then I have moments where I am just so angry at her for making these choices. The anger is a lot easier to deal with. It's a roller coaster, as you all know. I want off!!! I have the Serenity Prayer on my fridge and I read it often. I know that this is something that I cannot change. That is so very hard to accept!!!

And Susie, you are so right. My sister and I often talk about this. Even if I were able to get her off the streets and in jail, then what? When she gets out, she will no doubt, end up right back where she started from. I know that her progress needs to come from her. I know that unless she is willing to do the work it takes to change and more importantly, wants to change, nothing that I do will make a difference in her life!!! The bottom line for me is that I have to find a way to live with this. And I will. I have had to learn to live with a lot with regards to my daughter. And I am sure there is more to come. I will get through this. I will not fall back into that hole I lived in for so many years. I have come too far to go backwards. And I have been a damn good mother, no guilt for me!!! Now my son deserves the same attention I have given to my daughter. I just need you to remind me, shoot, beat it into my brain, from time to time as I know I will stumble many times during this journey!

Shawna

DammitJanet

Bran...so sorry to be coming in here late..I have been quite sick this weekend. You have had some awful stuff to deal with lately...ugh...so sorry.

I am here to tell you that she can overcome every last thing she has been through. I have. Molested at 3, kidnapped and raped at 18, prostitution same age. I dabbled in prostitution but once you sell yourself once...its over. I cant remember how many times I did it to be honest.

Next time you actually talk to B, tell her there are two good places if she wants to get away but not actually come home. Covenant House and Under 21. When I ran away to the City that time, the guys I hooked up with ended up stashing me in one of those places...I cant remember which one it was now...when I ended up really sick and they helped me see a doctor and they got me busfare back to my home town which was what I wanted...but they had other programs too. Lots of runaways at those places. At least she would be safer.

TerryJ2

Shawna, that is so cool! I am so proud of you.
It was wonderful that you made it a goal to keep the focus on your uncle. And the fact that you looked and acted fabulous is great! It's so supportive to know that everyone was concerned about you and that your aunt called the next day.
You are an inspiration.
I am sending continuing support.