She's selling her plasma!

Nancy

difficult child came over today with her absentee ballot for husband to help her fill out. She was laid off from the part time job she had because it's seasonal and her new job doesn't start until Nov. 1 so she has no money. She told us she's been selling her plasma for $35 each time to help pay the rent. We talked about the new job and how she had to make it work. She asked husband if he would go to court with her on the 29th and he told her no but he would send someone from his office. I didn't think he would be able resist a court case. It's fairly straightforward but he didn't want to make it easy on her, wanted her to have to interact with a lawyer on her own. We had a serious talk about what she was doing with her life and she claims she is turning her life around and is never going to steal anything again and is very upset about it. Who knows whether that's true or not.

I gave her an air mattress we had in the basement for her roommate to sleep on and a couple fleece blankets I had made that were extra.

Nancy

S

Signorina

Nancy, you are a great mom. I know your difficult child is a paradox and the contradictions are so frustrating.

Fwiw- I am always struck by how clearly she knows right from wrong. And how often she tells you and wants you to believe that she is doing/ will do the right thing.

That gives me hope. For someday. She's not who SHE wants to be; and I really think her crash pad lifestyle will get old when the newness wears off.

{{{hugs}}}

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh boy Nancy, that plasma story must have been difficult to 'take in' for you. It was nice of you to give her the mattress and some blankets, you're doing a good job under such trying circumstances. I don't know, I'm with the others, there is something there that sounds encouraging..........Sending you hugs from my Mom heart to yours..............

dashcat

Nancy,
Good for you and your husband for staying strong about the hearing. It must be very difficult for him NOT to be involved at this point, but oh so wise to allow her to work through this on her own.

I don't even know what to say about selling the plasma. It's legal and safe, but I get how it could be very disconcerting for you both.

I agree with the others that your difficult child is approaching a crossroads here. Hoping and praying that her next step will be a constructive one.

Many hugs,
Dash

Kathy813

Staff member
Nancy, I think that you are doing a great job drawing the line between helping and enabling.

~Kathy

P

PatriotsGirl

When I first read this, I thought plasma was the TV. I agree - I would take selling the plasma over her body, too!!!

T

toughlovin

That was my first thought when I read this.... there are worse ways to make money than sell plasma... prostitution being one... I am pretty sure my difficult child is surviving by panhandling which feels pretty shameful to me given how he was brought up and that we are a middle class family... but it is what it is.

And yes I agree Nancy you are doing a great job in the balancing act between loving your daughter and not enabling.

TL

lovemysons

Nancy,
Glad husband is making difficult child have to deal with her court stuff on her own as much as possible.

I'm wondering if she thought telling you about how she is selling her plasma would make you all sympathetic towards her??? But glad she is finding a way (legal way) to make some extra money til new job starts.

I keep your daughter in my prayers regularly.
Hang in there,
LMS

Nancy

Thanks LMS. I don't think it was for sympathy. She didn't off that info until husband asked her about her rent and how much she still owed and what she planned to do to pay it and she told him that she'd been selling her plasma. I don't think she ever would have told us if he hadn't asked that question. It didn't get much sympathy from us, husband sort of chuckled and she said well what else am I suppose to do until I start working. I suggested she go down to the temp agency and see if there were any day jobs.