Shingles, celexa, and anti-viral medications, oh my!

Kathy813

Staff member
If you have been reading my threads on the substance abuse forum, you know that I am dealing with a lot of stress right now. My body knows it and is not cooperating with me. My therapist had me consult with a nurse practitioner that does medications management and she convinced me to go on a short term course of Celexa mostly for the anxiety component.

The day after I spoke with her I discovered a strange rash on my back which had been preceded by a couple of days of muscle aches in my back. I went to the doctor who immediately diagnosed it as shingles and started me on an anti-viral which seems to be kicking butt. I have had very little pain with the shingles.

Here's my question . . . I started both the Celexa (5mg) and the anti-viral medication the same day (Wednesday). The last couple of nights I have woken up several times very agitated which has never been a problem for me before. No matter what is going on with difficult child, I have always slept like a baby. I am also very fatigued today and have some strange eye twitches going on (both eyes).

Since this all started at the same time, I don't know if it is the one of the medications or the shingles itself.

Does anyone have experience with any of this?

Thanks,
~Kathy

DDD

I'm sorry you're having more problems, Kathy. Go on WebMD Rx section and read about the medications. They have "revews" that have provided me with alot of information over the years. One medication, for example, my husband took for years and when it was Rx'd for me I scan read over 300 reviews. Turns out the night leg cramps that he had were common with this medicine. I opted to halve the dose and I haven't had a cramp yet...plus the blood work shows half dose is effective!

Chances are that I would call the MD and make sure it is ok to deep six the Celexa until after the shingles are gone. Many hugs (very gentle hugs, by the way) coming your way. DDD

busywend

I would ween off celebs for a few weeks. Shingles us scary stuff...you need to know if it is related to shingles. Period.

sent from mobile phone

TerryJ2

So glad that the antiviral is working. It worked for me, too. As long as you catch it early, it works.
So sorry about the medication mix. You may have to wait.
Or take something else. What about Ativan or Xanax?