Shooting...Omaha NE Mall...

DammitJanet

I just caught the tail end of a special report on tv but it looks like we have had another spree shooting at a mall in Omaha NE.

How horrific for everyone especially right here at the holidays with everyone out shopping. I think they said 10 dead including the shooter but who knows how many injured.

Hope all our members are accounted for. Please check in.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I hope all our members are alright.

I saw this too on yahoo Janet. Such a senseless act. I'm not sure whether I'm more angry or sad.

DammitJanet

And they think the shooter was 19!...and with only previous misdemeanor convictions! What on earth could he have been thinking?

DDD

Probably, Janet, he needed help that was not readily available
like so darn many of our young people. I guess services will not
ever meet demand in our Nation but what a terrible loss results.
DDD

muttmeister

Just checking in..I really don't live near Omaha but I am in Nebraska so if anybody was wondering, it didn't involve me or mine... Although I have shopped in that mall in that store hundreds of times. Things like that are not supposed to happen here...I guess that is what everybody says no matter where it happens.

gottaloveem

I read this morning on drudgereport.com that he had emotional problems. He was suicidal and left a note at home. He had just got fired from his job at McDonalds. Last month he got a M.I.P. He also spent time in a group home.

I feel for all of the families of the victims. I feel for the shooters family. Sounds like they were struggling with him for some time. Now they have to live with not only his suicide, but with the fact that he took innocent lives with him.

How sad.

DammitJanet

Ugh...he could be one of our kids. Why oh why does this have to happen over and over because we cant get anyone to listen to us about services?

If anyone watches Law and Order:Criminal Intent on USA channel there is going to be an extended show tonight where the male lead character goes undercover into the prison system to uncover abuse in the mental health wards. Now I know this is just a fiction show but Law and Order bases their shows on fact. It should be very good and thought provoking. I am going to watch it and then email them to thank them for shedding light on something that really needs to be out there.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
:crying: The first thing I thought when I read the entire story about the shooting and the shooter's life was, "Oh my, he was a difficult child - his poor family, his poor soul."

It's a sad sad thing that happened and as much as I would love to lash out at him for being so self centered and stupid, there's a part of me that can see it from another point of view now.

Sending prayers out to everyone whose lives and families have been affected by this. I'm sure his family is hurting right along with the victims' families. :flower:

TerryJ2

Well, we just had an armed robbery at our local "upscale" mall. Arrgh! It's the only place I would take our kids because it was nice and safe. A few yrs ago, the mgt banned smoking (after taking a poll of shoppers!) and banned head bandannas (sign of a gang a few yrs ago). They have cops on single-wheeled scooters everywhere.
Still, a customer had their bag or purse stolen and was shot in the hand (after the bag was taken--go figure). My only consolation was that it was a precise hit--a hand--for a precise reason--a robbery, which indicates a degree of self control on the robber's part.
Shopping online sounds better every day.

jbrain

I haven't read a lot of details but did read that the lady who took him in felt sorry for him; he said his parents kicked him out. Hello, maybe they had a good reason?!
Jane

KFld

How sad, especially around the holidays!!

Janet, I'm going to try and catch that show tonight. Sounds like a good one.

slsh

member since 1999
The report I read said he was not on any medications for mental illness.

My heart goes out to the victims' families but at the same time, I ache for this young man who apparently had been bounced around in the system for quite a while. I can't begin to imagine the despair he must have felt to take this action. Just seems like he was thrown away - not excusing him, don't misunderstand me, but something went very wrong a long time ago for him.

There but for the grace...

Sara PA

The report I read said he was not on any medications for mental illness.
I stand corrected. I had read earlier reports from a "friend" who said he was taking antidepressants but I think the woman quoted in that story is a more reliable source.

He had been taking medication but quit because they made him feel "weird". It's unknown how long he was off them.

TerryJ2

Yes, I noticed that he'd been in foster care and definitely had anger issues. So sad and tragic for everyone.

SRL

What really burns me up is how the media keeps drudging it up from every angle. Do we really need a survelliance camera image of the shooter with gun in hand? There's obviously copycat behavior going on in hopes of being as famous as their predecessors and the media just plays right into their hands.