Shooting...Omaha NE Mall...

KFld

They do it everytime something like this happens. It gives the person who committed the crime all the attention they were looking for.

Star*

call 911........call 911
INFURIATED!!!!!!!

Did ANYONE else catch the CNN interview that said he reported while in a residential setting that he was MOLESTED?

Then see the STATE of NEBRASKA get up and say "We're not at fault, we're fine with our level of service."

EXPLETIVE EXPLETIVE FRI(*#)(*@+_)#+!@_

What level of service? SIX people were murdered in cold blood = and this difficult child. The principal of his high school said it best - MAYBE WE'RE ALL TO BLAME.

HECK YEAH - I guess this kid was a troubled difficult child and ultimately is responsible for his actions - but the audacity of grown ups to start jumping around going "It wasn't me it wasn't ME" makes my blood boil.

This is why I constantly suggest to newbies to keep records.

I have told the state, our caseworkers, the schools EACH and EVERY time we were denied some kind of service we asked for or any help - and they cited budget cuts I ASKED FOR IT IN WRITING telling them I have your name and someday when this kid does something really bad - I want YOUR name attached to the file as a person who did ABC - and IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE when you MAKE people accountable by including them and their comments in YOUR NOTES about YOUR kid - because YOU could be the parent of this tragic kid.

I am just outraged. Still hear the mental health worker on the interview "We are not responsible we gave adequate care." OBVIOUSLY! yeah right.

Another kid slips throught the cracks at a high cost to lives unfulfilled.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Our local coverage of this event was pitiful. They interviewed some phyciatrist who basically said that the kid didn't receive proper parenting and this is why it happened. The parents didn't give good boundaries, yadda, yadda.

I'm sorry, but you can 'properly' parent many children and it doesn't make a difference. That's like saying if you properly parented a child he/she wouldn't have cancer. :grrr:

<span style="color: #FF0000">IT'S MENTAL ILLNESS.</span>

I'm not saying any intervention would have helped, but I'm sick and tired of people immediately blaming the parents.

I don't know the details of his earlier life, but from my personal experience...some of this goes back to toddler years. No amount of intervention would have made a difference. You can try, try, and try all you want, but some things are just out of your control.

I wanted to strangle this guy. No, actually, I wanted him to live in my shoes. :smile:

Abbey

meowbunny

From the reports I've heard, this young man has had serious problems for a long, long time. He wasn't removed from his parents' home because of neglect or abuse. He was removed because he tried to strangle his mother. That speaks volumes to the amount of problems he had.

He may well have been one of those young men that no amount of intervention or therapy could have saved. It sounds like he was on a self-destruct course for a long, long time.

It is easy to blame social services for not doing anything but we really don't have all the facts. It sounds like they did try many things. He was hospitalized a few times; he had therapy and medication until he refused both. Yes, it's tragic he was molested while in care but he could have just as easily been molested at his home or at school or anywhere else.

To me, it sounds like this was a very troubled young man who was given many interventions but none of them succeeded. He could have come from one of our homes just as easily as he came from the system.

My heart grieves for all those who died and all those who tried to save this man.

mstang67chic

Going Green
With all of the reporst on this boy's background, I'm just waiting in the inevitable comments of "Why didn't he get the right help, why didn't his parents do X or Y" These comments, of course, will be coming from people who think you can just go out and get help for someone. They have no idea what is involved just to get someone signed up for anything, let alone qualify them for services they need. Assuming of course, that the services are available and affordable because insurance doesn't cover a whole lot.

I just wish people had a better understanding of this system and what it involves, what it does and what it doesn't do.

DDD

Ditto, Starbie, also. DDD

How many of us have difficult children who have the potential to make big
headlines? Too many. How many of us are left alone to find help
when the help that is needed isn't available? Too many. Sad.