Shoplifting difficult child wants her mommy

susiestar

Roll With It
That girl would SOOOO not want me as a mom. Makes you wonder what other crud she pulled and mom helped her out of, or IF mom helped her out of things.

The guy taping is not helping, but the people taunting her are not either.

I agree, why is it so hard to grasp that actions = consequences??

Abbey

Spork Queen
If I was her mom, I'd be putting my head in the sand right now. I think there has been some rescuing in the past. Just a guess. ;)

Abbey

mstang67chic

Going Green
If I was her mom, I'd be putting my head in the sand right now. I think there has been some rescuing in the past. Just a guess. ;)

Abbey

You never know about that though. difficult child will "run" to us when he's in trouble outside of the house and expects us to "fix" it. Doesn't matter that we never have, he expects it every single time. Yes, I will defend him and fight for him if I think he didn't do it but normally....you did it, you face it.

Lothlorien

I think she may have been doing drugs. She is extremely irrational. I've caught many, many shoplifters in my time in retail. I've never had one calling for his or her mom. Usually, it's deny, deny, deny, even when they are caught red-handed with the goods.

Abbey

Spork Queen
We're not allowed to stop a shoplifter...only a manager is. Now, you'd think when you have a good 50 managers in ONE store there would be one available in the blink of an eye that I could call to. Nope. You can NEVER find one.

We have a loss prevention person. That's all she does. Where is she? In the back all day long. Ummm...I don't think you're going to get too many shoplifters in the back. How about the front door? I know that's a new concept, but give it a go.

I'm about 15 feet in front of the front door and I see people walk out all day long with tons of stuff...sometimes whole carts of food. I've given up mentioning it.

Abbey

Lothlorien

I was so good at catching shoplifters. I developed a sixth sense. I used to freak the employees out. I could be standing in the back of the store and stop dead in my tracks and say...."there's a shoplifter in here." Sure enough, I'd catch someone. Then later that day, I'd say......"We are going to catch someone again." About an hour later, I'd see someone pull into the parking lot and know that they were going to steal something. Sometimes, I would call the cops before I even saw them do it. I just knew. I got very friendly with that police department and I was never, never wrong.

The funniest one, was when I was walking out to get lunch and stopped dead in my tracks. I didn't even know anyone was even in the store, but felt that we were going to have a shoplifter. Came back and sure enough saw the guy trying to steal work boots, but apparently that was too difficult and he moved onto something else. I just called the cops. They caught him with a $200. pair of shoes and he told the cops he "found them outside on the sidewalk."

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, I can pick them out in a heartbeat. The first sign is the high priced drinks at the entrance. They grab one...casually walk around, crack it open (which many people do)...still walk around but not picking anything up other than the drink. Then, they simply walk out the door.

The other one is the full cart. They'll fill the cart, then stop at Starbucks, get their drink and just wheel out the 10 feet to the door.

The most interesting one is those that buy the 'environment reusable' bags. They fill up the bags as they shop, then walk out as they have paid. Kind of a weird thing. You'd think that someone who buys those cloth bags would be a good person...not a thief.

In the end, if I'm told not to apprehend someone, I'm not. Company policy. Maybe this is why our grocery prices are so high.

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
You never know about that though. difficult child will "run" to us when he's in trouble outside of the house and expects us to "fix" it. Doesn't matter that we never have, he expects it every single time. Yes, I will defend him and fight for him if I think he didn't do it but normally....you did it, you face it.

Ditto. difficult child will always call me - INSTANTLY - and it's not because she wants to get out of anything. It's because she's freaking out and scared. And I do think the entire thing was mishandled. The guy who cuffed her - who was he?? And if he had her down on the ground, he should have left her there. And when the REAL guard showed up, he should have made that moron taping everything to leave the area as well as the onlookers to be quiet.

Things never go down as they should, especially when you have a hysterical thief and a person trying to do the right thing. Ugh - the whole thing is just so Jerry Springer.

TerryJ2

You'd think that someone who buys those cloth bags would be a good person...not a thief.

Hmm. Some of those bags are made of natural hemp. Maybe they've been smoking the stuff?

Yeah, the guy taping it must have been working for some tiny local station. Arg.

Star*

call 911........call 911
This video does not add up.

For a few reasons:

1.) HOW is it that 'someone' got there to video tape this AS she's being handcuffed? Odd wouldnt' you say?

2.) I get that there should and will be actions for her consequences, but who did you see in control in that situation? I didn't see or hear anyone who was really in control.

3.) When I replay this video - I hear a person who is continually allowed to say "YOU GOIN TA JAIL" and each time he says it the girl reacts more violently. My first reaction would have been to tell him to ZIP IT. He had no right to escalate that situation. She got caught, she's upset, she's bargaining (using the best coping skills she has) and it's not working and on the side is someone going NANA NANA BOO BOO STICK YOUR HEAD IN DOO DOO. He should be fired if he's a cop. You do eventually hear what may be a policewoman calmly talking to her - and you see the girl trying to just talk - not scream, but in the mean time you hear again YOU GOIN TA JAIL. Unreal.

4.) When the person is continually allowed to say things TO the girl - the cop gets more and more violent with her and eventually you hear him yelling at her (not necessary) through gritted teeth. And then he jerks her to the ground again.

I gotta tell you - if THIS is how that officer handled a simple shoplifter I WOULD HATE to see how he reacts in a situation with someone who is mentally or emotionally disabled.

This video scares the heck out of me.

Lothlorien

Star, the video appears like a cell phone video. Everyone has them now and that's why so many of these type of videos are popping up. I don't believe it was an officer, but rather an undercover security person from the store that she shoplifted from.

TerryJ2

I showed it to my easy child. She thinks it's a cell phone too, and the guy shouting is just being a jerk. There are a lot of teens standing in the background so it's either a teen store, or they know the guy who's got the phone, or something.
The girl was out of it, definitely on something. Stick thin, too. Not a good combo.