Shopping- what have I done??

klmno

I went to the mall tonight planning to get difficult child one pair of jeans at jc penney's (where he'd always had good luck finding clothes he liked) so he could exchange them for something else if they didn't fit, and to get him a gc for the mall (applies at any store there). Well, they no longer have a jc penney there but the have a levi's, so I went there planning to get one pair of jeans.

It had been years since I'd been in levi's store and was shocked at their prices, so I went to the clearance section and found a coupl of pairs of jeans that might fit for 9.90 a piece. I think difficult child would wear either 36 or 38 W and either 32 or 34 L. He calims he has a pair of pants in Department of Juvenile Justice that say they have a 29 1/2-32 1/2 inseam and they are several inches too long- but I don't think that's possible. He wore a 29 L before leaving home last year and he's grown several inches this past year. So I picked him out 2 of those for 9.90 that are 36 W x 34L. I couldn't find any 36x32.

Then they told me about a sale going on where if you bought two pair of jeans from a specified three styles, you got $40 off. That sounded good so I picked two pair out- one was 36X32 and one was 38X32. I was thinking I'd do this instead of a GC to the mall and difficult child could could exchange or take them back if they didn't fit. I asked to verify that he could return them- one person said he could exchange them for another size, one person didn't know and one person said he "should" be able to exchange them, but could definitely return them to get the money back. I thought I'd picked one pair at 49.50 and one at 59.50, so I thought this was a great deal. Then, I found out that those for 9.90 couldn't even be exchanged for another size. I was hungry and wanted out of there so I bought them anyway. I hope difficult child's waiste isn't bigger than 36" when he can wear a 34 L, if they are too long now.

Then, I realized that the other two were 49. 50 and 69.50. Darn if I would have gotten any jeans for 69.50, even on sell. But what's worse is that I looked at the recipt at home and at the bottom is thei return policy. Any item not marked as final sell can be returned within 60 days (with receipt) or exchanged, even without receipt. Good. Then it says that any item marked off 50% or more is to be considered a final sell and cannot be returned or exchanged at all. Well, how are they going to view these two pair of jeans that I just spent $80 on? Once I realized that one had been 69.50, I was going to tell difficult child to return them and pick a few pair off the clearance rack or take the money to another store to get clothes.

The way I figure it, if you had to get two pair to get 40 off, then the 40 discount is to be divided equally between the two pair, meaning each got 20 off, making each less than a 50% discount. But will they look at it that way? When did buying jeans get so complicated?

crazymama30

I love our penneys here, they have great sales. Last time I went there I got easy child 7 pairs, difficult child 1 pair, easy child about 3 shirts and paid about $100. Of course there were major sales and many of the items were on clearance.

I have always found Levi's to be very spendy. They have a Levi's outlet here and I have not been in it since high school.

donna723

I always had good luck at Penneys too. But unless he's very tall, a 34" length will probably be too long for him. My son wears a 34" inseam length and he's a tall, skinny 6'5" with grasshopper legs! I've been ready to pull my hair out before looking for jeans for him! He wears a 33 waist - 34" length! If I can find one or two pairs in the whole store, I consider myself lucky!

klmno

difficult child is going to have some money of his own for the rest of his shopping and I can take him to another mall to go to penneys'. I was just checking online and I'm not sure it would be any benefit to take these jeans back- if they take them back- before difficult child gets home. I looked online and he could get two pair of levis at penneys for 80, but if he can exchange sisizes and keep these, there's no difference. I'm not worried about the 34 L- he's only 15 and will keep getting taller- whether or not he'll have a 36 w then is a different story- they might get sold thru the internet. lol!

DammitJanet

Donna is right, unless he is very tall, the 34 or 36 in inseam is LONG! Jamie had to wear 36 inseam when he was growing up. Now he skimps and wears 34 if he cant afford to actually pay for the more expensive pants. His uniform pants are 36 though. Once in a blue moon he will actually find the 36 inch ones in Penny's but I normally had to order them and yeah they got more expensive than the ones I could buy for the other boys.

Odd how just the difference from 6'1 or 6'2 to 6'5 can make that much difference...lol. All the guys in my family are from 6 foot to 6'5.5 and they wear from a 32 to 36 inch inseam.

klmno

These that were $9.90 that I know can't be taken back are 36W x 34L. The other two are 32L. Ok, I'll take you ladies' word on this, but if I wear a 28-30L and my son is 6 inches taller than me, how is it that a 34L would be way too long for him? I get the fact that he would grow proportionally and it wouldn't all be leg length that would increase, but the pants should only be 4 inches longer than mine. Oh well.

Janet, if difficult child can't wear these and you'd like two pair of levi's for Jamie at a real good price, let me know!

Also, these aren't pre-washed so I have no idea if I can expect any shrinkage but the good levi's I uised to get occasionally as a teen and young adult rarely shrunk much.

M

ML

I hope he loves them and they fit. If they are too long do you know someone would could hem them? I have a good friend I work with that hems manster's pants because he's tends to need the wider pants that are always too long.

klmno

I was thinking about that, too, ML. We'll see how much longer they are and if it might be worth just holding onto them until next year or cutting them off and having them hemmed to be shorts- or hemming them to keep them as long jeans.

klmno

Guessing here just based on where he was and how he compares a year later, standing next to him- I'd say 5'-9" and about 160-165 pounds.

DammitJanet

Then year I would say he would wear about a 34 or 36 waist and a 32 length.

Cory is 6 foot tall and weighs 170 and 34 sagging. Can wear 32 if you wanted him to wear a normal tight fit...but he refuses. He wears a 32 or 30 sagging but would need the 32 at least if he wore them normal.

DammitJanet

well Im guessing he would be a 36x32 or 36x34 maybe.

cory is 6 foot tall and weighs 170-173. He wears 34 x 32 34x30 sagging. He can wear a 32x32 or 32x34 if you want him in tight normal wearing pants but he flat refuses saying guys shouldnt show their tight butts. LOL.

donna723

It all depends on how they are built too. My son is a tall, skinny 6'5" with very long legs and needs a 34" inseam length. My son-in-law is only a half-inch shorter at 6'4-1/2" and a little chunkier but all of his height comes from being very long-waisted, so he doesn't need the extra length in the legs at all. His problem is finding shirts that are long enough so that his shirt tails aren't always hanging out and flapping in the breeze!

DammitJanet

Donna...Jamie has both problems...lol. He has to get really big shirts too. The cuffs are always halfway up his arms and you can see his belly!

klmno

Well I have decided to toss it in the gift box I'm going to wrap for difficult child with the other clothes I've picked up for him- but I'm leaving the tags on and keeping the receipt. He can try them on then decide what he wants to do- I'll take him to exchange or return them. He could get 3 pair of cheaper jeans someplace else for the price of those two, I think. Maybe he can get one or two pair that fit out of all four.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - I know how hard it is! husband is 5'10" but has very long legs. He wears a 33W/34L. And they're not dragging the ground! But a 33 waist is amazingly hard to find in any store so when I find them I'll buy 2 or 3 pair.

BFF - is 6' even and wears 40W/32L. This isn't easy to find either, H and I tag team both the guys, if she finds something that fits husband she'll get it, and vice versa.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Pants are a pain in the patootie to buy!
husband is 6'2" and he weighs 185-190 he varies
He wears a 35"- 34" in most jeans.
I like a 32" length in most of my jeans. I am 5'6" Women's jeans run differently.

Lothlorien

husband is 6 foot. He wears anywhere from 32 to 34, but his inseam is really about 33. 34s are just a little too long and they drag. In dress pants we usually get 32.

My Dad is 6' 7". His inseam is 36

klmno

The 34's will probably be a mile too long then. I still don't get it though- if I'm 5'-2" and have a pair of men's jeans with inseams of 30" that are only a tad long, how can my son who is 7-8 inches taller not need at least a 34 inch inseam...it sure makes me miss the days where it was cool to roll up the bottoms. LOL!