Short question...Abilify/Risperdal

lovelyboy

Hi all....Our lives have changed to the good since my oldest son has been put on Risperdal by the neuro, only 0.2ml made a huge difference! BUT he gained almost 8 kg and is still gaining....he also started bedwetting...Both side effects of Risperdal!
So the psychiatrist said we need to switch to Abilify....same function, less side effects!
Does any of you have experience with these drugs?

buddy

Q is on zyprexa and has gained 40lbs since starting it. He has also grown a few inches but he definitely grew out more than up since the zyprexa. Risperdal and seroquel caused aggression. Not sure why the zyprexa works but very glad it does!

lovelyboy

Thanx Buddy! I was vERY worried that the Risperdal would cause aggression! When the dosage is literally 1 drop more, his agitation goes through the roof! One drop less....he is on 4 DROPS...his aggitation goes all the way down! Unbelievable!

lmf64

My son was on Abilify. I loved it, but hated the side effects. He gained 70 pounds in 5 months on it the last time. We went with Geodon and he hasn't gained weight with it.

Kathy813

Staff member
My daughter started Abilify over a month ago and she seems much calmer and happier now. She has not gained any weight.

~Kathy

crazymama30

My son has been on both medications. Everyone reacts differently to these medications. My difficult child had to go off abilify as the effect wore off and he was taking about 35mg and raging through that. Now my difficult child is on invega (long acting risperdal). He had some weight gain with both medications, but not much that you would notice.

If the medication is working, would it be worth having your difficult child sleep in pull ups? If he is only 4.5yrs old, that is not too old to be wetting the bed, in my opinion. My difficult child wet the bed untill 4th or 5th grade.

TerryJ2

My son gained 10 lbs but the medication didn't do a thing.
He used to take desmopressen for bedwetting and depression but he doesn't need it any more. We still have a plastic liner on his bed, though, just in case. I think he outgrew most of the bedwetting by age 13. It took a long time! I hope your son doesn't take that long but sometimes it happens.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My son became very aggressive on Risperdahl (sp?) and had serious side effects on Abilify (Tardive Dyskensia). Of course, not many of the regular medications helped my difficult child.