Should I be suspicious?

marianna37

marianna37
My son was recently determined eligible as OHI and ED at school. However the IEP team is quite reluctant to approve any accommodations for his special needs (BP1, ADHD, and Diabetes) I wanted him on homebound to start the year because of his unstable blood sugar. (Very high most of the time from non compliance with insulin regimen, diet, etc)
His endocrinologist said we could work with the school on that but he's very sick a lot of days and if I keep him home they don't like that and if I send him to school I just end up picking him up later in the day. The school is threatening us with truancy charges already 3 weeks into the school year. At the last ARD, I requested an IEE and to my surprise I received a quick reply to give the go ahead to choose a tester and get the testing done. I expected that to be a major skirmish to get that accomplished. I am a little leery of what is going on? I don't mean to sound suspicious although I know I do. Why would they approve expensive testing and not approve accommodations that cost nothing or very little money?

klmno

I think it would help you to get a letter from his doctors, psychiatrist, etc, saying how his illnesses effect his ability to learn (and attendence in school) and that he needs XXX and YYY accomodations. Then, you have something to stand on if they won't work with you on them. Have you tried this yet? My son has a BiPolar (BP) diagnosis and it is only now getting better- no matter what I said, they were convinced it was just bad behavior. And, in some ways, it starts over every school year.

Oh- and Welcome!

smallworld

Every time your son needs to stay home or come home early from school due to his disability, you need to provide the school with a written note from his doctor explaining the absense. This documentation protects you from truancy charges.

In our county SD, a parent can't request homebound. A doctor must provide a written request for home instruction, which then must be approved by the proper administrators in the SD. You need to check the formal procedures for obtaining homebound in your SD. by the way, homebound is not a free accommodation, but if it is necessary, it should be provided. It generally costs the SD extra money to hire a tutor to provide home instruction for your difficult child.

If you have further questions, please don't hesitate to post again.

marianna37

marianna37
I actually have provided a letter to the school from each doctor documenting his condition and how that affects his ability to attend school and be in the classroom environment. The homebound was denied because the endocrinologist didn't want to place him on it. So I'm being forced to decide almost daily whether he should go or not. I send him knowing he'll end up coming home, a lot. I provide documentation from the Texas Children's that I've called the Dr. when he comes home from school. With a diabetic child you can't run to the hospital every time their blood sugar is high. The school doesn't seem to understand that I'm not going to have a doctor's note from an appointment. I also document myself when he misses with his blood sugar level, ketone amount, symptoms, etc. And I email the attendance office and print each one so that I have that record too. I know that homebound is expensive to the school, but that's already not an option. I'm just asking for some really simple things like a set of textbooks for home. ("Oh, No! State law only allows us to issue one set per child.") Even the few things they did accommodate for are not being done. (Like something as simple as preferential seating). I will just go back in there next time and explain again the rationale behind my requests. The doctors and I have done what we can to thoroughly document the situation. So, we'll see...

klmno

It sounds like you might need to consult a Special Education attny. That is what it took for people in difficult child's school to listen. Actually, I had to do it last year and the year before. I hope I don't have to do it again this year. Fortunately, when I've sent certified letters to the dept's Special Education director and "mentioned" in the letter that I have consulted an attny, or just cc the attny and list that at the bottom of the letter, with a copy to the principal, the iep team becomes a lot more agreeable. It is a struggle to keep up with the sd implementing what is in the iep. I have come to respond to statements like "he didn't stay focused in classes the past 2 days and he's talking a lot and won't sit still" with answers like "that means he's hypomanic, discuss strategies with so-and-so at school, or use "safe place" technique as listed in iep- if that doesn't work, we can have another IEP meeting to see what other accomodations might help". So far, that works.

I think it's a stretch for them not to want to give you a second set of textbooks to keep at home.

marianna37

marianna37
I had to smile when you were describing the teachers describing your son's behavior. When I'm in a meeting with all my son's teachers and they are fussing about his impulsivity, talking out, lack of focus, spaciness, etc. I always come back with something like, "sounds like your describing a mixed bipolar episode to me." Then they just stare with blank looks and I give them more bipolar education articles. (or diabetes, or adhd, or whatever the case may be) It's kinda like they just really don't get it. But I want to always try and give them the benefit of the doubt. It's just hard sometimes...

SRL

I would see if the endicrinologist would approve homebound for the last few hours a day (instead of full time) until he's stabilized and can consistently attend full time.

marianna37

marianna37
That's a good idea, I will see about that. Believe me, if there was any other pediatric endocrinologist to go to, I would. They have been pretty difficult at times to work with.

Christy

I am surprised that the SD is not more in favor of the homebound instruction. It seems like thay would not want to take responsibility for any medical situations that might arrise from the unstable blood sugars. Contact the metal health association (due to the bipolar) and see if you can get someone to help you "navigate" the system Once you sign a consent to share info, the agency can help you make the necessary phone calls and get things put in place. It can also get the doctor to be more hepfulwith providing the necessary documentation. Many states have 211 in place (a phone number like 911 or 411) that has a rundown of local agencies that could be of help to you.

Good Luck!
Christy

marianna37

marianna37
Since I last posted, Matthew had to be hospitalized for 3 days in the ICU for DKA. (Diabetic Ketoacidosis) I knew that was coming down the road and the endocrinologists and school district didn't listen to me. Yes, the poor blood sugar control was a huge factor. However, if he had been receiving homebound instruction he wouldn't have missed all these days of school due to his illness and not have all this pressure on him when he is so sick. He called me this morning from school wanting to come home because he was so fatigued. His blood sugar was fine so I told him he needed to stay at school. But really, how much is he going to take in or benefit? His health is not conducive to the strain of the classroom environment right now. But, if I pick him up all the time, the AP threatens me with truancy charges. His absences are all medically documented but why do they have to add to our stress level when our son is chronically sick? Matthew is still trying to be non compliant with his medication regimen. Unless we watch every blood sugar check and every shot and every pill he is not trustworthy to take his medicine. If that is not irrational behavior I don't know what is. I will follow up with an agency who might be able to convince his doctor for the need of homebound instruction. On the other hand, I'm pretty exhausted trying to get Matthew what he needs and he sabotages his own health with such self destructive behavior.

marianna37

marianna37
But going back to my original question I am really trying to figure out the school district's strategy to okay IEE but not give any really simple accommodations.