SHOULD I CALL THE DOCTOR????????

tired Cheryl

I'm sorry that I do not have any advice regarding your son's medications. Just wanted to offer you some support. Mornings are always rough around here as well as my difficult child wakes up ready for battle. I sympathetize with you. It is tough to start your day like that isn't it?

yes, call the doctor! Hope that you get in to see the neuropsychologist soon and that you get some answers that will help you both!
Cheryl

I did call the doctor and cleared up other issues too.... they took him off of Vyvanse. Too many complaints from too many people!

he's back on Adderall XR 20 mg for the time being. The reason we switched was that it wasn't quite strong enough but his doctor doesn't want to up the dosage until after testing. This weekend was okay considering the circumstances. His impulsiveness was a little more than what I wanted it to be but his attitude was 1000% better!

With that being said my child is tiny. A twig to say the least. I've been having the worst problems with the school. He will not eat school lunch. His school system lunch cost $2.50/day. He wastes it! He took peanut butter for lunch most of last year. Well the cafeteria lady (monitor) decided to confront me saying he couldn't eat peanut butter anymore because it's not healthy. What? She told me the principal told her that he would have to buy school lunch if he brought it again.

The poor child will not eat at school. I told the doctor this. He told me NO! He COULD eat peanut butter everyday at lunch if that's what he will eat. If the school had a problem with it to call him directly. So, I spoke with his wonderful teacher and she was shocked that I was told that he couldn't have peanut butter. She told me that it was the lunch lady saying that not the principal. I explained everything to her and she said she would take care of it. I told her that difficult child was upset when he found out he would be taking lunch again because he said that lunch lady always got him in trouble. Excuse me? You do not jump on a 8 year old for something that his parents do. thank you....

So....my difficult child also will not eat the snacks that the teacher gives them in the afternoon (they eat lunch extremely early) so she's allowing difficult child to bring in yogurt to keep in her fridge.

Ahhh....they joys of public school!!!!! SO I'm hoping everything is calm until testing now.

Oh....and difficult child has discovered the joys of "pocket pool". That's a habit that I want to break, but I know it's normal (and embarrassing for him) but I don't want to draw attention to it. What do I do there?

SRL

Unless your district has a ban on peanut butter, the cafeteria lady is waaaay out of line. My kiddo has taken PB on bread with no crusts nearly every day for five years and it's none of their business as long as it fuels him to get him through the day.

Sensory issues often make the school cafeteria a nightmare for our kids.

They serve pb&j on their lunch menu twice a month! I told them what would they rather have.....him distracted because he's hungry or them concerned about his nutrition which the doctor has no problem with.

The doctor just started him on nutripals (like pediasure) to make sure he's getting enough of what he needs. My reaction was the same on the comments.

But....that's tough for them. HE took peanut butter this morning!

smallworld

If the school continues to give you a hard time about what your difficult child brings for lunch -- and they shouldn't unless it's a peanut-free school -- you should have the doctor write a note saying he needs it for his health. That should end the matter.

I spoke with the doctor about that. He said that he was going to contact the school personally. And that after his testing this month that once everything is "confirmed" that they will write out a "diet plan" for the school.

(Basically....he can eat what he wants....within reason)

And no....it is a pb school. They offer it on the lunch menu.

Go figure.

nvts

My difficult child 1 ate "chicken and pickles" sandwiches for 1 full year everyday at school. His teacher called me and asked me to send an extra 1/2 the next day. Why? I said. She said with all due respect, I don't want to tell you yet.

The next day, I sent the extra 1/2 sandwich. I got a phone call from the teacher asking permission to give my phone number to 2 parents. Why? I said.

They had 2 kids who wouldn't eat ANYTHING at school. She cut the 1/2 sandwich into two pieces and had difficult child 1 offer them to the 2 kids. They tried it and went nuts on it! She had told the other parents what she was going to try, so they wanted my number to find out what the heck "chicken and pickles" was.

One Mom cried because her kid would fight her about everything she wanted him to eat. He was living on cereal and supplements.

by the way: Chicken and pickles is gross. It's canned chicken, mayonaise and sweet relish squished together and slapped on bread. Yuck!

jannie

trying to survive....
Just wondering...did the doctor say that he's had several complaints from patients taking Vyvanse?? Do you happen to know what the complaints were? I'm curious because me son is taking vyvanse...and any feedback is greatly appreciated....

Also, do you feel your child is less cranky and irritable on the adderall versus the vyvanse??

I can't believe they are giving you a hard time for peanut butter...Hopefully it will all work out..

Thanks

:thumbsdown:

They've had several complaints on extreme irritablity on Vyvanse. my child was mean (which he's not anything like that) and moody. Very emotional.

So they took him off and put him back on adderall. He's less irritable on the adderall but we changed him because he was at the point of needing his dosage increased again. So he's back on the original dose for now.

all these medications cause decreased appetite. I could only get him to eat breakfast & he'd skip lunch & maybe eat a little something later at night.

So....I'm hoping the appetite will gradually increase with the lower dosage!

YES....the school made a big deal about him eating Peanut Butter "all the time" but they don't realize children like him are all about "textures". If he wants peanut butter I'm not complaining. it's protein & he's eating!!!!!!

Oh....

the most common complaints was:

constipation (bad)
moodiness
aggressive behavior
emotional
extreme loss of appetite

He started all of his adderall patients on Vyvanse & over half have changed back to original medications within the first 2 months.