Should I take the offer and run?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I got another offer on my dear van today. I guy working on a house two doors down saw the "For Sale" in the window.

He wasn't deterred by the dead battery. Helped me jump it so he could hear the engine.

He said he likes it a lot, but starts nitpicking with all the little defects.

Blue Book, based on its current condition is $3,300. But hey, it's a recession, I realize this.

The guy is offering me $2,000 cash. I wanted $2,500 cash -- especially since I just put new tires, brakes, shocks, an oil change and now a new battery in it. He's pointing out the smallish dent in the rear, the door handle that needs to be replaced, the starburst heat damage on the hood, etc. What does he expect for a 10yo van with 123,000 miles on it? The tranny has 80,000 on it. The water pump, fuel pump and fuel injectors have all been replaced within the past 5 years. The engine runs good. I just had it smogged AND the registration renewed. He's just going to take it to Mexico and register or sell it there.

Am I being greedy, or should I take the money and wave buh-bye to my sweet van?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh YOU TWO are no help! :p

Marcie, I was thinking of driving it around Santa Ana one weekend to see if I get any bites. I've had about a half dozen hispanic guys call about it since I put the phone number in the window! $2,000 seems to be the magic number... doesn't matter if I ask for $3,000 or $2,500, they always come back to $2,000.

It's a 1999 Astro van, and you can only import 10yo used cars into Mexico, effective last year. So right now, a '99 is the only year car you can export right now. Next year, it will be model year 2000.

Last edited:

donna723

They're nit picking if they're bringing up small boo boo's on a ten year old vehicle! I'd hold out and see if the guy will go higher.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I gave him my number and said I'd ask my husband (always a good fall-back) about the price. He can play the heavy for me :)

I also just emailed a San Diego dealership that's close to the border to see if they're interested in buying it from me.

witzend

I'd hold out for the $2,500 and tell him that I will take his number and let him know in a week if it doesn't go for that price. Be sure that he knows you only take cash.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
List it for 3,000 or best offer

OR, you can send my difficult child a picture of it - the boy could sell carp on a stick, and people walk away thinking they got the deal of the century. SO was trying to sell our 72 Dart Swinger - didn't run, wasn't registered - after about a month he told Dan he would give him some of the money if he could sell it - 4 days later it was gone, and for a lot more than SO was asking for it.

And may I say you are one brave woman to even THINK about driving around Santa Ana .. not even my difficult child would take a trip down there LOL

Marcie

M

ML

I think you should hold out for at least $2,250, not a penny less. I think you'll get your $2,500 if you can be patient.

by the way I used to live in Santa Ana eons ago. I went to Valley High in 1977! Gosh I'm getting old. I also went to Lake Forest High (El Toro then) where I graduated in 79. Small world :)

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think if the guy will give me $2,250 cash I will take it. I'm afraid something BIG will go on it if I wait much longer... I'm thinking the rear end, or a head gasket... someone told me the serpentine belt needed replacing, and that's pretty expensive if I remember right...

Marcie, I lived in downtown Santa Ana just a few blocks off Main and 17th -- alone, in a 1-bedroom apartment for about a year. The apartment was very old -- beautiful wood floors under the carpet, plaster walls, a drop-down ironing board in the kitchen, all original fixtures and tile in the kitchen and bathroom, large linen closet. I loved that place! There were historic homes, some restored, on either side of my complex that were absolutely gorgeous. Occasionally a homeless guy would be passed out on the lawn... or I'd hear gunshots a few blocks away. Never really bothered me. I was on the second floor and had a front and back door stair entrance. I felt safe! And my Spanish was fair enough to get me by... I'll go there during the day... probably not at night so much anymore, though!

ML -- you're not that much older than me! I grew up in Huntington... went to Edison! Dated a guy who graduated from Mission Viejo HS (but that was after college). You're right, it is a very small world! :D I'm so glad about that!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay it's official - when I go to buy a car - I"M ASKING ALL OF YOU!!!!!!

DANG - talk about ruthless.......

My thought was tell him you were going to have it listed it on EBAY - and then do so.

Tell him you're waiting for the best offer over $2300.00

If he can give you $2250 - it's his.

Hes nit picking to get the price down -

When you're in an accident - you nit pick to get the price UP from the adjuster.

Maybe you should take it to a dealership and ask them what they would give you in trade and buy yourself a SEXY SEXY car.......

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Ohhh, my dreamy, sexy, sexy car is waaaaay out of my tax bracket :p Mercedes SL500 convertible. Someday... someday...

This van is our third vehicle. As useful as it is, I need the cash for bills more. :(

We'll see if he calls me Friday. It has a new battery now and runs great! I can always keep it a while longer, I guess.

Star*

call 911........call 911
SAWWWWWWWWWWWEEETTTT car.......

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&sigr=1293vmtgv&sigi=127mc20k6&sigb=144r4b99c

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yup, that's the car, Star! I yell every time I see one and say "HEY! Whaddya doin' drivin' MY CAR?! That's MY CAR!!! MINE!!!"

Hadn't thought of that, MLA. Maybe I should take a drive down there this weekend... can't hurt to ask!