Should we be worried?

Wiped Out

Staff member
I did hear on CNN yesterday that although they are saying that having had the flu shot will not help, one of the reporters talked to someone in the health dept and was told it's possible it could help since this flu has 4 strains combined so if someone who had the flu shot gets it, it could help with the symptoms being milder-they aren't sure though.

Hopefully it won't get bad here and I'm not overly concerned except if it is a stomach virus (I heard sometimes vomiting can be a part of this). I know if that happens to me I will be headed in immediately for ivs so I can try to avoid another repeat hospital stay like in December.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Don't know anything about it and if I read about it I'll probably end up getting it.

3Shadows...too funny.

Abbey

smallworld

TM, there is a nasal swab test for seasonal flu. You should ask your pediatrician if there is a similar test for swine flu. In order for an anti-viral like Tamiflu or Relenza to be fully effective, you need to start on the anti-viral within 48 hours of first symptoms (and by "fully effective," it means the symptoms are lessened, not completely stopped). Anyone who comes down with a fever and cough should see a doctor sooner rather than later.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Witz you're absolutely right. Be vigulant in your hand washing folks. Lots of hot water and soap. Be sure to get between the fingers and under the nails each time. I'm not sure if those bottles of disinfectant wash would do much good. I think they contain antibacterial solution.....and this is not a bacteria....it's a virus. So skip the convenient bottle and get to the sink. I know if I find myself in any medical setting in the near future no one is touching me that I having seen scrub their hands in the sink. You'd be amazed at what simple hand washing can prevent.

I have a feeling since I'm taking microbiology this quarter this is going to be a Hot Topic in class.

TM......personally, I'd get ducky to the doctor if she's sick, most especially if you live in a state that has already had cases. Keep a good decongestant/expectorant medication on hand. It's the complication of pneumonia and dehydration that can kill.

When I get home from school I'm calling easy child. I'm not sure if she's seen the reports. But Brandon has been sick the past few days with some "flu like" symptoms that the mucus is bad enough to choke and gag the poor little guy to where catching his breath is an obvious effort. Probably isn't swine flu, but he needs to see the pediatrician doctor anyway. Him having that much trouble breathing at times is worrying me.

Wash your hands people every chance you get. Use HOT soapy water, remember to scrub between fingers and under the nails.

SRL

They don't have in office tests for this strain. I think the CDC guidelines instruct doctors to do a nasal swab and send it in.

tiredmommy

I guess I'm worried because my grandmother told me all about the horrors of the 1918 outbreak... she lost a sister and several classmates in Horncastle, England. I don't think we realize how lucky we've been that there have been no serious epidemics/pandemics in our lifetime.

I wonder if the medical community will urge people to stay home and schools will be closed in hard hit areas? It's so weird that this is hitting as we enter the warmest part of the year!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
It's so weird that this is hitting as we enter the warmest part of the year!

No it isn't...

Migratory birds have just finished their trek back up into the colder regions of the northern hemisphere....carrying with them all kinds of parasites and pathogens.

in my opinion....the best defense (in addition to good hygiene such as thorough hand-washing) is to be HEALTHY. Eat healthy, nourishing foods, get plenty of rest, exercise regularly, get outdoors, be fit. Middle-aged adults are the ones often most likely to be neglecting their health by working too many hours, not getting enough sleep, eating too much junk food (or skipping meals altogether) and failing to get enough recreation. Their immune systems are taxed....and I think that's why they fall victim to these types of flus more readily than children or seniors.

Stay healthy, everyone!

--DaisyF

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
easy child is leaving for Spain tomorrow. In the paper this morning they said there are uncomfirmed cases in Spain. She will be in flight for a better portion of tomorrow. I am going to buy her some carry on antibacterial wipes to bring with her and remind her to stay WELL hydrated and stay out of small crowded places...oh wait, that would mean an AIRPORT, wouldn't it? Anyway, I'm hoping she will take me seriously because most times she rolls her eyes at me these days.

She's been sick since November with colds and flus and headachy things and the doctors just haven't been able to figure it out. She gets better, then she gets sick again. I honestly think it's a combination of her not eating right and not getting enough vitamin C and drinking enough water. Seriously, her immune system is not in a good place. I suggested she go get tested for Lymes last week and her response was she didn't have time. She even called our family Dr to ask that they call in the blood draw and they wouldn't do it without seeing her first. What kind of carp is that?

Anyway, everyone stay clean and get lots of water and fresh air! As an asthmatic myself, I know how scary the word "Flu" can be, TM. Hopefully we will all be just fine.

Jena

good morning,

The flu has hit all kids here in new york city and in long island. I think their still confirming long island cases, yet the queens one's were confirmed.

It is true that it is a weaker strain of it so far. It occured when ppl traveled to mexico on break (spring break) than flew back to the states and so it begins.

This really is one of those things that there is nothing we can do. I think just being more aware will help us, in other words if we see our kids have a fever i normally would ride it out for a day to see if it's viral and than head to dr. now i won't ride it out i'll get her in right away.

schools' are school's their germy, kids are germy as we all know. i'm going to go out today and get antibacterial stuff for house. yet one thing i know for sure is i certainly won't be sharing it with-difficult child at this point or she'll be housebound!! I think all of us with kids with-anxiety should be aware of that one.

yet when they talk in school we can't control that. it is scary to see how vulnerable we are, yet it is good news that those kids in queens did have a weaker strain of it, the dad on t.v. said it wasn't that bad she's better now.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Germophoebe here -

Moving to a cave........
with lots of antibacterial soap and hot water......and a mask.....omg. :sick:

I have a prescription for Tamiflu (about $100 a pop) and never filled it. At Christmas time I thought I woke up with the flu, went to the doctor and had NO idea they could do a swab for flu. THey did that and a 15 minute test/swab for strep. Both came back negative - but if you do get the flu and (according to my tennis champ doctor) take it immediately? WIthin 48 hours you are back on the court. lol

(I'll keep THAT in mind - you know for those tennis days)

KTMom91

TM, I was also thinking about the 1918 outbreak. My Nana said they closed the schools, so she graduated high school a year later, in 1920 rather than 1919. People were wearing masks, but when the end of WWI was announced, everybody was out in the streets, kissing and hugging, big celebrations, with no masks.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My grandmother's sister died from the 1918 flu outbreak. She was 16 years old living in Iowa. Ironic that her father was a pharmacist -- he couldn't do a thing for her. My mom still has some of his notes from when he was trying to compound something to help his daughter and all the people who were sick in their area... to no avail. It was a very tragic time for that side of our family.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
So I went to CNN for the latest update on the swine flu....and I don't see a lot of casualties. The symptoms for this strain of flu sound exactly like the symptoms for any other flu I've ever had--and like other flus, it can be deadly if it progresses to pneumonia or infects someone with an already weakened immune system due to another condition. So, in my opinion, this doesn't look like anything to panic about.

As a matter of fact, a few weeks ago a terrible flu swept through this area. Seemed like everybody was getting sick. High fevers, sore throats, headaches, body aches, fatigue....etc. Most of us just stayed home and had chicken soup and extra fluids--so if it was the Swine Flu, we'll never know....

--DaisyF

Lothlorien

They are making such a huge deal of this, today, on the news and it's scaring people. It's only an epidemic in Mexico, where medical care is seriously lacking. No one in the US has died from this and it's only a handful of people that have gotten in in three states. I believe the Avian flu was much worse.

I looked up the symptoms and it's the same as the other flu viruses. Quick onset of high fever, aches, congestion. If your doctor doesn't have the swab, your local ER has it. Get the swab done if she has any symptoms and put your mind at ease.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Now you guys are getting me all worried. My daughter has been sick for a few weeks. Just off the phone with her and she is still coughing up a lung. Ugh.

Abbey

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I was a bit worried watching "The Tudors" last night when Queen Jane died of the "fever"!
I have a book that I read when I was Micro-biology called the "Coming Plague"! Great book if you like these kinds of things, history wise. Covers the Spanish Flu extensively.

They are starting to get a bit more pro-active here in Tucson. Really watching the border in Nogales. Checking for signs of sickness. If someone seems of looks sick they will test them.

Watching in the SD's, warnings about being down near the borders.
They are saying it has not reached us "Yet" but it likely will. That we need to be vary cautious and take precautions.

I just hope parents don't do the usual, "my kids are fine" and send them to school. That is when the problems get worse and these things really spread.

I am not too worried, can't do too much, but doing the things we always do with the extra precautions.

I just feel bad and hope it doesn't hit any one with compromised immune systems. I don't want it to get worse.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well..........Star, I may join you in that cave later. But I'm no where near worried yet.

But that said.........husband's job is over reacting more than a bit. hmph He had a 99 temp and the co nurse sent him home, company is taking no chances. Idiots. He'd probably already exposed everyone. sheesh

Jena

hi, hate to bring this back to life yet sharing info i think is good :)

So, it's gone global now, it's in europe, britian, canada... no fatalities as of yet, but they are stating that at anytime it can become that way.

difficult child's school talked it up yesterday regarding hand washing, etc. difficult child came home panicked.

they doubled the confirmed cases here in the u.s. also. hey, as long as it stays this way without going fatal it's all good. their stating if flu medications given within 48 hours of it they can combat it right now