MidwestMom, you sound like an awesome person. Our stories are very similar. All the partying with my son begins as soon as we fall asleep. I can't live this way. Too stressful. So nice to find people to share these stories with, who really understand. Thanks for sharing.

BusynMember

No problem. It was not a very good way to live. I used to get so scared I'd drive around at night stopping kids I knew and asking where my daughter was. When she no longer lived with me I did not worry in the same way because I didn't know what was going on. Plus the relative she was staying with was so strict I figured that if she didn't want to be homeless she would be forced to listen to his very strict rules and that's exactly what happened. We were all lucky that Daughter did not want to be homeless and was tired of playing with the druggies as well. I am very proud of her. Her story proves that anyone can quit. Heck, go to AA or NA...people tell their stories about quitting every night. People quit every single day.

I did go to Al-Anon and got a lot of help there. And I like Tough Love. Although I did not go to a Tough Love program, I read the books. I was not always able to actually do those recommended things the first time, but at least I got ideas.

I cried for three weeks after my daughter left. I missed her and loved her so, but she needed to get out of town in order to quit.

When my son left, all I felt was a big sigh of relief. He had been a threatening, vile force around the house for years, stealing, terrifying my daughter, lying, getting in my face, cussing in a way that made my daughter shake and run in her room, screaming at me and finally almost hitting me. It was no way to live. Not for him or my daughter or even for him. I often wonder if my daughter used drugs partly because of him, but she has said that wasn't it so I want to believe her.

I visited him in the various hotel dives he stayed at. I brought MacD's sometimes and talked to him. But, in my heart, I knew he could never live with me again. When he is stressed, he is dangerous. There is no other word that adequately describes it. It is sad because when he isn't stressed he is way different, but I believe he could put somebody in the hospital under stress. And he won't get help. Or claims he can't afford it (he makes a lot of money, but lots also goes for child support. Still, he has money to buy...a house...a new car...every top electronic known to man, including a 60 inch brand new television...oodles of toys for his son (he is very spoiled since he lives with my son half the time)...let's just say he doesn't consider therapy a priority.

Last edited:

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child stands for "gift from God", it is our child that brought us here:) easy child is the term we use for our other children that are not difficult children. It stands for "perfect child" even though we know they aren't!

2much2recover

If he can't get a lease because of his age, let him rent a room from someone. As many here will tell you, signing a lease for a difficult child usually means YOU will be stuck paying when/if difficult child changes his mind or just wants to screw with you and your money!

TerryJ2

OMGosh--"I don't know why you're talking about it--it's in the past." That's my son!
You've gotten some good ideas here.
He's got to get out of the drug scene.
And with his ambition and brains, he could have a future. Maybe he needs an antianxiety medication or an antidepressant or both. But with-o his cooperation, you won't find out. You've got to find out what he will respond to--who pays for his phone? His weed? Take away his tools and use money or the phone as a carrot and stick.
I feel for you. Don't give up on therapy.

I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have found this site. Thank you all for your comments.
TerryJ2, it's funny that you mentioned the anti-depressants...I have a pretty serious Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) (fixating, perfectionism) and it wasn't until my son was suspended from school for the first time - when i thought my world was collapsing - that I finally found an amazing psychiatrist (needle in a haystack) who prescribed a low dose of prozac (10mg). I cannot believe how difficult my life was before the medications. It's like I am a completely new person. How terribly sad it is for people who never get diagnosed and treated for these disorders. Anyway, I was thinking perhaps my son may benefit from something like prozac...I'm going to ask the psychiatrist.

TerryJ2, what would you mind sharing your story with your son? How old is he? How is he doing now? What did you do to help him? Is he conduct disorder?

BusynMember

I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have found this site. Thank you all for your comments.
TerryJ2, it's funny that you mentioned the anti-depressants...I have a pretty serious Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) (fixating, perfectionism) and it wasn't until my son was suspended from school for the first time - when i thought my world was collapsing - that I finally found an amazing psychiatrist (needle in a haystack) who prescribed a low dose of prozac (10mg). I cannot believe how difficult my life was before the medications. It's like I am a completely new person. How terribly sad it is for people who never get diagnosed and treated for these disorders. Anyway, I was thinking perhaps my son may benefit from something like prozac...I'm going to ask the psychiatrist.
Ditto, ditto, ditto!!!! Paroxatene (Paxil) gave me a life and the ability to be happier than I ever dreamed possible. It took time to find the right medication for me but it was and is magic for me.

Never give up.

But keep yourself and your other loved ones safe. If he is not safe toward all of you, then you have to think about what you want to do.

TerryJ2

Defiantchild,
We adopted our son when he was two days old.
We met the biomom when she was in the early stages of labor. She ate an entire plateful of spaghetti at Olive Garden. She already had one son who was a year old and really wanted us to meet him, so he sat in a high chair at the table. The grandmother was there, too.
They rifled us with questions.
We didn't find out what they were really like until after we had agreed to the adoption, and even then, when the mother and daughter argued so much they got kicked out of the adoption svc twice, we rationalized that they were under a lot of stress.
After many yrs we put 2 and 2 together and realized that the grandma is Aspie and the daughter is very mild Aspie.
I met the biodad, too. Talked to his mom a lot over the phone. He'd get a great job, rise to the top, and crash. Over and over. He's bipolar.
So ... after many meltdowns, rages, and on occasion, fearing for my life, and many, many doctors, difficult child is diagnosis'd with-Aspie lite and mood disorder not otherwise specified.

When he was a baby, he hardly slept. He ate constantly. He didn't babble. He screamed. It was a high-pitched screech that drove people nuts. I had to quit taking him out to eat with us. Sad, because his older sister, our bio-daughter, was soooo easy. Just add water, instant baby. :)
And he liked lots of physical pressure. It took me a long time to figure all this out. Family and friends said, "Oh, he's all boy!"
But I knew the instant I took him home that he was different.
We had dinner at a Chinese restaurant once and the waitress offered to hold him for us. Within 3 min. she exclaimed, "He like be hold tight!"
I was kind of jealous that she'd figured it out so fast, but relieved that she had noticed and didn't seem to mind.
When he was about 5, we'd have hugging contests and hug as tightly as we could until one of us was ready to pass out--usually me.
I learned a special scratching/rubbing/massage technique to use on his back (you can buy brushing tools) that would put him to sleep in less than 5 min. It was like a miracle.

He is two grade levels behind. He will be 18 in 3 wks, and is a Jr in HS. He has gone to summer school for math for 2 yrs. He tends to flunk math.
We've gone through 3 private schools and found that the public school system actually was the best thing. I butted heads with-my husband over that. He really wanted both of our kids in private schools. Also, he's a chiropractor and hates drugs. So we didn't give our son Adderall until I threatened to leave.

He loves animals. He used to be excellent at sports, but refuses to play them any more. "I already did that. I'm not doing it again." Very black-and-white thinking.

difficult child has a job at McDonald's and is very motivated to work there. He owes me thousands of dollars ... went through a drug spree a few yrs back and stole all my jewelry. He is very ADHD and impulsive, even with-medications, and tends to spend his paychecks the minute he gets them. Luckily, he uses automatic deposit so I can take $ directly from his account. He is giving me $20 per paycheck ... or is it per month? And it will never be paid off at this rate.

We sat down yesterday and had a family meeting. His behavior has been deplorable, particularly toward me. (Thank doG, husband finally realizes it.) difficult child wants a car for his birthday. Sigh. Last night he was friendly and polite, so I know he can do it.
He's had the same girlfriend for 2 yrs. She is a difficult child. Her mother is a difficult child. Most of their friends are g'sfg. I mean, I have to tell them to bathe, to lower their voices, to bring gifts to birthday parties, you name it. difficult child hates that I tell him "stupid things" in front of his friends, or tell them directly, but their parents don't tell them so they'll never know. I've learned that parenting a difficult child means that if they have any friends at all, they will also be g'sfg.
NOT what I signed up for.

Luckily, I'm an artist and occasional writer, so I have my own life. But some days, he sucks the life right out of me and I just go back to bed. :(

amelia d

Hope outweighs experience
Hi Difficult Child... I think it's very positive that your son has found a passion for cooking and is looking towards a career in that field. That should give you some hope that he has a goal that he can actually make a living from and enjoy what he's doing. Now the downside (and I know this because my daughter is a server in a popular bar/restaurant district); these places are a mecca for access to all sorts of drugs . Since your son is 16 and working in this environment, he is no doubt being exposed to this lifestyle. Very few restaurant workers become famous head chefs--you see a lot of 40 y/o bartenders and waitresses who are doing what they must to get by. My daughter told me the other night that she can get cocaine, molly, heroin; basically whatever she wants. It's that easy. It is human nature to be influenced by the surroundings you are in.
I have two suggestions that you may not have considered. The first is to speak with his manager. If he loves his job, its probably because he is impressed by his mentor, and wants/seeks his approval. This guy (girl?) may have the influence over him that you never will. Regardless of where he is living or if he gets his GED, culinary school requires discipline and attention to detail. That translates to focus and concentration; not to mention a pretty significant tuition bill. He needs to learn self-control to succeed in a program like that. My second thought is a request for a court appointed advocate to assist with options. Age 16 seems really young to have a kid live on his own; even the most responsible child. Your son doesn't sound all that responsible, and has not shown good decision making abilities yet. You haven't mentioned any legal issues with him (has he been arrested for possession or distribution?), so they may have options for group homes or halfway houses. He will hate them because they have very defined rules and restrictions, and he doesn't sound like the compliant type. He sounds like he wants what he wants, when he wants it, with whomever he chooses. That's not a good risk to sign a lease. Everyone on here is correct that you will bear the burden, both financially and legally for his bad decisions. Could you tender an agreement with him that if he gets his GED and respects you and your house rules, that you will cover the costs for his culinary school? Does he know what qualifications he needs to get accepted into culinary school?
Just some thoughts for you. I wish you luck and hope he starts to "get it".