Should we make yearly or annual get togethers?

mstang67chic

Going Green
I was thinking about this and about how we're all so spread out across the nation, continent and even the globe. I would love it if, even if it took a few years, I got to meet ALL of you. What would you guys think about doing this either yearly or annually and moving it to a different location each time? This way, it could possibly be close(er) to different member and those out of the country could plan ahead and maybe make it.

We could always have a brief "business meeting" of sorts next weekend and talk about it. At one of the family reunions I go to yearly, we do this to plan ahead a bit for the following year. Of course, we never change locations for this as we have a great (and free) location within the family but it's still put out there.

Just as an example, this year it's in Cleveland. Maybe next time we could have it further west like in ...I don't know....Colorado or something like that. If anyone is in the area we pick (or would even like to volunteer their area) and are willing, they could kind of be the "host" and scout out hotels, attractions, etc. We could also keep all of the information from each trip either in a note book or on disc and have someone be the record keeper or pass it on each time.

Thoughts?

klmno

YES!:D

I would love it! At least it could be approached every year and if enough people could make it and showed interest, it would be done. One thing I would recommend is taking a vote months ahead to establish the location and time of year. Some years are going to better than others for various people and it seems like that would maximize the amount of people that could meet.

I wish I could make it to Cleveland this year, but with the debt and the dogs, I can't.

KTMom91

I think it would be great! And I like the idea of choosing a different place. Of course, I'll have to fly anyway, unless everyone wants to come to California. But if we could rent a huge beach house...

mstang67chic

Going Green
See KtMom....that's the thing. We just MAY end up in Cali! The beach house thing sounds awesome! Friends of mine go to the Outer Banks in the Carolina's and do the same thing. They get a beach house, slightly off season, with 3 stories, a pool, either on the beach or across the street and stay with other couple and kids. It winds up being only 200 or so a person for an entire WEEK! Plus you have an entire house complete with full kitchen and don't have to eat out if you don't want.

M

ML

If we decide on Coloardo I will be honored to do the footwork and be the board host :)

Also, if it would help get more people here, I could put a few of you up with air mattresses and would also be willing to take a trip to the airport.

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I wonderful idea!! :D

It would give others a chance to make gatherings that are closer to them or easier for them to get to.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think that would be a lot of fun! I vote for dividing the country up into maybe 4 regions... or something like that. Next year could be some place in the western states. Or maybe the southeast?

I just don't think that we're allowed to make it any more formal than what we've already done this year, as far as affiliating ourselves with the board goes. I'm sure one of the mods can explain it better, but it's something to do with liability for Cheryl.

Fran

Former desparate mom
If Esther comes back to the US, I'll sponsor an all day picnic at my house in NC or at the beach in Texas. Which ever suits Esther's travel plans.
We did it when she came to the US the first time. I think we ended up with 10 or 12 members who came for dinner.

Estherfromjerusalem

Fran, the memories all came surging up when I read your post! It was such fun and I thank you, and I so enjoyed meeting all those "family" members (as well as your REAL family members, of course). That reminds me: has anyone heard from Coookie lately? She hasn't written in for ages. I hope she and her family are OK.

So, we are waiting for me to win the Lotto. Recently the prize just grew and grew, and I heard on today's news that a 90-year-old man in Tel Aviv just won 26 million shekels!!!! Oh well, I pray that my turn will be soon (yes, I DO buy a lotto ticket once or twice a week). As soon as I win, I will book my ticket, I promise. NC sounds great to me.

In the meantime, I am waiting to see pictures and read stories about Cleveland. How many of you are going? Of course, all of us who are not coming are quite green with envy. But one day it will be our turn.

I'm still waiting to host anyone who actually makes it to Israel on a tour. Just say the word, and I will round up Allen/Matlem and Chava, and we will have us a little reunion here!!

Love, from a green Esther

mstang67chic

Going Green
I like the region idea! Maybe we could hopscotch across the regions...east one year....west the other, north after that, then south, etc.

As for "official"......well, we just happen to ge a group of people who like to get together every so often and meet here to make plans. The notebook I mentioned was more to keep track of each trip's where, when, what, etc.

We can discuss it more here and in Cleveland. Now that we've planned a trip for this time of year, we can also decide if this is a good time or if we need to alternate that somewhat also. I know things come up that can't be predicted but at least we all will have a general idea of what works for us time wise.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
It's a good time of year for me since my kids are out of school. Less scheduling issues to worry about.

BusynMember

YESYESYESYES!!! I want to meet you and we can't afford to go this year, but next year may be a better year. Just please pleases dont make it in an overly pricey city!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
YES I'm so bummed about not going this year and meeting such a wonderful group. I would love to do it annually!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
The yearly unofficial CD get together sounds great. Different areas sound marvelous also. It will give some of us a chance an excuse to see new and different places.

crazymama30

I would love something that divides the country into 4 regions, like gcv mom said. If it was closer, Colorado or even Cali then I could maybe go. Flying across country is just not in the picture. Or we could go to Iowa, and I would drop husband and the kids with mother in law. (insert evil laughter)

BusynMember

This is really not that far from me (Cleveland) and I can't make it :sad-very:. I would rather have it regional, but not SO far West or South or East that some of us with less money couldn't afford to travel. I know California would be out for me, but Colorado...maybe not. Florida...probably out. Virginia...maybe. Boston, probably too far. I'm just one voice, I know, but making it more centrally located without always making it in the same place is my vote, if anyone understands me at all! :peaceful:
Remember that some cities are way more pricey all the way around then others are. Not everyone here is in a high income bracket. Hey, I'll have my trailer next year for camping!!!!! :D

M

ML

I get that MWM which is why I threw out the air mattress invite. That's also why I can't go until it's in the west. I too realize I am just one voice so I'll patiently wait till it's close which I'm sure it will be eventually.