Showdown at the OK Corale

H

HaoZi

We love puns here. And speaking of Asimov and humor, have you ever read his limericks? That man had a streak in him, lol!

Malika

I like the image of the serious, white-overalled scientists researching into how people laugh :) Humour is a great teaching tool, of course. When people laugh, they relax, and when they relax, they learn... Do you know "Fawlty Towers" in the States (John Cleese of the Monty Python team)? I used to use it with some higher-level students when I was teaching English (to foreign adults) - brilliant use of linguistic wit.
As for school - a misunderstanding, Marg! School starts here at age 3 and J has been going full-time to the village school here since we arrived a year ago. The small size and family atmosphere - total of 20 kids in his part of the school, 15 in the other building - is of course very good for him. The teacher, sympathetic and clearly very fond of J, is however very exacting and perfectionist; she expects a lot of the children, some would say too much. Depends on how you look at it, as ever - if one is into academic achievement, she is probably fantastic. If one is interested in a more holistic view of education, less fantastic...
Actually this is one of my ongoing and perpetual questions... Would J be better off in an alternative, more free-ranging and creative school, or in a highly-structured conventional one?
Any thoughts or experiences??