Sibling spacing may be tied to autism risk: study

Discussion in 'Parenting News' started by runawaybunny, Jan 10, 2011.

1. runawaybunny

runawaybunny Guest

Sibling spacing may be tied to autism risk: study - Reuters

A new study suggests that kids who are born only a year or two after an older sibling might be more likely to be diagnosed with autism than those with a bigger age gap.

The study does not prove that spacing children closer together causes autism in the second sibling, and Cheslack-Postava said there are many possible ways to explain the link - and that she "can't speculate as to what's the most likely."

"There's one possible explanation, (which) is that there is some biological factor" such as a mother's nutrient levels or stress that makes a second child more at risk for autism when siblings are closely spaced, Dr. Keely Cheslack-Postava, the study's lead author, from Columbia University, told Reuters Health.

The trend could, however, be explained by social factors, Cheslack-Postava said. Parents may be more likely to take a younger sibling to the doctor to be checked out for autism if they remember that only a year or two ago, when their older sibling was the same age, he or she was much farther along in development in certain areas.

2. HaoZi

HaoZi Guest

Interesting. It's based on full siblings, but I do have to wonder, since both kiddo and I have the traits, she is the youngest of her father's children (so far as I know and by about a month), and rumor has it (will never be verified) that I also have an older half-sibling by my bio-dad.