Sick Dogs....

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Two of them!

One dog's got it coming out one end - and the other dog has it coming out the other!
YUCK!

I spent yesterday cleaning up vomit from one...then that dog seemed to be feeling better as we went to bed. Good. Great.

Was awakened at 5 am by the other dog - who just had to go right then....only to find out that he had evidently "gone" several hours before as the carpet was covered with dried doo in various forms - some nastier than others. UGH!

So here I sit at the computer with two very lethargic and pathetic looking dogs at my feet who every so often have to be rushed out the back door.

And on top of that - it's raining. So each time they come in, I have to clean up muddy feet and muddy footprints. Argh!

Some days my dogs give me less of the "warm fuzzies" than others...

donna723

You could try feeding them just boiled chicken and rice (no salt or seasonings) for a few days because it's very easily digested and that's what's usually recommended for stomach problems. If they've just come down with some type of "stomach bug" it should pass quickly. You also want to make sure that that they don't get dehydrated because that can be very dangerous so make sure they're drinking enough water. If they're not better in a day or so though, I'd get them to the vet to be checked ... and be prepared to bring in "samples" to be tested. There's all kinds of things that it could be, parasites or various intestinal diseases, that won't get better on their own and you don't want to wait too long.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
You could try feeding them just boiled chicken and rice (no salt or seasonings) for a few days because it's very easily digested and that's what's usually recommended for stomach problems. If they've just come down with some type of "stomach bug" it should pass quickly. You also want to make sure that that they don't get dehydrated because that can be very dangerous so make sure they're drinking enough water. If they're not better in a day or so though, I'd get them to the vet to be checked ... and be prepared to bring in "samples" to be tested. There's all kinds of things that it could be, parasites or various intestinal diseases, that won't get better on their own and you don't want to wait too long.

Thanks for the tip!

Yes--I've got to give it a few days.

The one dog suffers from colitis - so he will get an upset stomache from the least little thing.

And the other dog? She's such a scavenger! It was a really nice weekend - so the dogs were out in the yard alot....and she was digging....hunting...trying stuff... She might have gotten into the garbage or something. Who knows?

So I have to wait and see if this is their "usual" or something more. The fact that they are both sick in different ways makes me think it's more of "coincindental" stomache upset (as in one got into the garbage and one is having a flare) rather than something more serious.

donna723

You'll want to watch them very closely if there's any chance they got in the garbage because most people have things in their garbage cans (like plastic bags) that can cause intestinal blockages in dogs, and that's always an emergency. You haven't changed their food recently, have you? Also, too much of certain types of "people food" can make them sick too.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Good news this morning!

Both dogs slept all night - which means *I* got to sleep all night - yay!!!

And they both awoke bright-eyed and waggy-tailed. So they seem to be improved...

Thank goodness! I have had MORE than my share of mess the past couple days.

Glad your doggies are feeling better. Oh how stressful it is when the dogs are making messes when they're sick. Last time that happened to me, one of mine had swallowed a marble, which we only found out after multiple courses of that whitish barium-like liquid the vet gives for upset stomach, and some antibiotics. Then she had to have a $$$ surgery to remove the marble. The rugs were never the same :~(