Sick furbaby

Californiablonde

Our cat Lily has been having health problems and I am worried. The main problem is a mass that difficult child found growing under her stomach. It feels like some sort of tumor. She doesn't act like she's in pain but she has been having other symtoms as well. She has a bunch of scabs all over her body. At first I thought it was due to flees. I bought her some advantage and that seemed to help with the flee probles but the scabs are still there. She is constantly scratching at them and making them bleed. She has a huge appetite and is eating well but she is getting skinnier and skinnier by the day. Also she is losing fur on her lower back. I am worried it's cancer. I am going to go online today and see about finding a cheap animal clinic to take her to. My mom's neighbor had a dog that had cancer and he spent a bunch of money on chemo and treatments but the dog still died. So I am worried about the same thing happening to Lily. She is only a year old but I know cancer can happen at any age. So if you could please keep us in your prayers and send good thoughts our way I would much appreciate it. If we lost Lily it would really devastate difficult child.

Californiablonde

Thank you all. I found a vet that charges $27 for the initial visit so I will be taking her there on Saturday. Hopefully it's something not too serious and it's treatable.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
This could be any number of things; many of them nasty. You MUST get this cat into a vet, if only for a diagnosis. The scabs could be anything from an allergy to a skin infection. The mass must be evaluated by a vet and most likely biopsied. If you cannot afford vet care the kindest thing may be to put her down.

I'm going to be very harsh here and will probably get a nastygram from a moderator. Providing proper veterinary care is part and parcel of taking on the responsibility of pet ownership.

I only have two cats, both of whom are covered by "medical" insurance because while I can afford to feed and provide normal household care to more pets, I cannot afford the potential veterinary costs that may be involved in taking on any more living beings that I would be responsible for.

I hope all works out with Lily for the best, but you do have to get her into the vet. Keep us posted

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
There's a number of things (or combination of things) it could be, and getting her to the vet ASAP is the only way to know and care for her. I hope she's an inside only cat - if not, she needs to be, especially right now. Inside cats typically live far longer than outside or inside/outside cats.
*Hoping the best for Lily!

Californiablonde

Yes she is an indoor cat only. I never let any of the cats I have owned go outside. Too dangerous. I already stated I was taking her to the vet so I don't get Goingnorth's response.

Kathy813

Staff member
CB, I think Going North was suggesting that you shouldn't wait until Saturday. That is a long time to wait if there is something seriously wrong with your kitty.

~Kathy

Californiablonde

Okay makes sense now. Thanks Goingnorth. And vet says if she is eating and drinking fine then waiting till Saturday is okay. And thankfully she doesn't seem to be in any pain.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
My cat used to get scabs like that, she had a flea allergy. Be sure you've not only gotten rid of the fleas on her, but also treated your apartment to prevent re-infestation. She may need some prednisone to clear up the skin lesions.

Californiablonde

I just gave her a dose of advantage right before I moved so I am hoping no fleas transferred. I also bombed my old apartment about a month ago.