Sick little kitty

Californiablonde

The kitten I just adopted from a coworker is having issues. She cries whenever she poops and now there is blood and pus coming out of her bottom. Other than that she is very playful and full of energy. I am going to take her to the vet tomorrow. The cat is a Manx (no tail) and I just read up online that some Manx cats can have a lot of health problems. Something I didn't know until now. There is also a fatal disease they can get called Manx syndrome and it usually shows up before four months of age. My kitten is approximately six weeks old. Now I am nervous she may have it or continue to have other health problems. Even though we have only had her for about a week, we have all gotten attached to her. Our older cat Lily, who used to hate her, is now her best buddy. She cleans her and looks out after her and plays with her. The kitten sleeps with difficult child on her pillow every night. I am hoping for the best and I pray this kitten is healthy. So any prayers or good thoughts right now would be greatly appreciated.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Poor kitty! Has she ever been wormed? Considering her age, I'm thinking she might not have been. I hope it's something simple and easily fixed. Have you checked her stool for worms?

Californiablonde

I haven't seen any worms. I forgot to add that it looks like her rectum is really swollen too. I am hoping it's nothing that needs surgery. I don't know if I would even be able to afford it. The kitten was found in a box in front of an office building a few weeks ago. She was all wet and her eyes were still sealed shut. My coworkers son found her and bottle fed her until she was old enough to eat on her own. I should have thought things through a bit before I decided to take her in. I have always had really good luck with my other cats and none of them have ever had any serious health problems. I never even considered this one might have serious issues. I really hope she doesn't. We have all gotten very attached to her already. Another lady at my work was going to take her but she said since the cat was missing a tail she was too grossed out by it and didn't want her. So I felt bad and took her in. Hopefully we get to keep her.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Most likely it's worms. Although I agree it is best she be checked by a vet to be certain and treated.

That usually is the issue with young pups too. Since she doesn't appear ill in any other way.......that is what my guess would be.

Saying a prayer little kitty feels better.

Mattsmom277

Because of cost, if you could buy dewormer over the counter tomorrow first thing, it's worth a day or two (providing she will eat, drink, and has energy and doesn't grow worse over the day or two) to see if worms come out. You likely wouldn't see worms, because she hasn't been dewormed. The blood etc from her bottom, again, not a vet here and I'm all about take thy pet to the vet when possible at any cost (unless impossible but that breaks my heart). I'm also a realist and know that some things that could easily rule out something scary, can be done safely provided the pet isn't in a dire situation and you don't wait long to see results and if you don't, get to a vet.

Having said that, I once had a springer spaniel Jake. LOVED that furry beastie. My now ex (easy child's bio father) wasn't a great guy. He refused me going to the vet with Jake when Jake had small rectal bleeding, problems with bowels. I was horrified. I was helpless, he controlled all money at that time. I had no power to go to a vet. A couple up the road greeted us from their porch twice a day and loved my dog. They said hi on a walk by and asked how Jake was, I burst into sobs, having just had a blowout fight and stormed out for the walk, over the topic of the desperate need for the vet. They were all over me, asking what is wrong, I explained my problem. I mentioned I may have to give the dog to the humane society just so that a vet can treat, but it's cruel for my dog to not see a vet. They offered, because they worshiped my dog, to adopt him and take him to a vet. One last night home, and I surrendered him to them for his medical needs to get met. Worst day ever. Avoided their house for weeks out of heart ache. They prance by one night with my loved Jake happy as heck. I ask how it turned out. It was a in/out appointment at the vet. A simple allergy to his food. Switched food, problem GONE. Gosh if anybody had even suggested it I'd have tried it and still had my beautiful pet. Perhaps while waiting a day or two for dewormer to kick in, try changing kitties food. Remember so young, their bodies don't always handle real food well yet and aren't experienced with what makes them sick or not (Well, you the owner I mean). It can't hurt to try, maybe your little manx buddy will end up all well and good, without the vet.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Soooooooooooo

Not having done kittens before and now having 3 in my bathroom.............

When does one worm kittens? I know when with puppies........because I've done it a couple of times. But not kittens. And I want these babies off to as good a start as I can give them.

CB 2 of my babies had gook in their eyes......looked sort of bad. It's often an indication of a respiratory infection that does have the potential to kill if left untreated.....and treatment isn't costly. Yet at the moment I'm pinching every penny to see if it will reproduce so, yeah. Seems that it might be a good thing I waited to call the vet. Midnight groomed them and they look great......bright eyed and bushy tailed. No sign of gook. So it might have been from sleeping in the old straw. Know what I mean?? If the gook becomes a problem........then I'll get the antibiotic drops for them.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
One old home remedy for gunky eyes in kittens (once they've opened them that is!) is good ole original formula Visine. If that doesn't clear it up, then something else is wrong, but many times it does the trick when it's simple things like blocked tear ducts, etc.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks HaoZi! I'll give it a try. I have quite a bit of that around the house. :)

CB how is your kitten doing today?

Californiablonde

Well I took her to the vet on Saturday. The vet checked her out and said it's probably round worms. He gave her a shot and some ointment to put on her bottom since it's inflamed and swollen. He also sent a fecal specimen to the lab to make sure it's nothing more serious. The vet's office just called me this morning and said the culture is negative. The lady told me she could still have round worms even though the test was negative so I need to bring her in for a second shot in two weeks and she will also get her first set of vaccinations then. Other than the worms, Mandy is totally healthy. The whole visit with the exam, shots, and medicine cost me $98. I expected to have to spend around a hundred dollars so I'm not totally surprised. It will cost me less at her next visit because she will only be getting her shots and no exam. Other than her crying when she poops she seems to be feeling well. She has plenty of energy and loves to play. She has adapted to our home rather well. The only other issue we have with her right now is that she is not using the litter box. I joined a cat group on Facebook and asked for some advice. I was told to change the litter to unscented non clumping litter so I am hoping that helps. I really have become attached to her. She's such a doll.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Eh... you still want clumping litter, believe me. And likely the reason she's not using it has to do with her not feeling well. Possible she doesn't like smell or texture, but most cats prefer whatever they use first, and if you change it, your older cat might stop using it, and then what are you going to do?

I use the Breeze system for my cat, love it to death. The liquid stuff goes through to a tray underneath that catches it in pads you change, and the solids stay above and get dried out by the litter and you scoop those. The only time I smell anything is when I change the pads or right after my cat poops. It costs about $30 to buy it at first, but the monthly costs after that are the same as buying any other litter.

Californiablonde

I bought her her own litter box on Friday. It's a much smaller one than our other one and she can get in and out of it really easy. Placed her in there a couple of times to show her but she had no interest. She pooped on the floor several hours later so I put her waste into the new litter box then put her back in the box. That didn't work either. Now Lily has decided she wants to use the little box instead of the big one. I have had multiple cats in the past and never had this problem before. I don't know what else to do to get her to use the litter.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Is she only pooping outside the box, or peeing outside it too? Is she showing a preference for Lily's box? Is there a particular place she prefers? She might prefer Lily's litter, or might not like where the box is, or might be having poop problems and take to using the box when she's feeling better if she's using it to pee. Try putting it somewhere that is out of the main traffic area where she has privacy but is easy for her to access but you can keep Lily away from it when she's wanting it. Try catching her when she goes to poop - she might know to pee in it but not to poop, if it's not because she's hurting.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
How large is the grain of the litter? Large grain or fine? Some kitties have preferences and prefer a finer grain. If you just changed her litter to a different kind, expect an adjustment period as well.

Californiablonde

I have never caught her peeing outside the box but I'm assuming she is. I have never caught her using the litter box at all so I think she's also peeing around the place but I haven't actually seen her do it. I have tried leaving the litter box in the livingroom and I recently moved it into the bedroom. She still won't use it. The litter I am using is about medium grain. There is a box she loves to play in so maybe I should try putting litter in there and see how she does. When she was living in my coworker's son's home she was pooping in the same box that he found her in. He never tried to train her to use a litter box.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
If she's not already pooping in her play box don't ruin it for her - cats need a place to play and hide.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
Basically one shouldn't need to train a cat, they pretty much come that way :S

Sickness can cause them to not use the box. Dislike of particular litter, being chased out by other cats, not feeling safe/secure by placement of the box, emotional insecurity, etc., can cause them to use other places as well. Make sure you have removed ALL smell from where she soiled the carpet, too.

Generally the mother trains them to the box, sand, whatever. Since this wasn't done (maybe), you'll have to be diligent and catch her. I've had a cat like this that was a stray, and only had to catch outside the box once while he peeing, pick him up during, and place him in the box. No punishment, no words, nada. Pick and place during, he got the idea, never had another problem.