**Sigh** . . . So, it's official

T

TeDo

I have two Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids in the house. I kind of knew it but it has never been "official". therapist (Ph.D. psychologist) shared her findings with easy child/difficult child and me today. difficult child 2 (formerly easy child/difficult child) "presents with several indicators of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), namely . . . . . and does not meet the diagnostic threshhold for even an Asperger's diagnosis. At this time, difficult child 2 can be confidently diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified as well as the initial diagnosis of Adjustment Disorder .......".

That made sense to me but it was hard to hear my suspicions made official. Then I asked her "is there any diagnosis that explains why, in the last 1-2 months, both of my boys seem to be "regressing" at an almost daily rate?" Her response was, with a grin and a nod, "yes. It's called puberty." Gotta love her. She also informed me that my gray hairs will multiply and I might even go bald on occasion. She IS funny but I almost felt disheartened that things might not get much better anytime soon. She is going to refer difficult child 2 to county human services for social skills services and maybe even some respite for me. Yay?!?

Kind of a mixed bag so why do I feel so .... I don't know...... sad?

keista

Kind of a mixed bag so why do I feel so .... I don't know...... sad?
:consoling: Well, because although you already *knew* you were still hoping that you were wrong.

Believe it or not, there is "the other side" of puberty when things often DO get better.

by the way I hope easy child/difficult child is not now difficult child 2 just because of the official diagnosis.

T

TeDo

Keista, no. The change is because his behavior is becoming more and more difficult child and it wasn't until now that I had the ..... guts isn't the right word.... oh well..... to change it. He used to be much more easy child but this puberty thing is throwing more of that out the window and I guess I was kinda hoping.... Know what I mean??

InsaneCdn

Well... if the puberty thing is anything like what we've seen - and anything like the last principal at the highschool has seen (he's old and experienced) the worst of it is 12, 13 and 14. By the time they start rounding to 15, they are getting used to the hormones, and the levels are balancing out a bit.

Not that it's a piece of cake after that... but the worst of the worst is past.

For example, that principal said: 80% of the problems they have to deal with in high school, are GRADE 9s, and 80% of the rest of the problems are GRADE 10s.

So, on that front - you're half way past the puberty spike.

{{hugs}}

TerryJ2

"is there any diagnosis that explains why, in the last 1-2 months, both of my boys seem to be "regressing" at an almost daily rate?" Her response was, with a grin and a nod, "yes. It's called puberty."

I love her! Any therapist or psychiatrist with-o a sense of humor is disqualified, in my book.

So sorry you're sad. I know the feeling. But at the time we got the diagnosis, I was battling ideas about schizoaffective disorder and sociopath, so I was a bit relieved ... my imagination gets away with-me sometimes.

Many hugs. :consoling:

buddy

Why sad? in my humble opinion because it's sad. No matter how used to it or prepared it is a bummer. Loss of the easy child dream. W as for me anyway.
So sorry ur mommy heart is hurting.

InsaneCdn

Terry -
I don't know which traits in particular they were seeing... but in the long run, it might not even be Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified.
We had the same phrasing.
Turns out... the combination of ADHD and Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD) and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) actually covers the bases (for THOSE behaviors... there's more issues for our difficult child than just those).
The difference is that there are specific things that you can do to really help these dxes... and many of these kids grow "enough" in their thinking that in the long run, the dxes will be minimized - the kid will have to remember, as an adult, to allow for and ask for accommodations, but... able to live a "normal" life.

Don't take the diagnosis as final.
Wherever they get to by age 25 is a better indicator...!

DammitJanet

How true on the 25. I was a real doubter about the temper dysregulation disorder but I really do now think it exists and I think that is what Cory had along with ADHD. I think he outgrew the TDD by 24 and he still has the ADHD. I do think that some kids can have bipolar because I think I was bipolar as a child.

You asked if there was anything to cure your hair falling out, yes...Biotin forte and if that doesnt help enough, go to the dermatologist and get cortisone shots in your scalp. Thats what I had to do.