Simple apple pie recipe

Lothlorien

I made this and family liked it. I had to make it again yesterday...very simple. We went apple picking last week. They didn't have Granny Smith, but I think the ones that I used might have been Jonagold. We get great apples in NJ.

Pillsbury refrigerated crusts 2
About 6 to 8 apples
1 cup of granulated sugar
3 tbsp of flour
1 tbsp of cinnamon
1/2 tbsp of cardamom
1 tbsp of lemon
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1/2 stick of butter cut up into small pieces
dash of salt

Cook the first pie shell to directions on pkg. Let cool.
Peel apples and cut into thin slices
add lemon and vanilla to apples
mix dry ingredients together and then mix with apples.
Pour mixture into cooled pie shell.
lay butter pats on top evenly spread.
Add 2nd pie shell on top and cut several small slits
Cook at 400 for 35 to 40 minutes.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My recipe's simpler...

1. Get direction's to Loth's house...
2. Pack my fork... (Abbey, you can use a spork)
3. Pick up a few CD friends along the way...
4. Knock politely on her door, then let ourselves in...
5. Follow our noses to the kitchen and ENJOY! :D

gcvmom

Here we go again!
:tongue: Yeah, well I figure if I show up with a dozen or so CD moms, you'll cave and whip up another pie or three JUST for US!
:thanksgiving1:
Marcie can bring her butt-kickin' Guatemalan coffee and we'll have a pah-tay!
:coffee:
Man, I LOVE apple pie. I've got some frozen pie crust... husband just bought some Granny Smith's... okay, I think I feel some inspiration beading up on my forehead -- oh wait, that's perspiration! That's what happens when the oven's preheating...​

muttmeister

I tried a new apple pe recipe last week that was wonderfully different. I have rosemary in my herb garden and it had rosemary in it. It had a special pastry recipe with 1/2 teaspoon finely snipped rosemary leaves in it. I made the recipe but it was just like any other pastry so next time I will just make the one I always make and add the rosemary. You could buy a mix and add the rosemary to that too. For the filling you start by making rosemary syrup.
In the microwave, on high cook for 2 minutes:
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
2 large sprigs fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
Let stand 30 minutes and then discard rosemary.

Combine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon finely snipped rosemary

Combine
6 cups peeled sliced Granny Smith apples
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Add brown sugar mixture
Also add 3 Tablespoons whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Rosemary syrup (above)

In large skillet, melt 1/4 cup butter.
Add apple mixture and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. It makes a kind of caramel type sauce on the apples.

Put apples in pie shell. Brush top crust with whipping cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 375 about 25 minutes.

I'll make it again; it was good.

donna723

Loth, I've never heard of making a pie like that, where you completely bake the bottom crust, then add the filling and top crust and bake it some more. How does that work out? Does the bottom not get too brown before the filling is completely cooked and the top is browned? How do you stick the raw dough for the top crust to the baked crust on the bottom?

When I bake two-crust pies I always use glass pie pans and start them out at about 400-425 for the first 10 minutes or so, then turn it way down to about 325 and let it bake very slowly until I'm sure the bottom crust is completely baked.

Lothlorien

Donna, It came out perfect both times. That's what the directions on the package said for filled pies. I'm a cook, not a baker, so I do the shortcut stuff for baking. I still make it my own, but can't be bothered with all that measuring and rolling and kneeding....not for me.

As far as sticking the second pie on.. well I use stoneware and just did my best. It was okay.

donna723

Ha! Unless Pillsbury goes out of business and all the grocery stores close down, I will never make homemade pie crust again! What a mess! And a lot of times the pre-made ones are better than homemade anyway. We have a store brand that I tried and it's actually a lot better and a dollar cheaper than the brand name ones!

muttmeister

I absolutely detest the premade pie crusts; they are like eating cardboard. I make good, old-fashioned pie crust out of flour, salt, lard, and water and I always get compliments. The real secret is to not mix it too much and use a well-floured pastry cloth and a stocking on your rolling pin to roll it out. I can throw a pie crust together in less than 5 minutes. I guess it all comes from practice. I'd rather not have pie than have to eat one of those awful store bought things.