Simply amazing

Wiped Out

Staff member
I didn't post this earlier in the week because I didn't want to jinx things. difficult child started a day camp on Monday. He has done this camp before and they know him very well. They have always worked well with him. We picked him up on Monday and they said he had a great day, same thing for the rest of the week. Thursdays at this camp are a sleep-over (they go to a state park). We picked him up today and they said he had an incredible week. They were super impressed with him. Hard to believe, but they also said he had 0 behavior issues (at least it is super hard for me to believe). They said he was cracking kids up, appropriately and was hanging out with a couple of other guys.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a big part of it was how excitedly the counselors greeted difficult child. Also, when they introduced him to the new counselor they told her difficult child was the senior person and could tell her how things were done. We left him that first day grinning ear to ear.

Wish I could say we were seeing the same stuff at home-FAR from it but that's for another post that I am not sure I'm ready to write up. Right now I just want to enjoy that he a great week in some environment!

keista

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! So wonderful that things went well at camp.

If things were going well at home too, then you'd spend all your time worrying when the other shoe would fall. Enjoy this.

Malika

That's really fantastic, Wiped Out. Could it also have been to do with the fact that he was somehow "in his element", in an environment where he wasn't going to fail or lag behind and where he was outdoors doing interesting/stimulating things? Just guessing here... :)

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon, I'm tickled pink for you. What a wonderful week for difficult child.

Like you, I'd be doubting it. Then I'd be wondering why not at home.

Congrats to difficult child for all his good choices & behaviors at camp. Give difficult child a hug from this cyber auntie.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

I bet the "senior" comment was really an important piece of the difficult child puzzle - the week began with someone giving him confidence and him realizing he had an allie. Sometimes knowing someone believes in you can really pull it out of our kids. I know it works with my difficult child.

Now, as to how to handle the behavior at home - can you relate the comments of the counselors about how helpful he was and how his behavior was an example to the other campers........and then tell him how proud you were of him - perhaps then you can end with, "why do you think your behavior gets worse when you come home?"

It will be interesting to hear what he has to say.....

Glad, Sharon, that you had the week of pride in difficult child!

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks everyone!! It truly was a moment to be proud of difficult child! We'll see how he does next week. It's basketball camp and unfortunately our temps are supposed to be in the high nineties with high humidity. We even have a heat watch. They are predicting our temps to feel like 105-111. Of course, the gym isn't air conditioned!!

M

ML

Woo hooo!! What a great update. Way to go difficult child. It's nice to know they have it in them.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Great news that difficult child did so well. I do think how people approach our difficult child's helps set the tone.