Since the topic came up, do you feel you were too harsh with your child as a child?

BusynMember

To LucyJ (I just read your post): I am sooooooooo sorry, sweetie, and I have hated many a Mother's Days. I have wished they didn't even have it. It seemed just plain empty the years after Scott left and did not even acknowledge Mother's Day, as a confirmation that he did not think I was his mother. It hurt terribly and even the other kids could not wipe out the hurt until I was done grieving and ready to move on. Our children have a very strong effect on us and Mothers Day is really nice when things are going well, but really brutal when they are not.

Gentle hugs.

nlj

Thanks MWM and ALb. I am having a better day today. A lovely mother's day parcel arrived from my 30 year old daughter about an hour ago, (a day late thanks to our hopeless post), but actually it's better that it came today as I was a mess yesterday. So I am taking my own advice and concentrating on all the good things in my life (and eating lots of chocolates). :)

SuZir

If wishes were horses, everyone would ride.

Nah, if wishes were horses everyone would be bankrupt by trying to feed those armies of horses they had.

I too of course wish we would have done things differently. And feel guilty for the more and less grave mistakes we did make. While I don't want to sugar coat the errors we made, or try to talk myself out from that guilt, it is just something I have to face and live with. And to appreciate those things we did get right. And be thankful we have a kid who is quite willing to forgive to those he loves, even though I would wish he would be more willing to forgive himself instead.

But again, if wishes were horses, I would had run out of room and horse feed long, long time ago.

Childofmine

one day at a time
I was not too harsh although I yelled too much as things started to unravel. My ex-husband (their dad) and I raised them together in the same house (very American family, sitting down to dinner, chores, church every Sunday, both boys were acolytes, rules/curfews/expectations). I work out of my home so I was around all the time. Both boys had part-time jobs from the time they were 16. We got them used cars to go to school and sports and work. Both played sports in h.s., one hockey and the other soccer.

easy child played too many video games and so did difficult child. I felt I was in a constant battle with video games and the games always won. Looking back, I wish I had been more deliberate in limiting them and taking them away.

My ex-husband's alcoholism began progressing (noticeably) with depression, irritability, impatience, unhappiness, etc. the last 10 years of our marriage and then even more the last three years. He was hospitalized once and then went to IOP. He got clean and sober and then...got addicted (in my view at the time) to AA. A year after his sobriety I was still completely miserable and thinking this was the way it was always going to be and I was sick and tired.

My exhusband would spent dinners at the table focusing on their table manners. Now, they needed to improve on that, so as I would tell my ex, I have no trouble with what you are saying but how you are saying it. He would harp and harp and harp until the point all of us were miserable with just being there.

My boys had two very controlling parents. And I know now that is not good.

Both of my sons are Adult Children of an Alcoholic and all that comes with that, even though my ex-husband was extremely high functioning, had an executive position, got raises and promotions, etc. and did not drink every day. He was a closet binge drinker. The actual alcohol wasn't apparent but the behavior certainly was. He was a miserable person inside.

I tried to be both parents (perfect parents) for a long long time. Of course, I failed miserably. I thought there was a certain way a family was supposed to be and I danced as fast as I could to make it happen.

I wish I had let difficult child fall flat on his face much earlier than I did. In h.s. I would literally pull him out of the bed (him, much taller and bigger than me) to get him in the shower to go to school. He "couldn't hear the alarm clock." I would run interference at h.s. for him regarding homework, lack of trying in class, etc. I talked and talked and talked and reasoned and explained and stomped out and yelled, trying to get through to him. We bought three alarm clocks (can you even believe that?) because he said he couldn't hear one and so he would set three to get up. His room was a wreck.

Little by little I gave up the good fight and started picking my battles with him. I kept thinking, this time, this time, will be the turning point.

Who even knows what he was really doing all through h.s.? I know a few years back he was very angry at us because we were "too strict and he never had any fun at all, so now I'm going to have fun."

We had regular curfews on weekends and home in bed on weeknights to get ready for school. He could go places with friends and stay out later on weekend nights.

In the last four years the craziness has been much more crazy with difficult child. At one point he said he couldn't sleep so I was going to have him tested for sleep apnea (I was convinced that was his problem) as his dad and I both have it. He finally went for the sleep test and left AMA during the overnight test. Later they told me he was completely uncooperative and spent the entire night texting his girlfriend.

I set up appointments with psychologists and counselors and would go to his dad's or his apartment to pick him up to take him and he either wouldn't answer the door, wouldn't be there or wouldn't go. After he had agreed to go.

On and on and on, I did things for him that he should have done for himself. I pulled and pushed and tugged and was... By Golly, going to make it happen or die trying.

Almost did (inside). Die trying.

I have been a very good mom. My mom was/is a very good mom. She didn't over control me like I did them.

In Al-Anon I hear lots of people struggle with guilt. I honestly don't feel that kind of guilt except for pushing too hard for them to conform to my idea of success.

Is some of difficult child's "stuff" reacting to his upbringing? Yes, I am sure that it is. I believe most of it is his own biochemistry.

Echolette

This is an amazing thread. I almost "cut and pasted" almost every post to say "me too! I did that too! I felt that too! and difficult child (or ex hubby) did that too".

Even when the posts were diametrically opposite.

difficult child is a twin. He was harder IN THE WOMB. With twins you have to have nonstress testing starting at 30 weeks to be sure they are growing...they can't just measure your belly, cause one might be growing and the other not. easy child twin would pass in about 7 minutes (they have 20). difficult child would fail every time and I had to go on to ultrasound, add on appointment, wait for hours. Every week.

He had trouble nursing. Had trouble self soothing. Talked late. Poor fine motor. No handedness. She rocketed forward full of determination to grow up.

We loved him tons, he was so cute and happy and kind of dorky. We started speech therapy at 2, occupational therapy at 3. Maybe we made him feel he was not "OK". But he also seemed to like the attention of earnest young women who seem to make up the population of therapists.

At some point he became annoying...he was like the lightening rod. If ANYone was getting on our nerves difficult child would escalate and he would be the one yelled at. A lot of yelling...one of my younger easy child's says that he hallucninates the sound of yelling in another room when he has a fever. My daughter says her memories of childhood are marked by us yelling at difficult child in the mornings (he was impossible to get up and out of bed and off to school--and we both worked, so we would be desperate about being late ourselves, and desperate and guilty about not having a pleasant send off for the others).

Therapy IEPs family vacations family dinners. Yelling at the dinner table, yelling in the morning, yelling over homework. He and I got season sports tkts together and went to every game. His dad took him for bike rides and pancakes every Saturday. What hurt and what helped? I certainly did absolutely everything I could think of to help him.

I wish I hadn't yelled so much.

And I hit him and grabbed him and once pulled his hair sometimes too. I am very very very ashamed of those times.

Did he do it to me or did I do it to him?

Yes, I was too hard on him

Echo

layne

Yes, at times I was too harsh with my difficult child. I suffered from bipolar and she had to deal a lot with that dysfunction. I treated her badly sometimes as in yelling at her too much, i'm going to be honest about that. I was a teen mother and was no where near equip to raise a child properly. Taking care of a baby is easier than actually raising a child. Even though I took care of her well, I had no idea what I was doing in the child rearing department. However I did do my best. I at least always apologized to her and made up for the mistreatment. Something I never got from my parents. My daughter had a rough childhood for sure, but I did try my absolute best, I really did, it was just never good enough.