Sitting in the living room, listening to

witzend

husband snore from our soundproofed bedroom. I didn't even realize he had gone to bed until I heard the snoring start. Let me qualify this post by prefacing this with the fact that he's

• Had three sleep studies and does not have sleep apnea therefore does not qualify for a BiPap machine or any type of sleep aid.
  • Had two Septoplasties. (Corrected his deviated septum.)
  • Had uvuloplasty. (Had his uvula and most of his soft palate surgically removed.)
  • Uses Breatheright strips every night.
  • Uses prescription nasal spray every night
  • Uses throat "snore-stopper" spray.
This man snores when he swears he's awake. He snores no matter what position he's in, even when he's sleeping on his stomach. He is about 30 pounds overweight. Nothing big, considering.

I'm exhausted. It's better sometimes than others, and right now it's really bad. He's been doing this all night long for a couple of weeks. I sleep with earplugs and have for 20 years. I use white noise, but that doesn't do the trick. It's getting to where I dread going to bed because I know it's going to be an hour or so of poking him. Then I'll be woken up 4 or 5 times a night - or more - until he leaves for work in the morning.

Seriously, if someone knows of something we haven't tried, I'd love to know. Other than seperate rooms. It would break his heart, and I wouldn't like it much either. It's getting to where I dread going to bed because it seems like a losing battle.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
My ex used to sleep like that but he was finally diagnosed with sleep apnea (after we split). He would snore and flop around the bed all night long. It was even worse if he'd been drinking. It's probably partly why I've never been a good sleeper myself- too many years exposed to lousy sleeping.

No ideas that you haven't tried but you have my sympathies.

Suz

busywend

Ugh! I do not know of anything other than the things you mentioned that are responsible for snoring. I say start researching what else could cause snoring. Has he tried sleeping on an incline?

klmno

Geez....it sounds like neither one of you can possibly get a good night's sleep. I don't know the answer either but wonder if the dr's are aware that this is still a big problem.

Lothlorien

Separate bedrooms? My great-grandparents had separate rooms as long as any of us could remember and they were married over 50 years. My great grandma said it was because he snored....so as soon as the older kids moved out and a bedroom was free, she moved him out.

maril

So sorry for you. :bloodshot:

Your husband has had a lot of angles covered; what about swollen adenoids? Maybe that is why he is using the nasal spray? I am assuming you meant a nasal steroid spray.

lmf64

Does he still have his tonsils and adenoids? I know you said he had most of his soft palate removed, but I'm not really sure whats included in the soft palate. My son used to snore so loudly it would wake me up. When he was 5 months I had to take the baby monitor out of his room just so I could get some sleep. He snored from day one. I used to have video of him in the hospital less that 12 hours old and you could hear him snoring across the room. Well, this winter he had a second sleep study at which time they scared the bejeesus out of me. He woke 17 times an hour, 9 times because he would stop breathing. They wanted his tonsils and adenoids out and another sleep study done. Well, the repeat sleep study was done last week. He's down to 1 period of apnea an hour, but will be on a cpap machine as soon as they get the right machine for him. He needs an APAP/CPAP machine and it was ordered on Wednesday. It should be here in a couple of days.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Witz--

One thing you did not mention....

What is his evening routine? Does husband eat dinner fairly close to bedtime? Or have a little something after dinner while he watches TV?

If so, try moving dinner up an hour or two and cut out ALL evening snacks.

Sometimes, the stomache makes all the difference. Full = loud snoring. Empty = no snoring at all.

Give it a try....

--DaisyF

Lothlorien

This is going to sound really strange, but my husband snores terribly. When he does the Atkins diet, he does not snore. Bizarre, I know, but it's true.

witzend

Hmm.... I know he kept his tonsils, but not sure about his adenoids. The ENT surgeon knows that tonsils are good for blocking infection, so they were kept. It seems like the adenoids went.

We usually eat about 5 - 6 hours before bed, so that's probably not it. The Atkins diet. Hmmm.... He'd love all the meat. He'd really miss his pasta, potatoes, & bread. I think he'd try it though. The thing is, you can't trust him to stick to anything away from home!

He's still sleeping. He's been there for 11 hours. I will let him go another hour or two as he has to go into work today for an indeterminate number of hours. "Until it gets done", which could be until midnight. Then he can snore me to sleep again.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't know what else to tell you, Witz -- (((Hugs))). Did you consider a second opinion on the apnea at a different sleep lab?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Witz,

There is a new sleeping band out that looks much like something that you would use if you went skiing to keep your ears warm, except you fasten it on the top of your head and wear it under your chin. My Mom sent in to me for DF. He sleeps at the opposite end of the house and I can still hear him.

So she sends this little gadget and I said - "Mom sent something for your snoring." and he said "Oh great - I'll try anything." and I pulled it out of the carton and he looked at it and I looked at it and he said "How does it work?" and so you know me. I wrapped it around his mouth like a muzzle and said "There - I think that's the most proper fit." and walked away. :surprise:
In case you are wondering - they don't work either. Not the muzzle way - but the way they were made to work. (Dratted man - he found the instructions) :tongue: - apparently I'm NOT funny. :laugh:

Oh yes I am....have you had to listen to YOU snore??? :angel3: Dear God please make him SHUT UP. amen.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
There is a new sleeping band out that looks much like something that you would use if you went skiing to keep your ears warm, except you fasten it on the top of your head and wear it under your chin.

husband was given one of these to use in conjunction with his cpap/bipap/whatever machine (he's on his third unit). It's supposed to keep the jaw from dropping back and down which also contributes to the snoring... helps keep the tongue in the right position, too, so that it doesn't slip back and add to the airway blockage.

Maybe trying that along with elevating his head would help?

There's got to be a solution out there somewhere. You both deserve and NEED better sleep!

KTMom91

If you find something, please let me know. I've slept in my recliner, with the door closed, and I can STILL hear Hubby snoring. You have my sympathies.

goldenguru

I'm married to a freight train too. His snoring shakes the rafters some nights.

I head for the spare bedroom most nights. I wish this weren't the case, but I have to work all day and must have some sleep. We always go to bed together, but when the noise sounds like a hurricane - I wander down the hallway with my pillow for calmer waters.

My parents have had separate bedrooms for 35 years. It works for them.

Many new homes (expensive homes) are now built with 2 masters suites connected by a bathroom. So, having separate bedrooms isn't as 'taboo' as it used to be.

You have my sympathies.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Here it is called a Casita! Or in some areas a Shed... You set up a little cot or bed... send him out there for bedtime. You get the main house and a nice nights sleep! ;)