Skype? Who needs it! Found the best thing since sliced bread and wanted to share

Mattsmom277

Never was one to get into skype, since not many people i would call long distance have skype et.

Google launched their new calling service yesterday, I never heard about it until stumbling on a story on the news site I use. Decided since I have a gmail account for email, I'd see if it really works as its cracked up to be. And it does!

Took me under one minute (literally) to install the little plug in thingamajig. Dialed my own phone number and was using it instantly. Its crystal clear and allows me to call any landline or cell phone in Canada and the US for free. Apparently you can call oversees (such as the UK) for cheap (UK is I think 2 cents a minute from north america).

The other party doesn't need anything, not even a computer. My ancient laptop worked perfect, the built in speaker worked just fine. I did plug in some headphones to get a nice clear sound to hear the other side. S/O is using his mini netbook right now and talking to his brother long distance. No lag, no different from using our home phone.

We have a long distance block on our phone so have had to buy long distance phone cards to make calls which was annoying.

Thought you all might like to know about it and to know it really does work as described. Simply open your gmail, click the call button, type in the phone number (area code and 7 digit number) and you're calling like a home phone. No fancy tweaking of settings or anything annoying or techy ( I am soooo not techy).

Mattsmom277

Let me know what you think. I just called across to the east coast and spent an hour talking to my foster mother. I forgot I wasnt' using a regular phone, it was that impressive. I'm a complete fan haha.

Apparently for a nominal fee you can join up for a subsciption to google voice where you can get a phone number and people can call in as well as you calling out. It only works for those in the US though. So not sure if that is something worthwhile. But I can get reallllly used to never paying for a long distance call ever again! My S/O is going to pick us up a wireless headset to work with the computer so we can use it the same as a portable phone when we make Learning Disability (LD) calls. I have no problem just using some simple headphones though and hte built in microphone. My foster mother and S/O's brother both said they couldn't tell we were calling from anything other than a landline.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sounds cool. Will pass it to my folks, as they have lots of friends in the UK, as do my inlaws. What plug thingy did you need? Just something to plug in headphones? Or something else?

Mattsmom277

Susie, the plug in I meant was a small install I had to do from within gmail in order to use the service. It just took a minute to install and I was up and running.