Sleep Apnea

svengandhi

As part of my desperate quest for a lapband operation, I underwent sleep testing. I was found to have mild to moderate sleep apnea and my machine was delivered tonight. I am SO excited to be using it. Hopefully, H will remember to buy the distilled water it requires when he brings youngest home from Boy Scouts.

I really hope that this will help me lose weight because my insurance is not wanting to give me the surgery.

Has anybody ever used this before? The one I have goes only in the nose and is very small and quiet.

I can wait to go to sleep.

slsh

member since 1999
husband has a CPAP (think Hannibal Lector mask - I think you may have Bi-PAP?) and it's made a *huge* difference for him. No more heartburn, BiPolar (BP) has returned to normal, and he sleeps very well. Hasn't helped him lose weight but... that's more because he grazes 24/7, LOL. It took me a while to get used to sleeping next to Hannibal, but now I sleep better. His apnea used to wake me up - I'd lie there and wait for him to start breathing again.

Hope you had a wonderful night's sleep!!

Estherfromjerusalem

My son-in-law uses a machine like that, with a mask. Yes, it looks a bit frightening, but the quality of all their lives has improved no end. After years of being unemployed because he was so exhausted all the time (and my daughter supported them working like crazy, they have six children), he is now working and holding down a job, and actually has a life again. It is a wonderful thing, that mask thing. I'm waiting to hear how you slept!!!

Love, Esther

DammitJanet

I want that operation too. Okay maybe wanting the operation isnt the word, need it is more like it. I dont think I have sleep apnea. I have severe insomnia.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband has been using the BiPAP version of this device for about three years now. He had severe apnea, and it affected my sleep as well because of always being woken up by his snoring. I have to say it has really improved his sleep and he's waking up more rested now.

The idea behind it helping with weight loss is that if you get better sleep, you will have more energy during the day and be more physically active. Face it, who wants to exercise when you wake up feeling wiped out every morning?

I hope you are able to stick with it and that it improves your sleep so that you can feel better during the day. I tried wearing husband's mask on a lark and it made me feel kinda panicky wearing the mask. He has no problem with it, but some people are given an rx for an anti-anxiety medication to help them get through that initial angst. We never had to fill husband's, but you should be aware in case that happens with you.

Steely

My aunt just lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks because of this machine........My Uncle has one too. Good luck!!! I think it will *really* help.

KTMom91

Hubby and I both have them. I have the full mask thingie, because I don't like things in my nose. I just need to use mine consistently.