Sleep Deprived EEG?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
So our new pediatrician has set one up for K!!! Only took 2 years! So I am really nervous, only 4 hours of sleep. What if this triggers her? Yikes.
They said it takes about 1 hour and they will restrain her if I OK it. UGH

Question: were your kids medication free for this? K is only on Seroquel. I have a call in to her pediatrician to see what she wanted. I realize this EEG isn't going to rule out or R/I anything but maybe give us an idea.
K had asked for a brain scan before, so I think I can help calm her by talking to her about this and giving her the details.
Any advice info would be appreciated. She can sleep from 12-4... and the woman said, "no caffeine"
I laughed and said what about me???
TIA

klmno

If I remember correctly, psychiatric medications stayed as normal, diet of course was different the night before- or something was different- maybe it was just the "no caffeine". The hardest part was me staying up all night (I think because my son is older- he had to saty awake all night)- it nearly killed my old tired body!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Totoro,
I don't know but will be watching this closely as we are trying to set up a sleep study for difficult child.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Well we go in the morning! Yikes! She is actually excited about it. Bizarre kid... She saw a show a while back about brain imaging, so we were able to use that as a discussion. I guess they make her hyperventilate and then flash strobe lights in her eyes, to try and induce any kind of abnormal brain activity. She can then sleep for the rest of the test. Or at least that is what I read on their site. It is a fully brand new center, state of the art, which is cool!
Friday we go for full allergy testing. Poor kid, she has been stuffy since she was born! So we are finally being listened to.

I don't know how I am going to keep her up until midnight? She has been falling asleep by 9 every night. I am thinking WII, movies, snacks... even swimming at night!
Wish us luck.
We are going to take them to some new movie, no clue what it is, on Friday after all of this. Then next week she meets her new therapist!

Last edited:

klmno

Wow! That is a lot of excitement for a little girl!! I hope you can make this a fun "stay up late" night. Good luck getting up in the morning! Oh- prepare yourself for see the wires tabbed to her head- it won't hurt her but it doesn't look like anything we mothers want to see.

Steely

I remember trying to keep M and myself awake for that. M was not such a problem, I just had to nudge him a little while watching a movie or whatever, and he was up and going for another couple of hours. Me, however, sigh. At the time I do not remember it triggering mania in M, he was simply exhausted at the end. But you never know what can trigger the kiddos with BiPolar (BP).

So glad you are finally getting the help and treatment you have waited so long for.
Hugs
Steely

Last edited:

smallworld

Toto, good luck tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes.

by the way, my daughter A was on Depakote when a sleep-deprived EEG was ordered. We reduced it to make sure it wasn't suppressing seizures. Because Seroquel isn't an anticonvulsant, it shouldn't be a problem for this test.