Slowing down the cut back

Andy

medication doctor states difficult child needs time to adjust to decrease in Clonazapam and use his coping skills to get a handle on his anxiety. It had been so long since he felt like this that difficult child forgot to do the skills this weekend.

We are keeping him on 1/2 tab 3 times a day for another week or two, taking it down to 1/2 tab 2 times a day for two weeks, then 1/2 tab once a day for two weeks then off.

medication doctor also said that not everyone gains a tolerance for clonazepam and difficult child can try it again when he is older.

I will have him make poster boards with the details of his coping skills to remind him when fears start to mount.

JJJ

I wish the psychiatrists had a better grasp on how medications will affect our kiddos. Tigger is being slowly weaned off of everything as I want to see my son unmedicated for the first time in 4 years. I think we were at the point that we were adding medications to treat side effects of other medications.

I hope your son has a graceful withdrawal -- at least it is summer and no calls from school ;)

Steely

This is so tough! Many adults find it challenging! Is there a plan to give him something else to help with anxiety?

Wish you all the luck, and many hugs.

Andy

He gets 30 mg Flouxetine once a day so there is still room to increase if needed. He was doing fine until we took from .5 to .25 three times per day of Clonazepam (after one week of .75 to .5).

We want him to work on his coping skills to keep medications at a minimum. So, the balancing act of what is just right, not too little and not too much. Then when you find that magic dosage, there is a growth in some area and a change is needed again.