Small memories of happiness

Malika

Tonight I drove to a garage some way away to get petrol (or whatever you call it in the US :)). There was a fire engine in the garage, filling up, with firemen standing around. When I'd filled the car up, I took J over to look at it as he loves (like all small boys) firemen and fire engines. I said this to them and they immediately asked if J wanted to see inside the cockpit - or whatever you call it. J duly went up with the head fireman, who explained things and asked him questions. They were very impressed that he speaks two languages! J was shy but clearly happy. Before they left, they put the siren on for him.
A small thing - but a happy memory for J. I'd like him to have as many as possible of those...

buddy

Oh Malika that is so sweet. I felt like we were there with you. Love that so much. (yeah, strange that we say gas for gasoline.....and to tell the truth I dont know the front of a fire truck....is it a "cab" like in big rig trucks? I like your words just fine.)

InsaneCdn

Malika - part of what makes these moments extra sweet is that they are 100% normal.
Pretty much every single boy alive wants to be able to sit in a fire-truck!

Malika

Well, J is not from another planet you know, Insane :) But I know you didn't mean anything by your comment...

KTMom91

How exciting for him! Do any of the fire stations there have any kind of an "open house"? I took Miss KT to one when she was little. We got to tour the fire station, the firemen barbequed hot dogs, and the kids got to examine the fire truck and all their gear. I bet J would love it.

DDD

Our elementary school has a walking field trip to the fire station for first graders if I rememer correctly. Did the walk twice but it's been alot of years. The children love it. BUT your visit was so special because it was just for him. How cool! I'm sure he will always remember that..and you too. Hugs. DDD

InsaneCdn

Malika -
J is a bit like K1, I think... for the most part, closer to "normal" than "not"... but the "nots" are not exactly small...
What I meant was... so often, we get wrapped up in the "challenges" and forget to look for and appreciate the "normal" in our lives - not just the normal in the kid, but the whole "big picture" stuff.

It really helps US as parents when we get moments like these... 100% positive, 100% issue-free, 100% normal. WE get to be "normal" parents, too!

I'm fortunate - our "normal" moments now outnumber our "challenges" by a long shot. But it wasn't always that way. Its the small stuff that gets me every time... like, for so many years, it was almost impossible to get even a "reasonable" school picture (used up all the retries and custom specials... still no luck!)... this year? first set... is the best we've EVER had. For the first time, I can "compare notes" with the other parents... if I want to. Until now, it wasn't even an option.

H

HaoZi

Memories like that are so wonderful and precious.

And plenty of us grown women like firemen, too! ;)

Malika

Malika -

What I meant was... so often, we get wrapped up in the "challenges" and forget to look for and appreciate the "normal" in our lives - not just the normal in the kid, but the whole "big picture" stuff.

It really helps US as parents when we get moments like these... 100% positive, 100% issue-free, 100% normal. WE get to be "normal" parents, too!

I'm fortunate - our "normal" moments now outnumber our "challenges" by a long shot. But it wasn't always that way. .

That is truly great that you have come so far with your son (or he has come so far) - that must give you a lot of satisfaction. Sounds as if there has been some hard work along the way...
Yes, I agree... very important to see the whole picture, which includes nice things as well as difficult ones... J actually gives me a lot of joy and pleasure - do I ever talk about that? :) He has now gone to school but before he left was what has become typical in the mornings - nice, relaxed moments together, no strain or stress, he got his clothes and got dressed by himself, made himself breakfast (on his insistence), played with his cars. We talked and joked. Only ropey moment was when he wanted to have something - I forget what now - that I said he couldn't have and he started going into a shriek; I started imitating him in a kind of comedy (not mocking) way and he instantly started laughing. Crisis over. On the way to school we had an interesting conversation about all the different languages in the world :)
So we have lots of times like that. But I don't come here to post about those... And this will be "famous last words" because tonight there'll be some sort of crisis or mini-crisis, for sure :)