Smokin' Smarties

KTMom91

Just saw this on the news...and checked youtube...and I don't understand.

I understand the concept...there's a tutorial...but I don't understand why you would do that in the first place.

Anyone able to enlighten me?

klmno

My guess is it is just a dumb kid thing to act like he's smoking without actually smoking. I can't imagine that there would be any high out of it. Somebody is likely to end up choking though- especially once younger kids start it.

DammitJanet

Do you mean the Smartie's candy? Why would one want to smoke those? They are just sugar and color.

Now I will admit that when I was an early teen we used to dry banana peels and smoke them. Why I will never know.

susiestar

Roll With It
Apparently they are not actually smoking the candy. They crush the candy up into a fine powder and **** it from the wrapper. Then they exhale quickly to send a cloud of the crushed candy out into the air. It is supposed to look like a cloud of smoke from a cigarette.

A doctor was quoted as saying it isn't actually harmful, though it may be uncomfortable if a the candy gets inhaled or pieces get stuck in the nose (kids even try to exhale it through their noses - snarfing powdered candy, eeuuw). But the candy will eventually dissolve, so no lasting harm will be done.

It is worried that this is a gateway activity to smoking.

I would do what I could to stop my children from doing this. I think it is dumb and poses a choking risk. And anything that imitates smoking is not an acceptable activity for kids, in my opinion.

One school says it is a "class 2 offense" meaning students caught in possession of smarties will get detention. THAT bothers me. I would fight detention for possession of smarties. For being caught "smoking" them, detention would not be a problem. But MANY groups give out smarties at various functions and possession of them should NOT be punished. Kids are dumb enough to pretend to smoke them in front of adults - and they will be caught. That is enough. The entire goal is to freak out adults and impress your friends. So enough of the kids who do this will be discovered. And THAT is when detention or whatever is OK.

The entire thing seems very stupid to me. But kids do stupid stuff all the time.

DammitJanet

Ya know what is funny? Smarties are one of my favorite candy. Always have been. Never occurred to me to smoke them or snort them. I had far better things to smoke!

I wonder if I can convince the lil idiots in Corys trailer park that these are the "newest and greatest" in recreational drugs!

trinityroyal

I guess each generation has its thing.

When I was in Gr. 6, one of the candy manufacturers started making bubblegum "cigarettes". The gum was tube shaped, wrapped in white wax paper, and there was powder under the paper. When you blew through the tube, the powder would puff out. From a distance, it looked like we were smoking, and yes, it did freak out the grown-ups.

It was stupid then, and it's stupid now. And BOY, did we ever get in trouble from the school Principal.

I agree Susie. Having smarties shouldn't warrant punishment. Using them to "smoke" should.

Trinity

Abbey

Spork Queen
Tried to post this yesterday but couldn't get access for more the a minute. Think back in the day when you smoked candy cigarettes. I remember getting a good arse whopping when a neighbor of mine saw me and told my parents. It sounds pretty harmless to me.

Abbey